Pumpkin Risotto

October 30, 2014

Squash risotto usually doesn’t have a whole lot of squash flavor – so much so that this almost landed on the clunker pile.  At the last-minute I found this gorgeous recipe that uses Pumpkin Broth so it captures that elusive squash flavor in spades –  Genius I tell you!

It takes a little extra time but it’s well worth it, and unlike most dishes, it doesn’t taste as good the second day.  There are also some delicious add-ons that you can stir in at the end – I tried them all, but the photographs are before that – fresh mozzarella and arugula makes for a gooey, glob of deliciousness – but not a great photograph.

Pumpkin Risotto

adapted from the Union Square Cafe cookbook

Broth:
In a large soup pot over med-high heat with a little oil or butter:

1 Medium Onion peeled and diced

2 Carrots peeled and sliced thin

1 Celery Stalk washed and sliced thin

1 Leek washed and sliced thin

Saute` and sweat for about 10 minutes until very limp.  Add and continue to cook for another 3 minutes:

2 Cups Canned Pumpkin Puree – a 15oz can will do

Reduce heat and add:

8 Cups Chicken Stock

1 Bay Leaf

1/2 tsp whole Pepper Corns

6 Allspice Berries

1/4 to 1/2 tsp fresh ground Nutmeg

1/4 tsp Cinnamon

2 Tbsp Maple Syrup

Let simmer for 30-40 minutes add more spice if you think necessary.

While the broth is simmering for the last 15-20 minutes you can start on your risotto.  I found that it was much easier to strain the broth as I needed it instead of all at once.  This meant that as I was stir, stir, stirring the risotto, the next cup of broth was straining.  This way I didn’t have the urge to squish it through the strainer in turn getting pure broth and no puree – ideal.

Risotto

In a large skillet heat a little olive oil and stir in:

1 1/2 Cups Arborio Rice

1 1/2 Cups Diced Pumpkin or other hard squash you like

Stir until rice starts to turn opaque then add:

1/2 Cup Dry White Wine

Stir until completely absorbed then add:

1 Cup STRAINED Pumpkin Broth

Stir until completely absorbed then add:

1 Cup STRAINED Pumpkin Broth

Keep stirring and adding a cup of the warm broth at a time and having it completely absorb before you add the next cup.  You should end up doing this a total of 6 times and possibly a little more depending upon how much liquid you can strain.

When finished add:

Kosher Salt and Fresh ground Pepper to taste

1 Tbsp Finely Minced Sage

1/4 Cup Freshly Grated Parmigiano Cheese

Additionally – if you’re feeling decadent – you can add:

1/2 Cup Diced Fresh Mozzarella

2-3 Cups Fresh Arugala or Mesculine Mix Lettuce

3 Tbsp Butter – glorious butter!

1. October 27, 2009 8:07 pm

I love the idea of pumpkin broth and the resulting risotto sounds excellent!

2. October 30, 2014 5:39 pm

i am a huge fan of pumpkin especially in the fall. i love the idea of this!

3. tokyoterrace permalink
    October 31, 2014 8:44 am

Looks delicious! I love the photo at the top of the post. Brilliant!

4. October 31, 2014 10:52 am

Time out! Allspice is a berry?? No kidding! When I see it dried and ground up in the store, I always think it’s a combination of other spices, like curry powder. There’s the power of language for you, I guess.

Tasty picture! Thanks for sharing.

5. Shelly Huang permalink
    October 31, 2014 4:40 pm

Pumpkin Broth!? Ingenious! Must try that sometime soon.

6. Alastair permalink
    October 31, 2014 5:53 pm

this looks delicious! i was wondering though…i have a pie pumpkin i’ve been wanting to use so do you think i could just puree that to 15 oz or should i prepare it somehow first?

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 31, 2014 6:50 pm

I think that would be splendid! Just cut it up in small pieces and cook along with your other veggies in the broth then maybe mash them as you go along – or not – just let the broth cook the FULL time or longer to get maximum amount of flavor. Don’t forget to save some larger diced pumpkin for the risotto half of the recipe.
      Let me know how it turns out if you do try it.
      ~ Mary

7. October 31, 2014 7:01 pm

I’m a fan of just about anything pumpkin or risotto. This looks sooo good!!!

8. November 1, 2014 12:38 pm

I love pumpkin…I love risott…wait a minute…this is the perfect recipe for me! This recipe warms up my insides…can’t wait to make it!
    xoxo
    Ange from Bitchin’ Lifestyle

9. November 9, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Mary! Glad to see you’re still blogging. This pumpkin risotto sounds amazing!