Birthday Cake

April 4, 2012

Birthday CakeSqr

Happy Birthday Foodo!

I made this cake for Smidge’s (God Daughter) birthday, and thought what the hell, I’ll use it for a virtual birthday too.

Smidge

This is Christina Tosi’s “Birthday Cake” of Momofuku fame. unfortunately the cake did not equal the sum of its parts. The cake was good, the frosting was delightful, the milk crumb interesting and the visual effects astounding! But, put it all together and I was underwhelmed, and almost put off by the crunch in between the layers. If you were thinking of making this, might I suggest that you just buy the cake mix and canned frosting and throw some rainbow sprinkles in.
With that in mind – I will not be putting the recipe here, because I would never make this again. But if you really wanted to – there are plenty of sites that have the recipe. – just Google it.

Pout

Such a NUGGET!

1. April 4, 2012 3:42 pm

OMG, that last picture?? Priceless! I hate when you spend so much time on something and then you eat it and are like “eh!”

Looks gorgeous though!!

April 4, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks for always stopping by with the most gracious comments Biz! One of these days I’m going to get out of my rut and start visiting other sites again. As it is I can barely get my weekly post up and running >:<

2. April 5, 2012 11:07 am

Well, the cake does look good. The kid-sized chair is fun – too bad she doesn’t like the cake.

3. Katy permalink
    April 5, 2012 1:49 pm

LOVING the crabbypants scowl!

The cake looks gorgeous, too bad it’s gross.

April 5, 2012 4:37 pm

Well, I did have a second piece, later in the evening, just to make sure I wasn’t particularily fond of it. I think it was also because I had put so much time into it, that I just couldn’t believe that it wasn’t the sum of its parts. Oh well!
      ~Mary

4. Pat Winker permalink
    April 5, 2012 8:56 pm

What a PRECIOUS baby girl!!! Pout and all!!!
    The cake?? You so seldom have a failure, it’s nice to know you’re human!!

5. April 9, 2012 1:23 pm

The last picture is awesome! She really is a nugget.

6. lailani permalink
    April 10, 2012 4:55 pm

That cake looks like the fun…but that little one takes the cake! Absolutely stinkin cute! Hope all is well with you Mary!!

Cheers!!