Sweet Potato Spinach Salad

May 10, 2011

~Mary~

Oh my!

I’ve been bragging about this salad since January.  I was going to get some red quinoa, but I kept forgetting and really didn’t care, because this salad is so damn tasty, no matter what color.  I keep making it because I get such a craving for it.  I’d like to say I invented it myself, but truth be told, I emulated it from one of those fancy grocery stores.  I’ll leave it to you to guess which one..

Sweet Potato Spinach Salad
1 Bunch Fresh Spinach
2 Cups cooked Quinoa – red would be pretty
1 Cup Toasted Pecans
2-3 Sweet Potatoes peeled, diced and boiled- about 3 Cups
2-3 Green Onions, sliced

Dressing
3 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
3 Tbsp Honey
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Fresh Minced Ginger
2 Tbsp Roasted Sesame oil
1 Orange Zested

1. May 11, 2011 1:30 am

Nice salad! I like the use of the quinoa!

May 12, 2011 8:57 am

I bought all the ingredients yesterday. We’ve never had quinoa. I feel more confident writing it than pronouncing it! Accent is on the first sylable and the ‘qu’ is prenounced like ‘k’ I learned from the clerk at Byerly’s.
    I’m going to pair it with the Asian Meatball Soup for dinner. Katy wants me to have it when she’s here next Thursday….not sure I can wait that long…..it looks so good!

May 12, 2011 3:25 pm

You’ll want to have it again by then – I guarentee it! So, just make twice the amount of dressing.

I learned the phonetic pronunciation as Keen-wah.

I hope Fred is a fan, that way you can have it as often as we do!

• Pat permalink
        May 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Mary I’m making the salad now. Do I just use the zest of the orange, or do I chop up the orange as well? I’m guessing just the zest.

May 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Yes Patty, just the zest.

3. May 13, 2011 11:37 am

Love adding citrus to salads – this one is a winner Mary! Happy Friday!