Meyer Lemon Pancakes & Curd

April 19, 2011

Here’s an Easter treat to please young and old alike!   You might recognize the place setting from a facebook post a few months back.  The cute little nugget in the photo is our God child ‘Smidge’, we don’t see her (or her parents) often enough.

I was a little reluctant when I saw that the pancakes used 2 tablespoons of baking powder, but rest assured, it worked out wonderfully.  These were rated toward the top of the pancake list by all of us, and there have been several pancakes over the past couple years, on our visits to see Smidge.  John wanted to always have the “Steak of Pancake” aka Harvest Pancakes, but we’ve finally convinced him, that there are other types that are up to the breakfast challenge.

Meyer Lemon Curd

In a small sauce pan combine:

Squeeze 3-4 Meyer Lemons to get 3/4 Cups Lemon Juice

or 1/2 Cup regular Lemon Juice and 1/4 Cup Orange Juice

1/4 Cup Butter

1/2 Cup Sugar

2 Tbsp Cream or Whole Milk

4 Eggs lightly beaten

Cook and whisk constantly over medium heat until thick.

Strain through a fine mesh sieve.  Chill until you’re ready to use, then heat slightly to pour over pancakes.

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients, then set aside:

1 1/2 Cups Flour

2 Tbsp (YES, TABLESPOONS!) Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Salt

In another bowl combine wet ingredients:

2 Cups Ricotta

1/4 Cup Sugar

4 Eggs

1 1/3 Cups Milk

1/2 Cup Meyer Lemon Juice or regular and some orange

Zest of 2 Meyer Lemons

Whisk well, then combine with dry ingredients.  Do not over-mix the dry and wet ingredients, a few lumps ar okay.  Heat a non-stick griddle and measure out 1/4 cup of batter, wait to flip until the bubbles ont the outer edge of the pancakes stay open.  Serve with warmed Meyer Lemon Curd.

1. krypto092108 permalink
    April 19, 2011 1:06 pm

Gotta make me those!

2. April 19, 2011 10:03 pm

That curd is amazing – and I can see the little one agrees!

3. April 20, 2011 6:09 am

Now those are my kind of pancakes! YUM. And your little friend is a DOLL!

4. April 20, 2011 7:38 am

I have seen other recipes using that much baking powder. They look scrumptious!

April 20, 2011 10:16 am

The pancakes sound delicious!! But, the show-stealer is Smidge! She has Elmo sitting right at the table, and her little tea pot. What a tiny treasure!

6. April 20, 2011 1:38 pm

Oh my, how sweet!!! I love her little hand reaching out for the pancakes… so adorable! I don’t blame her, they look incredible!

7. April 20, 2011 3:53 pm

A delicious change up for the pancake breakfast, thanks!

8. April 20, 2011 11:10 pm

I have made lemon curd many times but never meyer lemon curd. Ricotta makes a fabulous pancake and I will have to give your recipe a try sometime.

9. Stephanie Hatfield permalink
    April 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Shawn still talks about those pancakes! So glad you tried them out on us, we’re so lucky! Tatum doesn’t even realize the celebrity that she is!

10. April 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Adorable pics!

11. April 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Yep, I use 2 tablespoons of baking powder in my pancakes too – and let the batter sit up to 30 minutes to let the baking powder do its magic – I am rewarded with the fluffiest pancakes!

Happy Easter to you!!!!

12. foodlvr permalink
    May 17, 2011 1:11 pm

These look amazing. That is a lot of baking powder but there is a lot of acid in these with the lemon juice so I can see why. I want a big stack!