Bolognese with Papardelle

March 25, 2011

I don’t have much to say about this recipe, other than it was adapted from Bon Appetite Magazine, and that it was down-right delicious!

As with most soups and stews, this one tastes great the longer it’s had a chance to sit. If you have the time, make it a day, or even two in advance.

Bolognese with Papardelle

In large pan with some Olive Oil saute`:

2 Cups Diced Onion

1 Cup Diced Celery

1 Cup Diced Carrots

2 Cloves Garlic, minced

Once onions have turned translucent, add, brown and break into smaller pieces:

1 Lb Ground Beef

1 lb Spicy Italian Sausage, casing removed

1/2 lb diced Bacon

Season with Kosher Salt and Pepper

Stir in:

1 Cup Whole Milk

1 Cup Dry White Wine

1/2 Cup Tomato Paste

1 1/2 Cups Canned Whole Tomatoes

2-3 Tbsp Honey

1/4 to 1/2 Cup Red Hot – depending on your tolerance for heat!

Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about an hour and 15 minutes.

While sauce is simmering, boil water and cook the pappardelle pasta, about a pound. Cook until al-dente, drain, then toss with sauce just before serving.

Top with Freshly grated

Parmesan Reggiano Cheese

1. Katy permalink
    March 27, 2011 6:32 pm

I keep looking at this picture and then wondering why I don’t have any on a plate in front of me. Looks so good!

2. March 28, 2011 11:11 am

Can I assume Red Hot is Frank’s hot sauce??!! I’d leave out the onions though!

Hope you had a great weekend Mary – when is our weather going to get better??

March 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Indeed! Frank’s Red Hot ROCKS!

• July 8, 2011 3:48 pm

You can’t leave out the onions though! They are necessary in the mirepoix, otherwise it’ll make the whole thing taste of carrots. I’d recommend using 1 cup of onions instead of 2, if you are not a lover of onions.

3. PeggyB permalink
    March 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Made this for the family on Sunday. I’m not Italian, nor have I made Bolognese before. It turned out so well. Thank you so much for the inspiration.

March 29, 2011 7:44 am

Glad you liked it! Thanks for coming back and letting me know!
      ~ Mary