Kev’s Whole Wheat Bread No.2

February 12, 2011

~ Patty ~
I used to bake bread, from scratch, every day!  Back in our farming days when we were trying to be sulf-sufficient.  We grew our own wheat.  I bought a grinder and we made flour.  Heavy wheat flour.  I had to mix it with white flour or the loaves were like lead!  Years later we got the Bread Machine.  Was that not the BEST invention ever?  I get tired just thinking of all the work we put ourselves through on that farm.  Funny part is I remember loving it!

This bread is perfect for sandwiches, preferably the grilled cheese type.

In 1993, as a Christmas gift, Kevin typed up all his favorite bread machine recipes, and I’ve been using them ever since.  The copies are splattered, tattered and torn now, so I’m grateful to get them here on to Foodo.  That means whenever I need one, I get a clean copy every time without having to dig through anything.

Kev’s Whole Wheat Bread No. 2

Using your bread machine place ingredients in this order:
1 pkg Dry yeast
1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Cups Bread Flour
3/4 Cup Oats
1/4 Cup Dry Milk
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Oil
5 Tbsp Honey
1 1/2 Cups Very Warm Water
Program machine for wheat bread and let ‘er rip.

1. February 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Beautiful bread Patty! I agree the bread machine is the greatest invention ever! Mine is almost 20 years old and on it’s last knead but still kicking 🙂

2. February 12, 2011 11:41 pm

Bread machine. It’s on my list.
    Nice photos.
    LL

3. Katy permalink
    February 13, 2011 7:58 am

I remember baking the bread on the wood stove in the winter while we were sewing in the basement. That’s a whole lotta self-sufficiency going on!

February 13, 2011 10:27 am

Good times, good times….. I don’t remember that, nor the bread making. My mind is deteriorating, or was it always so forgetful?

4. February 14, 2011 12:12 pm

We’re fans of this recipe too, although we substitute sugar for honey (we run out) and add an egg to get a little protein and extra rise. Adding an egg reduces the amount of water to add, so we do that by feel.

February 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Bread in the wood stove…..how well I remember!
    Every Tuesday we’d have a sewing ‘party.’ The gals would bring their own machines, fabrics, findings and we’d share our sewing skills with each other. It was an all day affair. Ping-pong table was our cutting table. We made oxtail soup on top of the wood stove and baked bread in the oven.
    Good times, good food, good company!