Bacon Cornbread

January 25, 2011

Of course, if you’re serving some amazing Texas Chili, you’ll need a cornbread that is equal in its superiority. This one’s for you Joesy!

Bacon Cornbread

IMHO (in my humble opinion), a cast iron skillet is essential. A 10- 12-inch one works nicely.

Get your oven nice and HOT! It needs to be at 400° before you set your pan in! Not on its way to 400° or after the oven gives you your pre-heat “BEEP”, but AT 400°! Do I make myself clear?

In a cast iron skillet fry up:
6-8 ounces Bacon diced, preferably a thick bacon that’s smoky like this.
Transfer to a paper towel, leave at least 2 tbsp of the grease in the pan.
Keep the pan HOT

While that’s working mix up your batter.
In a large bowl whisk together:
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Cornmeal
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt

In another bowl whisk to combine:
1 1/4 Cups Milk
1/3-1/2 Cup Honey
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Corn Oil
1 Cup Green Onions sliced
1 Cup Corn canned or frozen
Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring just to combine.
Gently fold in bacon. Do not over-mix.

Put the batter in your HOT skillet.
Bake at 400° until the top is golden brown, firm and springy to the touch. About 20-25 minutes.
Serve warm or at room temp.

1. Pat Winker permalink
    January 25, 2011 1:16 pm

You’re making me so HUNGRY and I’m just getting into my new diet. Nothing better than good Cornbread!!! I’m foregoing it for the moment, however, lest I eat the whole thing myself!!!
    I love the picture. It reminds me of when JP used to cut a design right in the middle of my sheet cake to have an early sample! The guitar was my favorite. Couldn’t help but laugh!

2. January 26, 2011 9:27 am

Wonderful side dish….and perfect to go with chili. 🙂 Bacon….a wonderful addition.

3. January 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Yum! Everything is better with bacon. We have to keep this in mind the next time we make cornbread.

We invite you to share this post and others on Food Frenzy. Please visit our community.

4. January 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Mary, this looks so yummy,I hear ya…cast iron skillet is must have….nice job:)

5. January 27, 2011 11:02 pm

Oh my word, that looks amazing! I’d love to sit down with a big bowl of chili and this cornbread by my side… YUM!

6. January 27, 2011 11:04 pm

Cast iron is critical, and so is this bacon!

7. January 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Ooooh I was just thinking about cornbread! Bought a ham and some collards, have to serve corn bread with that meal! I’m try your this weekend, thanks for the perfect timing and beautiful photos!

8. January 29, 2011 11:32 am

Everything’s better with bacon!

9. January 29, 2011 11:56 am

Texas chili is a bizarre affair. I had it for the first time recently and kept looking for the beans. 🙂

This cornbread, on the other hand, I’ll eat that whole skillet-ful. Bacon is food candy and I love the thought of it in here!

10. January 31, 2011 9:33 am

This looks absolutely delicious! I love cornbread, and I totally agree a cast iron skillet is key (at least, that’s how I always had it growing up in Alabama). I love bacon and green onions together, and I bet this would also be great with some cheddar cheese. Thank you so much for the fantastic recipe! I can’t wait to give it a try!

11. February 1, 2011 7:34 pm

I love it! Your instructions to get the pan hot are perfect! It is the key part to a great corn bread 😀

12. November 6, 2012 10:13 pm

Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post 🙂

1. Maple Cheddar Skillet Cornbread | Gluten Free Recipe on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking