Stollen

December 22, 2010

~ Mary ~

I’ve been working on stollen every weekend this month!  You may have even read my about my endeavors on Facebook.  I was bound and determined to emulate the Stollen from New Glarus bakery this year.  After trying stollen recipes, I was slightly closer and about stollened out.  The first one I tried had a most excellent flavor, but dang, it was so dense.  The other two turned out only fairly okay, not enough spice and sort of fluffy.  I wanted one that was somewhere right in the middle.  So, off I went again to make the perfect recipe.

I even made my own candied citrus!

I tried two NYTimes recipes and one from Food.com.

Here’s the NYT one that had the best flavor but didn’t rise AT ALL.

The Food.com one was only fair and using bread flour made no difference at all.

Then I tried the one in the new NYT Cookbook by Amanda Hesse, what a mamoth loaf that was!

After much thought and consideration this was my last and most successful round.  I’m never going to buy the New Glarus Stollen again, so I won’t know if I’ve hit the mark or not (I just moved the mark).  This way I’ll always get it spot on!

Plan ahead this bread takes a lot of time.  Letting the loaves sit a couple of days really makes a HUGE difference.  The flavors really have a chance to become enhanced.

Stollen!

Makes three medium 1 1/2 pound loaves or two large loaves

The night before you plan on making this masterpiece, soak these items in a bowl or a ziploc bag at room temp.:

1/2 cup craisins or raisins

1/2 cup golden raisins

1/2 cup dried cherries

1/3 cup dark rum

In a separate dish soak over-night:

1 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted

1/3 Cup Orange Juice or water

The day you plan on making the stollen:

In a large owl combine:

3/4 Cup Scalded Whole Milk

1 tsp Kosher Salt

1 Cup Soft Butter cut in pieces

1/3 Cup Sugar

Stir until butter is melted.  Let cool until lukewarm

In a small bowl combine:

1/4 Cup Warm Water

2 packages Active Dry Yeast

Stir to dissolve, let stand until it gets foamy,  add it into the milk mixture, then mix in:

1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon

1 1/2 tsp Ground Cardamom

1 1/2 tsp  Freshly Grated Nutmeg

1 1/2 tsp Freshly Lemon Zest

1 1/2 tsp  Vanilla

2 egg Yolks slightly beaten

Slowly stir in:

4 cups all-purpose flour

Get it to a nice soft dough that can be kneaded.  Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead in soaked fruit, nuts and:

1/4 cup chopped candied ginger

1/4 Cup chopped Candied Citrus optional, but it’s WONDERFUL! Chop it into tiny bits.

Knead until fruit is distributed evenly and dough is smooth, adding more flour if necessary.  Place in a lightly oiled bowl and let rise until doubled in size, 2 1/2 -3 hours.

Punch down dough, turn out onto floured surface, shape into two loaves about 12″x18″ place a roll of:

Marzipan

slightly off-center, fold the dough over and pinch down the edges.

Place on an insulated baking sheet or just double up a couple of sheets.  Cover with saran and let rise until just slightly under double in size 2+ hours.

Brush loaves with melted butter.

Bake at 350° for about an hour.  Temp inside loaf should be 190° when they are done.

Meanwhile, whisk together :

1/2 Cup Sugar

2  tsp Ground Ginger

When stollen is done, transfer loaves to a wire rack (leave stollen on pan). While still hot, brush stollen with:

1/2 Cup of Melted Butter, letting butter soak into loaves.

Sprinkle ginger sugar on tops and sides of loaves.

When loaves are completely cool, store in ziploc bags over night.

The next day, sift

1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

over loaves, rolling to coat bottom and sides evenly with sugar. Wrap each loaf in plastic or ziploc and let sit at room temperature for at least 2 days before sifting another

1/2 cup confectioners sugar over loaves and serving.

1. December 22, 2010 10:23 am

Never had Stollen before. That looks like a dessert that I would like with all the spices and dried fruits.

December 22, 2010 10:23 am

I can’t wait to taste some of your Stollen. It’s my favorite Christmas bread!! Your final recipe sounds great!!! Good job, Mary!!!

December 22, 2010 11:57 am

I thought Tea Ring was your favorite!
      ~Mary

3. December 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Oh, my gosh…you went ALL out! What a beautiful stollen…I love the marzipan in the middle!

4. December 22, 2010 9:08 pm

What beautiful loafs! And even candying your own citrus! These look great 🙂

5. December 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Beautiful… I’m sure it’s just as delicious!

6. December 23, 2010 12:37 am

My grandmother always buys or makes stollen this time of the year, and she has told me it is difficult to get it just right. Kudos for being determined and not giving up! 🙂

7. December 23, 2010 5:48 am

I have never tried stollen before. It looks like fun to try and seems so delightful 🙂

8. December 23, 2010 9:07 am

That looks truly amazing. I’ve never made stollen before, but I’m awfully curious to try!

9. December 23, 2010 11:59 am

looks wonderful
    happy holidays

10. December 23, 2010 1:02 pm

The Daring Bakers made Stollen this month, so if you are into the mood, you may try yet another recipe 😉

11. December 24, 2010 2:28 am

Stollen wow! You’ve really put me in the Christmas spirit now!
    No worries about the link – your pics of the speculoos figures were great, really reminded me of being in Belgium!
    Sx.

12. Shannon permalink
    December 24, 2010 5:51 pm

I printed this to save for next year!! Thanks!!

13. December 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Absolutely beautiful photos – congrats on making Top 9!

14. December 26, 2010 10:15 am

OMG! Brent and I would just talking about Stollen the other day. He learned about it from a client he was styling. After the hair cut, he texted me to look it up and make it. Now I don’t have to look any further!

HI MARY!

15. foodlvr permalink
    January 6, 2011 8:42 pm

I am sorry my response is so late. I have not been on Food Buzz in quite a long while. I apologize for that.

The stollen looks amazing. I have eaten it once and it was delicious. The old adage “If at first you fail, try try again” works here.

By the time it is December 2011, you will be back in the mood for stollen.