Sweet Potato Hobo Pack

November 24, 2010

Heres a great little alternative to those overly sweet marshmallow wonders that grace your T-day table that, often times, could actually double as dessert.  The hobo pack is usually done on the grill, a most excellent way to save on oven space, but could easily be done in the oven as well.

Even if you don’t go for this for T-day, do give it a whirl another day of the week.  They’re pleasantly aromatic and have a bit of a sweet and savory riff going on, all the while being healthy as can be for you and yours.

This is another excellent recipe from the cookbook “License to Grill”, which I’ve use a lot over the past few years.

Sweet Potato Hobo Pack

In a large bowl, toss to combine:

4 Medium Sweet Potatoes, washed, cut into rounds, but not peeled

1 Orange sliced, including the peel

1 Large Red Onion peeled and cut into large slices

1/3 Cup Raisins

2-4 tbsp Olive Oil

Lay out two heavy duty pieces of aluminum foil about 2’x1′.  Dump the contents of the bowl in the center.  Optional to place dabs of butter around.

Bring ends together and double fold all open edges.  Place in oven or on grill or in coals for 30-40 minutes.

While hobo pack is cooking, whisk to combine:

1/3 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice

1/3 Cup Honey

1/3 Cup Chopped Parsley

Pour over potatoes before serving.

1. November 24, 2010 8:43 am

Wow the sweet potato looks so delicious! It sounds interesting with orange and raisin. I simply need to make this 🙂

November 24, 2010 9:11 am

These sweet potatoes look sooooo good! I LOVE the idea of the foil package!
    We have sweeet potatoes often these days. Usually just boiled. Nice to have a new recipe. Thanks!

3. November 24, 2010 1:38 pm

I can’t do sweet potatoes, but they look pretty!

Have a great Thanksgiving! 😀

4. November 24, 2010 9:56 pm

I have never done sweet potatoes with lemon – so this intrigues. I love the hobo pack! Happy Thanksgiving!

5. November 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Great idea. Its high time we hobos get credit for our cuisine. High time! King of the Road, my foot. King of the oil drum barbecue, I say.

6. November 26, 2010 3:46 pm

WOW – wish I had a sweet potato at home and I’d be fixing that tonight. Printing the recipe to make! Kate@kateiscooking

7. December 2, 2010 9:10 pm

What an awesome idea. I’m so not into the sickening sweet marshmallow covered pureed stuff. This is perfect. Thanks for sharing it. I can’t wait to try it out on my family!

1. This is me not writing my theory paper. « Long Distance Casserolationship