Grilled Corn on the Cob

August 4, 2010

Each summer as kids Patty (mom) let us pick a ‘crop’ to grow in the garden.  I say crop because the garden was HUGE!  Being young and stupid, I chose beans.  There were green beans, string beans, wax beans, yellow beans and pole beans and, and, and….  There were 19 rows of beans!  This meant planting those beans, tilling between the rows, WEEDING those beans and harvesting beans.  Beans, beans, beans.  It’s no wonder I hate gardening to this day.

Sean, however, chose corn as his crop.  There’s NOTHING easier to grow than CORN!  Plant it and watch it grow.  I despised Sean, not only because was he smart enough to pick the easiest crop, he also SOLD it by the side of the road.  Every afternoon, he’d time it perfectly and be out there when people were coming home from work.  He’d set up camp at the side of the road and sell sweet corn for about $2 a dozen.  Seething jealousy doesn’t even begin to describe my pain.  I’m sure his memory and story is a LOT different!  After all, he was working in the fields all day and this was probably a huge respite for him.  All I remember is my grubby little brother smiling from ear to ear (pun intended) at the dinner table EVERY evening in August, after another successful two hours of sales.

After a few years of growing corn up in the garden, we talked Fred (dad) into planting a couple of rows of sweet corn along with the field corn, making the growing even easier.  Patty also changed the gardening plan after a while, and we all had to be out there tilling, planting, watering, weeding and picking everything.

Once we were done with that, it was on to topping, tailing, peeling, processing, canning and freezing, but that’s another story.

Grilling corn couldn’t be easier, and obviously neither could growing it.  Grilling takes the steamy heat, from a big ol’ vat of boiling water, out of your kitchen and gives you time to overlook the acre-sized garden while you’re doing it.

one year ago: Blueberry Corn Pancakes,  Baleadas

Grilled Corn on the Cob

De-tassel your cobs.

Just open up the top half of the husk and take out the silky tassel.

Cover the cob back up and soak your cobs in a big tub of salted water for 4 -12 hours or more won’t hurt.  This allows the husk to get good and soaked – that way it will steam the corn on the grill rather than burn the husks.

I’ve also done a smaller amount in a gallon sized ziploc bag.  You just need to trim the top and the bottom so they fit in the bag.

I’ve never measured my salt to water ratio, but if I had to I’d say I use about 1 Tbsp of Kosher Salt per Quart of Water.  Really, it’s all a matter of your taste preference and everyone will probably salt their cobs before eating too.

Preheat  your grill to medium high and roast corn about 2-3 minutes for each quarter turn.  Basically just place it on the grill, let it sit 2-3 minutes then do a quarter turn.  Let it sit another 2-3 minutes and do another quarter turn and so on.  Serve immediately.  You can either husk them yourself or, if you’re outside, let your guests husk their own.

1. August 4, 2010 9:16 am

This looks great! Awesome photos too!

August 4, 2010 10:49 am

Great memories, Mary! The good old days!

3. wanda permalink
    August 4, 2010 2:37 pm

We love grilled corn and believe me he has told us that story a hundred times…..everytime corn is more than $1 a dozen at the store I hear about how he sold it I have to remind him that was 35 years ago…although we found corn at Walmart 20 for $1 and he went nuts. We filled the grocery cart to the top….not kidding and came home and had a corn freezing party. 35 bags of corn in the freezer!!! Woo hoo!!

4. Katy permalink
    August 4, 2010 3:43 pm

Corn freezing party?! That Sean sure knows how to do it up right!

5. August 6, 2010 6:54 am

Couldn’t agree with you more…add some chili powder and butter and I’m good to go.

6. August 6, 2010 8:18 am

Awesome and funny post! That corn looks so good.

7. August 6, 2010 10:04 am

Ah, sibling rivalry. I’m surprised most of us made it to adulthood. I love grilled corn and make it the same way. It turns out so tender and juicy. Yum.

8. August 6, 2010 5:49 pm

This is the best way to eat fresh corn! I love grilling it but had the problem with the burnt husk so I’d wrap it in aluminum foil , thanks for your tip I will definitely try it out.

9. foodlvr permalink
    August 6, 2010 8:15 pm

I love corn. I buy it locally and we have a lot of corn farms around here. Every week I buy 6 corns from the local farms and this way I can use it two ways (there are only 3 of us).

I have grilled it with some success but I prefer to either cut it off the cob and saute it OR I steam it in the microwave and then brush it with a flavored butter OR sprinkle it with parmesan. Last week I did something different though – I made a Corn Pesto. I saw the recipe in the latest issue of Bon Appetit and had to try it. Worked really well. It was so good. I am going to make a batch to freeze too. We loved it.

Your picture makes me so hungry.

A cute story too. I have my son help me with the garden every year – we grow several types of heirloom tomatoes and lots of chiles and then some other things – basil, scallions, etc. This year we grew garlic and it was a big success. I have 5 bulbs left. Enjoying every clove. It is the best thing to grow your own food.

10. Sean (yeah that one) permalink
    August 6, 2010 11:52 pm

Glory days! I think there might be a song in there somewhere. How about the chickens, you’ll have to do a post on our chicken escapades. So as Wanda put above, 20 ears for $1 at Wally world, I guess they over ordered for 4th of July. We had to do it, good thing we didn’t have plans that night. We bought 160 ears. 😉

11. August 8, 2010 8:04 pm

I love grilling corn on the cob and yours turned out so well. The pictures (and food!) just scream summer. I also got a good laugh at the story from your childhood. I probably would have planted green beans too 🙂

12. Lynn Bennett permalink
    May 27, 2011 7:41 pm

going to a lake cookout this weekend, will have to try this…my son loves corn on the cob.

13. August 9, 2011 8:49 pm

I love grilled corn! I miss having a bbq grill now that I live in an apartment.

14. Sherree permalink
    June 12, 2012 1:35 pm

If you’re serving a group…. we’ve put the cooked corn in an empty ice chest as they’re done and let them sit, adding more and more corn. They keep each other warm and are delish!

June 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Great idea, thank you for sharing!

15. MsgtMf permalink
    June 9, 2013 8:39 am

Another variation is to completely husk the corn, spray with some olive oil cooking spray, then just grill on a low-medium grill. BE SURE TO TURN OFTEN! Cook till corn is just starting to brown. Crisp, smokey, great tasting corn!

1. Recipe Ideas for Camping