Carmelized Bananas

July 21, 2010

An easy simple treat to throw on the grill after dinner.  The coconut milk really has a lot of flavor when reduced!  You can make the sauce up quite a bit in advance and have the kids skewer the bananas right before grilling.

I used apple bananas if you use larger bananas Steve Raichlen advises to partially flatten them half-way through grilling for more even cooking.  I advise to definently use two skewers or you’ll have a dickens of a time flipping them over.

we were pretty prolific last year: Greek Marinated Spatchcock Chicken, Rustic Crustless QuicheShrimp Cake Stacks

Carmelized Bananas

from Planet Barbecue!

In a saucepan over medium heat combine:

1/4 – 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

1-14ounce Can Coconut Milk – unsweetened

Bring to a boil whisking to dissolve sugar.  Simmer until it gets thick and golden in color.

Cool, can be made a day in advance, just bring it to room temp before using.

Skewer your bananas.

Grill over medium-high heat on an oiled grate with a double layer of foil to protect skewers – as seen in the photos.

Grill 1-3 minutes on each side then dip or brush on the sauce.  Return to grill and continue to cook until they get dark and sizzle.

Serve on platter drizzled with more sauce.

1. July 21, 2010 7:50 pm

I have thought about making these for a long time now, seeing these pictures its now a must do! looks wonderful!

2. July 24, 2010 4:07 pm

Those would be a big hit around here.
    Haven’t heard the word “dickens” in a while…cute!

By the way we made your glazed peaches, they rocked, the sauce is genius!

3. July 25, 2010 3:18 pm

I luv banana what-evers…never thought of grilling them…can’t wait to try this. The banana’s don’t stick to the grates? Yum..luv it!

4. July 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Looks delicious and simple

5. July 25, 2010 7:00 pm

never heard of apple bananas – like the two skewer idea

6. Jessie -- The Messie Kitchen permalink
    July 25, 2010 7:20 pm

Wow. This would be wonderful overtop some vanilla ice cream!!

7. July 25, 2010 8:41 pm

I’ve seen bananas fried and sauteed but on the grill is definitely different! These look great and I can imagine the flavor of the coconut milk on them after they get those beautiful grill marks 😀

8. July 25, 2010 11:15 pm

These look so fun for entertaining. Thanks!

9. July 26, 2010 3:50 am

Wow…this looks great. This would be very good for BBQ party too. I would love to try. the sauce sounds very delicious.

10. July 26, 2010 8:11 am

Good on a stick, on a grilled, with sweet sauce sounds perfect to me.

11. July 26, 2010 5:47 pm

Oh, I can do these! Two sticks would be a necessity for us. I tend to lose things in the coals all the time. Thanks!

12. foodlvr permalink
    August 6, 2010 9:55 pm

This looks so good. I have Planet Barbecue but haven’t had time to really go through it yet and I haven’t cooked from it yet. Can’t wait though. I agree that a double skewer would be the way to go as it will make it much easier to flip. Thanks for the recipe.