Steak Bacon & Eggs

July 18, 2010

We used to have this breakfast joint Johnny’s Uncle Jim’s.  It closed.  We were VERY SAD, in fact, we still are.  Our waist lines thank us though. Johnny’s Uncle Jim’s was known for its MASSIVE breakfasts, in particular, Johnny’s Special: a platter of three eggs (cooked any way you like), ham, sausage, bacon, hash browns, mound of griddled veggies and toast for $5.95.

Another popular item was the FIVE egg omelet with veggies and hash browns, also for $5.95. When we took Katy and Carolyn,  they decided to split it.  When it came to the counter, Carolyn politely reminded the server “I’d like it split, please”  Johnny lovingly bellowed  ” That IS split, honey”.  Oh, we laughed hard at that one!

Johnny showed his gruff love for mankind in many ways, and once while breakfasting at the counter, we saw him serve this skinny college-aged kid at a table.  The guy was reading his paper, and when Johnny went by a second time, he hollered at him to put the paper down and start eating his breakfast!  The kid did it, too.

When we took Kevin & Mindy, Mindy had no idea where we were going, and ever the fashionista, she wore shoes with daisies.  Kevin was in euphoria and upon leaving mentioned there were apartments for rent, we could live there and have Johnny’s for breakfast AND lunch EVERY day!

Then there was the time our Antwerp friend Peter ordered breakfast, and his eyes about POPPED right out of his head as his plate was delivered; he cried,  “Is this for ONE person!?”

The veggies were always a conundrum to us.  Among all this sheer unbridled gluttony were these fresh grilled vegetables, usually cauliflower, broccoli and some other additions, AND they were TASTY!  Then it all came together, years later; when we saw Felix, the grill cook, take the cooked bacon platter, hold his hand over the bacon, tilt the platter and let all that delicious bacon grease fall onto those “healthy” veggies.  “Only at Johnny’s,” we sighed.

My favorite was the marinated skirt steak and eggs, the most expensive breakfast at a whopping $7.95. Three eggs over easy with about 12+ ounces of steak and of course it came with veggies, toast and hash browns .

This was the first time in years that a meal (we ate this for dinner) got us reminiscing about Johnny’s.

one year ago: Dulce de Leche Bars, Curried Rice Salad

Steak, Bacon and Eggs

from Steve Raichlen’s Planet Barbecue!

New York Strip Steak

Bacon

Eggs over-easy

Chimichuri

Make your Chimichuri (recipe follows) then do the rest on the grill over extremely hot  coals starting with your bacon:

Fry bacon in a cast iron skillet until just under desired temp/crispness then set aside and keep warm.

Butterfly

2 – 12 ounce New York Strip Steaks

Grill to your liking – it goes QUICKLY!  Salt & Pepper to taste.

When you flip your steak start your eggs.  In small cast-iron (I used my mini le-Crueset) using melted butter or olive oil  liberally, cook your eggs.

Serve on a plate topped with Chimichuri and more on the side.

Chimichuri

Steve Raichlen says this is the REAL DEAL when it comes to this sauce.  It’s Argentina’s national “steak sauce” and often times doesn’t even have parsley in it, but rather is more like a vinaigrette.  This barely was enough for the two of us.  So make plenty – it’ll keep in the fridge for a long time.

Mash into a paste

3-4 Garlic cloves

1-2 tsp Kosher Salt

1/2 tsp Black Pepper – fresh ground

Add:

1 Tbsp Dried Oregano

1-2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper

2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar

A squirt of lemon juice

1/4 Cup Olive Oil

1/4 Cup Parsley chopped

July 18, 2010 11:12 am

I remember Johnnie’s Uncle Jim’s. The most extravagant breakfast in the most unpretentious restaurant. Everything ordered was outrageously large, perfectly done, delightfully tasty, and served HOT!
    I never could figure out how you and John found this little dive……and, on seeing it, why you ever went in! Thrilled that you did, of course……and saddened that it is no longer on the Chicago dining scene.
    Wonderful memories!

July 18, 2010 1:25 pm

It was ALL John’s idea. My nose was very high in the air and I protested like the red headed stepchild – I wanted my Corner Bakery Panini!
      One bite of breakfast and all was forgiven.

2. Dionne Baldwin permalink
    July 18, 2010 12:48 pm

I hate it when locally owned diners and places like that close down. Thoughts that come to mind are something like, “NOW where am I supposed to eat?? I love steak and that chimichuri sounds delightful! I have all of that here…

3. July 18, 2010 7:19 pm

I think my husband would fall face first into that plate and not come up for air till it was gone!

4. July 18, 2010 7:27 pm

That looks wonderful. I love breakfast out so much it doesn’t matter if it’s McDonalds or a sit-down place. The best breakfast I’ve eaten though was at Lucky 32’s in Greensboro, NC. It was a version of eggs benedict, but the poached egg was on a crab cake and the hollandaise had heat. It was incredible.

July 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Oh my, that does sound amazing!

• vickki permalink
      January 11, 2011 3:42 pm

small, small world… I lived in Greensboro for several years. Lucky 32 is great (we have one in Raleigh too).

5. July 19, 2010 7:01 am

What a perfect breakfast. My husband would LOVE LOVE it. Thanks! :)))))

6. July 19, 2010 8:21 am

I think you’ve covered the basic food groups with this breakfast. The best breakfast I ever had was served to me on a train traveling between Mongolia and Russia. It was freshly made chicken soup with a sprig of dill and I was served a slice of brown bread and butter to go with it. This meal was also the best meal I had the whole time I was in Russia.

7. July 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Wow you gotta love little hole in the walls. They always have the best food. When we travel we always ask the locals where to eat and they will usually tell where to find the non tourist places. This looks amazing I may have breakfast for dinner now 🙂

8. July 20, 2010 10:59 am

Now THAT is a breakfast! I love little hole-in-the-wall restaurants like this and am always so sad when they close down.

9. July 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Now THAT is what I call Breakfast !!! 🙂

10. August 1, 2010 6:04 pm

My favorite place for breakfast in the summer is at a tavern of all places, in the country outside of where I live, Madison, Wis. It’s called the Riley Tavern and it’s right off the bike path. For $6 on Sunday mornings you get all you can eat pancakes, 2 sausage, a little dixie cup of OJ and a bottomless cup of coffee. I went today and they had four choices for pancakes: pumpkin, blueberry, chocolate chip, and buttermilk. I arrived after the 7 mile bike ride just before 9 ready for pancakes and the porch was full of other bicyclists, motorcyclists, and those who came by car waiting for it to open. It’s a thing of beauty to eat pancakes at the bar. And you get to work off the calories on your bike ride back home.

August 1, 2010 10:04 pm

Awesome story – thanks for sharing!

11. August 2, 2010 9:59 pm

Remember when you, John, Deb and me went to Johnny’s after Blues Fest once? No dainty salads for Deb!

12. Foodlvr permalink
    August 18, 2010 9:06 am

We had a little local joint – The Wayfarer – that closed a couple of years ago. I was so upset. Hard to find a good breakfast place. I love a good big breakfast. Now my fave is Thisilldous in Belvidere. They have interesting breakfast combos.

This looks outstanding. I love double meat!

1. Tweets that mention Steak Bacon & Eggs « -- Topsy.com