Wasabi Tuna Burger

June 23, 2010

June is Burger Extravaganza Month here at Foodo.
You can also check out all of our burgers HERE

For this year’s burger extravaganza I was bound and determined to have a couple seafood burgers.  They’re a different bird from ground beef and pork.  They’re fussy, delicate and can’t be over cooked or they end up tasting like sawdust.

This recipe comes from the store and is a very popular dish, only it’s in the form of tuna steaks. I revised it, just for you, into a burger.  Either way it’s a winner.  As a burger they are loosey goosey, so you do absolutely need to partially freeze them so they’ll hold up on the grill.

one year ago: Fresh Fruit Compote, Blackberry, Wild Rice & Barley Salad

Wasabi Tuna Burgers

Combine in food processor:

1 pound fresh Tuna (you need 2 lbs TOTAL!)

Squirt Sambel Olek to taste – optional

4 Tbsp Sherry

2 Tbsp Sesame Oil

5 Tbsp Rice Vinegar

3 Tbsp Soy Sauce

2 Tbsp Fresh Minced Ginger

2 Tbsp Sugar

2 Tbsp Fresh Minced Garlic

Pulse until everything is mostly broken up and somewhat pasty.

Then place in a large mixing bowl and add:

1 lb roughly chopped Fresh Tuna

½ Cup Chopped Green Onions

Handful Chopped Cilantro

Stir well and make into 4-6 patties and place in freezer.

Freeze patties until a frozen ‘crust’ appears around the edges.

Grill burgers over medium heat on oiled grate to desired degree of doneness.

About 3 minutes on each side, but depends on thickness of patty.

Serve on Semi-soft, toasted buns with lettuce and a pat of Wasabi Butter.

Wasabi Butter

Cream together:

1/3 Cup Butter

1 Tbsp Orange Juice Concentrate

1 Tbsp Fresh Minced Garlic

1-2 Tbsp Wasabi Powder

1. June 23, 2010 11:49 am

These burgers look so amazing! I really love to try wasabi on burgers. Thanks for sharing!

2. June 23, 2010 6:07 pm

You got my attention with this one Mary!
    Love the wasabi butter. I especially like the addition of orange juice concentrate.
    LL

3. June 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Oh, the wasabi butter sounds unbelievable. Bravo!

4. June 23, 2010 9:39 pm

YUMMY!!! Those sound so amazing and palatable 🙂

5. June 24, 2010 2:50 am

This is mouthwatering!!

6. June 24, 2010 3:47 am

I love wasabi and this is a great burger recipe. Thanks for sharing. Will try this out soon 🙂

7. June 24, 2010 7:41 am

love the wasabi burger! the wasabi butter sounds fabulous and your directions are so clear. i’m usually intimidated by the seafood burger genre after i lost half of my shrimp burgers to the coals of the grill last summer, but these look great!

8. June 24, 2010 7:42 am

I think that wasabi butter might bite me back – sounds intriguing enough to try, you know how much I love seafood…

9. June 24, 2010 7:54 am

::sigh:: another absolutely wonderful burger. I love it.

10. June 24, 2010 9:57 am

those look great! i love tuna burgers as a healthy alternative to red meat. delicious!

11. June 24, 2010 10:11 am

Hmmm. I wasn’t sold on a seafood burger, but I like the idea of tuna with a soy-ginger-garlic-sugar mixture sounds really tasty, even without wasabi.

12. June 25, 2010 12:00 pm

Wasabi and tuna were just meant for each other. Great burgers!

13. Rick permalink
    June 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Now I know what I want for dinner.

14. June 30, 2010 10:34 pm

Fantastic! Great flavors here!

15. Foodlvr permalink
    August 27, 2010 11:01 am

They used to have the greatest Wasabi Tuna Sandwich at TGIF years ago. My only reason for going? This burger just might give me the flavor combo I so need. I love that combination of flavors. Thanks for this burger. I have to make it.