John’s Favorite Rice Pudding

May 6, 2010

Really – rice pudding!?  I know, I know, but it’s such a treat to have all the recipes I use regularly here on Foodo, so I don’t have to go rummaging to find a damn recipe.  Katy can even attest to this new and wonderful phenomenon.  My apologies up front for any recipes you may find a bit mediocre, but hell, we like ’em 😉

A short story about this rice pudding:  John’s mom used to make him rice pudding all the time as a kid.  Time after time I’d try to make him his childhood rice pudding, and for YEARS I failed.  John’s go-to was always Cozy Shack and I’d cringe every time he’d buy it.  Why couldn’t I get it right?  FINALLY I figured it out: he likes his rice MUSHY with no bite whatsoever.   See, I was making it to my liking – BIG MISTAKE!  Here are the winning results after years of beating my head up against the wall.  Really, it was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  I’m sure we’ve all been guilty of this at some point in our lives.

one year ago: Lemon Caper Sauce

John’s Favorite Rice Pudding

In Large pot combine and simmer until all water is absorbed:

1 Cup Arbario Rice

2 Cups Water

Pinch of Salt

Once water has been absorbed add and cook on low until milk is absorbed stirring infrequently.

4 Cups Milk

1 tsp Vanilla

1/2 tsp Cardamom

1/2 Cup Sugar

It always over-flows so turn your burner down low! Serve warm or cold.

1. May 6, 2010 11:30 am

perfect timing for me, since I can only eat soft foods right now, I just bought some so glad to find this recipe its just what the doctor ordered~ Thanks Mary~ looks and sounds awesome cant wait to try this 🙂

May 6, 2010 3:03 pm

Reminds me of a poem my mother used to read by A.A. Milne.

Rice Pudding
    “What is the matter with Mary Jane?
    She’s crying with all of her might and her main.
    It’s lovely Rice Pudding for dinner again.
    What is the matter with Mary Jane?”

I’ll try the recipe to have a dish to go with the poem.

3. May 6, 2010 6:43 pm

How funny you posted this for your own benefit b/c the main reason I started my own blog was to archive the recipes I love most and have one spot where I could easily find them all! Great minds think alike. 🙂 Your little pots you used her are so cute and don’t ever thing that a recipe is too mundane to share–I actually enjoyed this post more than a lot of the others!

May 10, 2010 2:58 pm

aren’t you sweet!

4. May 7, 2010 10:55 am

Thanks for the recipe. I haven’t had rice pudding in years; since my grandmother passed away. I have plenty of Arborio rice for risotto and I have plenty of cardamom to bake cardamom bread, my grandmother’s recipe. however, no rice pudding recipe until now.

I enjoy your photos and mini Le Creuset set.

5. May 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Rice pudding is such a great comfort food. I bet the addition of cardamon is really tasty.

6. May 10, 2010 8:31 pm

I have yet to make this. Will have to soon.

7. May 10, 2010 9:30 pm

It sounds as though you cracked the code for this one – well done! I love the cardamom in here.

8. May 11, 2010 1:24 am

I like this, and love rice pudding. I however do not care for raisins, and they always seem to pop up. Delighted to see a recipe that I do not have to work around:)

9. May 12, 2010 11:41 am

Great rice pudding recipe… can’t wait to give it a try!

10. May 19, 2010 1:09 am

My Mom makes a mean rice pudding and tapioca…I absolutely luv it! Very beautifully presented with the spoons and rich colored red stoneware.

11. ceren alp permalink
    May 30, 2010 11:53 am

it’s a traditional dessert called “sütlaç” in turkey but it’s made without water and with more milk so it looks like this: http://www.damali.com.tr/Resimler/tatlilar/buyuk/sutlac.jpg
    it goes well with cinnamon. also sometimes they bake it in pot after cooking: http://www.kaplandugunsalonu.com/media/yemek/tatli/sutlac.jpg