Savory Strawberry Pizza

March 23, 2010

Hopefully strawberries aren’t too expensive in your area yet.  I made this a few weeks ago and wanted to try it again to be sure it was as good the second time around as it was the first – sure enough – it was even better because we didn’t have a different pizza just before it.  I found it in one of those food service magazines – tore it out and put it in a pile, so I’m not sure which magazine.  This pizza stands alone and would make an excellent appetizer for any get together from two to two hundred.

Savory Strawberry Pizza

Here’s an overview of what the process and layers consist of for one 14″ pie:

1.      14″ Crust that’s been baked all the way

2.      On warm crust smear a thin coating of Goat Cheese – about 1/4 Cup

3.       Top with 1/2-1 Cup Diced Cooked/Grilled Chicken Breast – optional

4.        1-2 Cups sliced Strawberries that have been tossed in 2 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar Reduction (recipe follows)

5.        Bake at 400 for 10 minutes

6.        Remove from oven and top with additional 1/4 Cup crumbled Goat Cheese

7.        Handful Greens such as baby spinach, arugula, frisee – your choice

8.        Drizzle entire pizza with 2 Tbsp Red Balsamic Vinegar Reduction (recipe follows)

9.        Slice, serve and ENJOY!

White Balsamic Reduction

(tossed with strawberries)

makes enough for two 14′ pizzas

in a non-reactive saucepan simmer until reduced to half

1/4 Cup White Balsamic Vinegar

Cool and whisk in with

1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Toss with 4 Cups sliced Strawberries

Red Balsamic Reduction

(drizzled over top of finished pie)

makes enough for two 14″ pizzas

in a non-reactive saucepan simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup

3/4 Cup Aged Red Balsamic Vinegar

Cool, drizzle over finished pie

1. March 23, 2010 12:28 pm

I love the idea of savory strawberry pizza, sounds excellent!

2. March 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Ok Mary this looks awesome and strawberries are just coming into season here….

March 24, 2010 8:54 am

No dot, dot, dot Wanda – get on it girl!
      I used the crust recipe you gave me and substituted some regular flour with wheat – it was good, but didn’t rise a whole lot (maybe too much wheat flour). I froze some dough raw to see if it would be my crust of choice. The damn dough balls actually roze in the FREEZER! The next week when I went to go use them it was VERY strange to see! I froze them after the first rise and am thinking I should try it again and freeze before any rising occurs. I’ve got a batch from Savuer magazine in the freezer now – if that works – it’s the one I’m going to publish. But there’s no reason we couldn’t publish more than one (hint, hint). Especially JP who’s the king of pizza – no crust from him yet and I hear he makes his in his bread machine.
      ~Mary

March 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Wow! Great new snack idea! I love the strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar. It brings out their sweetness.
    Shall we bring this with us when we go out on Sean’s new boat this summer?

4. March 24, 2010 8:32 am

WOW this is so creative. Unfortunately strawberries are still a bit expensive here but this will have to be made soon! Yum!

5. Vegetable Matter permalink
    March 24, 2010 11:49 am

We’ve been loving all the fresh strawberries lately, and at least here in Houston they’re local and cheap which is fantastic. Your pizza looks amazing. I’m thinking it might be good with arugula which we have tons of right now in the garden. Definitely going on the to-do list!

6. March 24, 2010 10:39 pm

I’ve never tried strawberries in anything savory, but I need to !

7. March 25, 2010 2:07 am

Strawberries on pizza, that is such a great idea! Look adorable. I just uploaded a new episode of my cooking show where I’m making Swedish Cupcakes (with my adorable nieces).

8. March 25, 2010 3:46 am

Oh Mary, these are wonderful. Strawberries area almost over but I’m sure we still do have them. Just in time. 🙂

9. March 25, 2010 6:34 am

Now see, this is exactly why I love being on Foodbuzz – I never would have thought to put strawberries on pizza and when I saw your post I was like WHAT?! It looks incredible and I will be trying this as soon as local strawberries come in season. Thanks for sharing!

10. March 25, 2010 8:14 am

feel like trying this now itself but i am so sad i cant.,,.:-(

March 25, 2010 8:43 am

is it because strawberries aren’t available?
      I’ll bet it would be good with kiwi or raspberries too.
      ~Mary

11. March 25, 2010 10:56 am

this looks fabulous! love the colors and the perfect flavor combination. congrats on top 9!

12. March 25, 2010 11:54 am

Don’t you love when food bloggers are eating/making similar stuff?? Yea for coincidences! As soon as I saw your pizza I knew I would just love it b/c I just did a sweet and savory roast beef sandwich with arugula and strawberry balsamic jam-HA! Great minds think alike. Oh, and for all Floridians -its strawberry season here so give this pizza a try ^_^ (in case you r wondering) http://laptopsandstovetops.com/2010/03/18/sweet-n-savory-roast-beef-sandwich/

13. March 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Great combination. I know that strawberry and balsamic rock, but to combine them in a pizza is just so darn CREATIVE. GREG

14. March 26, 2010 7:13 am

I’ll have to bookmark this recipe to make for a night when my husband is out… I love combining fruit with savory ingredients. This pizza is gorgeous!

15. Kori permalink
    April 9, 2010 8:16 pm

The goat cheese spread complimented the strawberry flavors. Hot or cold this pizza is a treat!

16. sipronto permalink
    April 11, 2010 5:31 am

what a great and brilliant pizza and the taste must be great and this is kind of pizza that everybody should try….. btw, i’m making pizza tonite for dinner. pizza ala pronto.

17. April 19, 2010 3:33 pm

What a unique pizza. I will surely have to give this a try. Thank you for the recipe.