Million $$$ Brownies

March 21, 2010

~ Katy ~

Ah, the Million Dollar Brownies. As a kid, I couldn’t get enough sugar, and sugar in chocolate form was (and still usually is) my sugar-high of choice. This recipe was in one of Mom’s favorite cookbooks, so I gave it a go and never stopped making them. In fact, the frosting was so delicious that I would secretly make batches of it and hide in the bathroom (the only rooms with locks on them) to eat it by myself–a major feat with 8 people in the house.

This reminds me of Mary going to the Dairy Queen with Mom to get Buster Bars for everyone. She had eaten hers on the ride home, and asked, in all sincerity, if they could just sit at the bottom of the driveway and eat them all and pretend they’d never gone to the DQ.

Once, I made the frosting and was rudely interrupted while attempting to consume it. I hid the frosting in the cupboard, and forgot all about it. Mom asked where her pan was for weeks. By that time, I’d forgotten all about it. Someone went looking for something in that cupboard about a month later, and they found the pan and the rock-hard frosting. Mom wasn’t pleased to say the least. Oops!

I haven’t had these in a long time. I’m looking forward to making them again. It’s nice not to have to hide in the bathroom to eat them. I know, gross, right? Desperate times, desperate measures.

Million $$$$ Brownies

makes a 9’x13″ cake pan

In medium saucepan over low heat melt while stirring:

1 Cup Butter

3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder Dutch Process makes a darker chocolatier brownie

Add and mix well

2 Cups Sugar

add one at a time whisking vigorously between each addition:

4 Eggs

Add and mix well:

1 Cup Flour

1/2 tsp Salt

1 tsp Vanilla

Spray a 9″x13″ pan with cooking spray then pour in batter and bake at 350ยฐ

for about 30 minutes or just until it starts to pull away from the edge of the pan.

Let cool only slightly before frosting with:

Million $$$ Frosting

In small sauce pan over medium heat, melt while whisking:

1/2 Cup Butter

1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder

1 Poundย Powderedย Sugar (about 4 Cups)

1 egg

1 1/2 tsp Vanilla

1 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice

Pour warm frosting over warm brownies – optional to top with chopped Pecans.

1. March 21, 2010 9:58 am

Drooling, and wishing for one right now please! awesome recipe have made something similar and these are fabulous!

2. March 21, 2010 12:41 pm

I can relate to sneaking off with the frosting. I actually got to the point where I didn’t make the brownies…just the frosting.

March 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Great post, Katy!
    Not bad memory either! I remember the DQ incident……I don’t think we ever let Mary forget it! It became our “oink, oink” mantra……….
    That, and Sean’s, “Miz Breski, can I have the biggest?” Referring to Carol Ann’s birthday cake that Mrs Breski was cutting up for her fifty or more guests. All beautifully mannered South African children. And here was our little Anerican kid showing off his utter lack of couth.

Ah, the memories!

4. March 22, 2010 5:44 am

Katy,
    These look absolutly YUMMY!
    My girls love icing. I always give them the mixing spoons….They love it!
    By the way, I love the addition of the lemon in the icing!

• March 22, 2010 7:41 am

Thanks, Miranda! They ARE yummy. I have to say that they’re still, to this day, the best brownie I’ve ever had.

5. March 22, 2010 7:46 am

Miranda,

This brownie looks fabulous AND the title seems to promise yummy goodness. So, I’m going to try it!

Carmen

6. Vegetable Matter permalink
    March 22, 2010 8:25 am

Your post is hilarious. My mom made us brownies for every special occasion — Duncan Hines. So we’re continuing the tradition (brownies, that is, not the part where they come from a box) in my family. Tomorrow is my son’s seventh birthday, so tonight is brownie baking time. Yours look great!

7. March 22, 2010 11:11 am

oh my killer brownies…

sweetlife

8. emma permalink
    March 22, 2010 5:47 pm

WOW!!!!! THEY LOOK GREAT!!! I AM GOING TO HAVE TO MAKE THEM RIGHT AWAY!!! THEY LOOK LIKE THEY NEED ONE BIG GLASS OF MILK TO EAT WITH THEM!!!

9. March 22, 2010 5:55 pm

Go, Emma! Go! You will LOVE them. The milk is definitely a great addition.

10. March 23, 2010 10:55 am

Hmmm. You’ll forgive me for being a cynic. And a general non-fan of cakey brownies. But, you’ve done a good job selling these… So, ease my worry on this… is the icing on top there to make up for a deficit in the brownie? or just to take these over the top? ๐Ÿ™‚

• March 23, 2010 4:39 pm

I understand and love cynicism, myself, so no forgiveness necessary. The frosting is there only to put these brownies over the top. The lemon in the icing gives it a unique flavor that complements the sweetness of it all.

11. March 23, 2010 5:44 pm

I think I’d like to go hide in a corner and eat a bunch of these yummy brownies.

12. March 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Hey who hosts your blog? I’ve noticed the past few weeks it really loads like crap for me, I’ll keep coming here no matter what because your posts are awesome, but man…I hate the slow speeds recently…

March 25, 2010 7:45 am

I’m sorry to hear that. It’s hosted by WordPress and I load all my photos off of flickr at the medium size. No one has ever mentioned its slowness to me before.
      Thanks for the compliment and for heads up and I’ll ask other family members if they’re experiencing the same thing.
      ~ Mary

13. March 28, 2010 11:10 am

A classic that’s to die for– those look and sound absolutely AMAZING!!

14. defunktgourmet permalink
    March 28, 2010 11:34 am

I was sold when you said that you had to hide in the bathroom just to eat the frosting. Awesomeness!

15. May 9, 2010 6:39 am

wow they look great i must try making this but so much sugar. thanks for the recipe.

16. May 9, 2010 9:37 am

my family has been bugging for brownies for a whole week now; today i think i will surpise them with some!!

17. May 13, 2010 4:13 am

Yummy brownies. Do you deliver? ๐Ÿ™‚
    Hope there is more to come!

Greetings from Germany.

18. SUSAN permalink
    May 14, 2010 10:03 am

Your recipe is very similar to one I’ve been using for years, but yours is MUCH better! I especially like that they slice so clean – mine never do. They taste phenomenal and look great too. I shared a few with some folks at work – I had a few requests for yiour recipe! Thanks for the keeper!

May 14, 2010 12:35 pm

So glad you liked them – and THANK YOU for coming back and letting us know!
      ~ Mary

19. Christy permalink
    May 14, 2010 7:45 pm

I’m in the process of making them right now I hope they are as good as they look.

May 14, 2010 8:45 pm

me too
      come back and let us know

20. July 21, 2010 4:51 am

I love brownies with a cold ice coke to go down with it ๐Ÿ™‚

21. foododelmundo permalink
    August 10, 2010 11:38 am

Here’s another fan: http://thesconegunman.blogspot.com/2010/05/big-fat-moist-brownies.html

22. perry permalink
    August 23, 2010 9:59 pm

just made them… ๐Ÿ™‚ awesome!!!!! ssooo rich and good

August 24, 2010 6:10 am

Fabulous! Thanks for coming back and letting us know Perry!

23. Drew permalink
    October 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Great recipe, thanks! Just made mini cupcakes for Halloween out of these and they turned out wonderful. This recipe makes a pan of about 60 little cakes.

October 30, 2010 6:55 pm

How nice to hear Drew! Thanks for letting us know!
      ~Mary

24. Ross permalink
    November 3, 2010 4:59 am

they look good, but to be honest they are outrageously over priced at a million $$

25. December 12, 2010 11:09 am

looks good. Thanks

26. January 9, 2011 9:57 pm

So…. I tried making these and they were incredible! However, mine look absolutely nothing like yours. Part of it is that I used normal cocoa powder, so it wasn’t as near as dark as yours, which is understandable. The biggest differences that I don’t get are how your brownie looks so smooth (and perfect), and why the frosting in your brownies is so thin. My frosting came out thick and almost fluffy. Any thoughts?

• January 9, 2011 9:58 pm

p.s. – we have the same cups ๐Ÿ™‚

January 9, 2011 10:28 pm

HA!
        I love those glasses for highballs, the divits are so great for your fingers!

• Kathy permalink
          March 26, 2011 11:01 am

FYI – the glasses are called Impressions and are available at Crate & Barrel

March 26, 2011 11:50 am

Thank you! I’ve broken most of mine and need to replace them.
            ~Mary

• Kathy permalink
            March 26, 2011 1:45 pm

P.S. Just found your site today, and I love it!

March 26, 2011 3:42 pm

Thanks Kathy!

January 9, 2011 10:27 pm

The only things I can think of is that I keep the heat on while I add the sugar, and I stir a few times between additions of the sugar. The only time the frosting has had any texture, was if I let it sit too long at room temp. I guess you don’t have to add all the sugar either, not sure if that’s ever been a problem for me though.
      The smooth look of the brownie is a trick I use for photographing – I let them cool completely and sometimes put them in the fridge before cutting. I knew these were a messy cut before I started, so I was very careful and instead of dragging a knife across the pan I used a dough scraper to cut and went straight down, lifted up and went down again, and again and again. Then I was careful when I got them out of the pan too. Believe me, it was hard to wait so long for a brownie, and not near as delicious when they’re warm a gooey. Now I’m craving them, I haven’t made them since this post and it had been years before that when I had them last.
      Glad you liked them, thanks for letting us know!
      ~ Mary

• Simon permalink
        January 18, 2011 7:05 am

I am in the process of making these as we speak, but the sugar just bound up to itself, and doesnt mix with the butter completely ๐Ÿ˜ฆ Its almost as if it became a bad batch of fudge!

January 18, 2011 7:36 am

Just keep stirring, once you add the egg it all smooths out.

• Simon permalink
            January 18, 2011 2:47 pm

I noticed that ๐Ÿ™‚
            They were amazing, unfortunately I don’t know where to buy the kind of cocoa you use Herrera in Sweden, but they were awesome anyway ๐Ÿ˜€

• Melody U. permalink
          March 1, 2015 2:49 pm

I melted the butter in the microwave, then whisked in the cocoa. Then I poured this all into my mixing bowl on top of the sugar. I let the mixer (kitchenaid) run until the sugar was incorporated. Then added the eggs one at a time. It all smooths out. I don’t think I would’ve tried this with just a wire whisk as it’s just too thick.

27. Celthric permalink
    January 16, 2011 10:39 pm

Just made them and love em

28. January 21, 2011 7:03 pm

These look sooo yummy! Will give it a shot soon! Thanks for posting!

29. Dick permalink
    January 31, 2011 4:03 pm

Really, you named it the “Million Dollar Brownies….give me a break….their just brownies. Nothing special about them.
    Had you of named them something like “homestyle brownies”…I would post something nice…but you didnt and so I give this recipe a negative!

February 1, 2011 7:08 pm

The name came with the recipe, and that originated from a local newspaper cookbook from back in the ’70’s. Back then, everything seemed much cooler/better/more awesome than it actually was. Must have been the drugs or the disco lights. Very distracting.
      ~ Katy

• Ella permalink
      March 2, 2015 11:38 pm

geez dick…you sure are one.

30. March 11, 2011 4:44 am

These brownies look awesome!

31. Leah permalink
    April 3, 2011 12:47 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe, it is absolutely delish!!!!!! I think they are totally Million Dollar Brownies, the name fits perfectly!!!!!!!! My husband and kids are drooling and they’re so excited to eat them! haha Thanks! =)

April 3, 2011 4:49 pm

Thank you! Glad you liked them!

32. April 14, 2011 3:21 pm

oh boy. Stumbled – I’ll have to come back to this later and try the recipe. Thanks!

33. Angelynn permalink
    May 3, 2011 4:52 pm

It looks like you used a 9×9 pan in your pic instead of a 9×13..did you? If you use a 9×13 will the brownie be thinner?

May 3, 2011 9:03 pm

I also used half of the recipe for my 9×9 pan, it worked perfectly.
      ~ Mary

34. January 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Do you think replacing the sugar with Splenda in the same quantities would work? I’m dying to try these, but as a diabetic, I have to be careful with it. (Especially the pound of powdered sugar! haha)

January 17, 2012 8:21 pm

I have worked with Splenda on very few occasions, and have no idea how it would react to this recipe. If you do try it, let us know how it turned out.
      ~ Mary

35. Kristen permalink
    January 20, 2012 10:57 pm

I made these tonight. Two words… A-MAZING! So chocolatey and delicious. I added two handfuls of chocolate chips to the batter also and they made it extra chocolatey. Also, I adapted the frosting and made it a little different, and it really worked with the brownies. Excellent recipe!

January 21, 2012 11:42 am

Wonderful! Thank you for letting us know! AND for the new and improved addition of chocolate chips!
      ~ Mary

36. peggie permalink
    June 1, 2012 10:51 pm

Dick – that was mean! You’re a Dick, that’s for sure!
    I thought they were great! Thanx for sharing! Will make the again for sure. Half a pan gone in half a day, 4 people in the house and 1 neighbor kid. Another half a pan to go! hahaha nom nom nom nom

June 2, 2012 8:10 am

Hehehehahahahhohoho! You’re funny Peggie! Glad you liked them, thanks for coming back and leaving your priceless coment ๐Ÿ˜‰
      ~ Mary

37. Melody U. permalink
    March 1, 2015 2:46 pm

I was craving chocolate this afternoon and don’t usually make brownies since most recipes seem to come out either too fudgy or too dried out…but I thought I’d give yours a try. I found this through someone else’s pinterest but your directions are better for getting maximum flavor and perfect glossy batter (e.g. whisking the cocoa into the melted butter and not just dumping it into the other dry ingredients). After seeing the amount of batter, however, I did change the pan size to a 9×9 and baked for 37 minutes. The thickness is ‘brownie’ perfect as is the moistness. I’d say somewhere between a fudgie and a cake-like…somewhat chewy. I know if I had poured this into a 9×13, they would’ve been too hard and dried out…at least for me. Thanks for sharing!

38. Katie Novak permalink
    December 16, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi while making the brownies do u mix in all the ingredients while the pan is on low hear?? Lmk