Kev’s Bread Machine Pumpernickel

March 15, 2010

~ Kev ~

Patty sent out a whole slew of Kev’s Bread Machine recipes to everyone at Christmas – in 1993!  Here’s what Kev has to say about this Pumpernickel: It’s a “cannonball” recipe (i.e., heavy in the bread machine) but really good. We make it most often when having company over and do little hors d’oeuvre things with it usually — thin slices, quartered, with cheese or smoked salmon on it. It’s great in winter, say as an open-faced hot ham and cheese sandwich. Or as toast.

Pumpernickel Bread for the Bread Machine

Place in your bread machine in order:

3 1/4 tsp Yeast

2 Cups Rye Flour

1/2 Cup Wheat Bran

1 3/4 Cup Bread Flour

4 tsp Caraway Seeds

1 tsp Salt

2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder

4-5 Tbsp Molasses (not blackstrap)

1 Tbsp Oil

1 1/3 Cups Hot Water

Press button to get the process goin’!

1. March 15, 2010 11:16 am

I’ve made this twice in the last month – I had forgotten how good it was AND my bread machine almost forgot how to operate because it’s been over six years since I used it! I used it for the croutons in the Reuben Chowder (coming St Patty’s Day) and for an awesome sandwich from the blog Vegetable Matter (sorry I am unable to put in a hyperlink here, but the post will be coming later in the month). ~Mary

2. March 15, 2010 4:30 pm

… and I bet it would be perfect as the foundation for a good old fashioned Reuben sammich too. With St. Patrick’s Day coming up, I’ve got corned beef on the brain. So, everything is coming up reuben 🙂

3. March 15, 2010 6:11 pm

my favorite especially with spinach dip oh my this is an awesome recipe~

4. March 16, 2010 12:00 am

Beautiful pumpernickel display. I love my bread machine. It has produced many a heavy loaves of pumpernickel, it’s yummy. Great for sopping gravy too!

5. March 16, 2010 3:05 am

That is s handsome looking loaf ! I don’t have a bread machine so I’m wondering how this recipe would translate, if I wanted to do it by hand….

6. March 16, 2010 7:05 am

My husband loves Pumpernickel. It is his fav. I might have to give this a try tonight for St. Patricks day tomorrow. THANKS!!!

7. March 16, 2010 7:22 am

Hi Mary,

This loaf looks awesome! I use my bread machine about once every two days. Homemade breads are wonderful. Hvae not made pumpernickel for sometime. Maybe I should make one now 🙂

Have not seen you around in FB lately. I saw this on Tastespotting.

Biren

8. March 16, 2010 7:48 am

Wow this looks fantastic! I did not know it took cocoa powder.Do all recipes ask for it? I have never made this bread before. Thanks!

9. Vegetable Matter permalink
    March 16, 2010 8:31 am

We’ve been eating pumpernickel a lot lately but I have to admit we’ve never actually MADE pumpernickel. The ingredient list is so interesting — cocoa powder? Your loaf looks like the perfect pumpernickel.

March 16, 2010 2:00 pm

This looks wonderful! Especially with Corned Beef and Cabbage….which we’ll be having tomorrow!

Looking forward to tomorrow’s post …Rueben Chowder.

11. March 17, 2010 3:21 am

Beautiful bread. Reuben chowder sounds fantastic.

12. March 18, 2010 2:45 am

I have been looking for a good pumpernickel bread recipe, especially one that does well in the bread machine. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ve seen rye flour at my local grocery store or caraway seeds. One question: what does it mean by bran? Thanks for sharing?

March 18, 2010 5:55 am

Wheat Bran – it’s usually in the cereal or baking aisle in the grocery store: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bran

• March 18, 2010 2:47 pm

Okay, thanks, I’ll have to look for that. Sorry about the last question mark in my last reply – I meant to type an exclamation point at the end.

13. March 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Yum I love dark breads! All those ingredients sound amazing already, I can’t wait to try out this recipe thanks for posting!

14. March 21, 2010 4:29 am

Hi, I would love to do this. But I will need the steps for hand kneading. I hope you have that 🙂

March 21, 2010 10:03 am

no, I don’t
      nor have I ever looked into it
      I would assume it would be your usual 6-8 min of kneading and a double rise – but I haven’t tried it

15. March 22, 2010 12:36 pm

My hubby makes bread quite frequently in our bread machine. He saw this recipe and can’t wait to give it a try!

16. March 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks for the great recipe, haven;t used my bread machine in awhile.