Naan Bread

March 2, 2010

~ Emma ~

I am learing about Ancient India in school. I had a project due last week and to get extra credit I could bring in a food from India and I knew right away I wanted to make Naan. We have made it before and I LOVE it! I changed up the recipe a little bit to make it more exciting. I added garam masala and it gave the naan a very nice flavor.

I brought it to school and everyone loved it there was none left. My teacher thought we bought the dough and was very surprised to learn I made it from scratch.

Naan  Bread

1 package active dry yeast

1 cup warm water

1/4 cup white sugar

3 tablespoons milk

1 egg, beaten

2 teaspoons salt

4 1/2 cups bread flour

2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)

1 teaspoon garam masala (optional)

1/4 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth.

Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.

Punch down dough, and knead in garlic and garam masala. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

Preheat grill or skillet to high heat. (We just use a skillet)

At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes.

Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.

ENJOY!!!!!!

1. March 2, 2010 7:51 am

Emma – this looks WONDERFUL! And it’s Foodo’s FIRST bread post – way to go – I’m wondering how long it will take John to request this pretty recipe – naan is his FAVORITE!

2. March 2, 2010 9:24 am

wow Emma this looks amazing will have to try soon.Great pic!!

sweetlife

3. March 2, 2010 3:20 pm

Beautiful post Emma….you need to make some more for us since you took all of these to school!!

4. March 2, 2010 6:10 pm

looks beautiful! well done! i had a hard time with getting and keeping the pan hot enough when i made mine, but yours looks perfect!

• March 3, 2010 12:01 pm

I know that part is tricky, my dad kept turning the burner down but then if it’s not hot enough you don’t get the nice big bubbles. Mom kept turning it higher and just turns the fan on.

5. Veronica permalink
    March 2, 2010 7:19 pm

Great job–the bread looks incredible and is making me drooooooool. 🙂

6. Sean permalink
    March 2, 2010 9:00 pm

sooo good with chicken tikka masala!! I’ll have to make it and post the recipe.

7. March 2, 2010 10:31 pm

I make naan once a week yours looks marvelous! We love it!

8. March 2, 2010 11:03 pm

We visited our daughter in Chili a few years ago and went to the only Indian restaurant in the City of Santiago. They had wonderful Naan there. This reminds me of a wonderful trip. It looks delicious!

9. March 2, 2010 11:43 pm

They are beautiful, can’t wait to try, can you use unbleached flour rather than bread flour?

• March 3, 2010 11:58 am

Yes you can….these are actually done with unbleached flour because that’s all we had.

10. March 3, 2010 7:22 am

Great bread post. This recipe has intimidated me but I have hopes to try to make it!

11. March 3, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks for the recipe. I love naan bread and making the at home is worth it than buying.

12. March 3, 2010 6:01 pm

I love naan! Great post, Emma! I bet my roommate will be asking me to make this very soon.

13. March 3, 2010 7:01 pm

Looks so good. I had no idea it had milk in it–that must be what makes it so pillowy. Yum!

March 4, 2010 11:05 am

Oh, Emma, this looks SO GOOD!
    I’m sure I can make this…….I’ll try it the next cool cloudy day in Roatan. We’ve had quite a few of those days this year, so I’m sure there are more on the way. With that butter on it, I’m sure it will taste delicious!
    You’re such a clever girl, Emma……and extra credit at school to boot.
    Every body loves a good bread!

15. March 5, 2010 4:02 pm

Naan is so great, yours looks scrumptious, really nice.

16. March 9, 2010 10:50 pm

Awesome Job! I didn’t know Naan bread was so easy. Can I use all purpose flour instead of bread flour?

17. inomoni permalink
    January 18, 2012 12:20 am

You may like another interesting twist to this recipe.

Try a dough with flour, salt, a pinch of sugar and curd.
    cover it with a muslin cloth and let it sit for around half an hour
    Rub a little oil onto your hand and take a small portion of the dough.
    Now flatten the dough between your hands, and deep-fry it in hot oil.
    Interestingly, this actually absorbs very little oil and is light and fluffy.
    This is what we call ‘bhatoora’. Serve hot!
    Served best with practically everything.

18. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies permalink
    May 3, 2012 1:58 pm

Ooooh Naan. I love naan. Especially peshwari naan with toasted coconut and sultanas, yum!

19. July 16, 2013 1:47 am

must be delicious!!! 😛

20. December 12, 2016 4:44 pm

They look perfect..compliments from an Indian 🙂 Sorry, it may sound self-promotional but just in case, if you want to try some other Indian breads, here are my recipes 🙂

21. May 20, 2017 5:40 pm

I am trying this recipe now! I am so excited.