Sayur Lodeh (Shrimp with Vegetables)

February 28, 2010

~ Patty ~

Roatan is known for it’s excellent shrimp and lobster so last Friday night I made my favorite Shrimp/vegetable stir fry. Originally, the recipe came from Craig Claiborne’s New York Times Cookbook. I think it’s Indonesian. I always made it as one of the dishes for rijsttafel. I’ve made it twice since Katy’s been here. Left-overs are delicious re-heated.

Roatan Sunset

Sayur Lodeh (Shrimp with Vegetables)

Over high heat with some Peanut oil in large fry pan, saute for five minutes:

4 Shallots or 1 small onion, chopped or sliced

6 Scallions with greens, sliced

1 1/2 Tbsp Ginger, fresh, chopped; or 5 tsp powdered ginger

12 cloves Garlic, minced

Add, and cook until pink, stirring:

2 lbs shrimp, shelled and deveined

Remove shrimp from pan……keep warm.

Add and cook five minutes, stirring constantly with Peanut Oil as needed:

3 C Cabbage, coarsly shredded

3 C Chinese Cabbage, coarsly shredded

2 C Eggplant, peeled and cubed

2 C Zucchini, sliced

1 Red Pepper, seeded and sliced

Add, cover pan and simmer 10 minutes, or until vegetables are barely tender:

1 Bay Leaf

Lemon Grass (optional)

1 Tbsp Salt

1 tsp Hot Red Pepper

3/4 C Coconut Milk (Coconut Cream is nice too, if you like it sweeter)

Add shrimp and heat until warm, no more than 5 minutes.

Mix and add:

2 tsp Arrowroot or cornstarch

2 Tbsp Water

When thickened, serve immediately. Serves 12.

I serve it over rice sometimes…..sometimes alone…… Either way, it’s worth the effort!

1. February 28, 2010 8:38 am

Mmmm…my favourite shrimps! I wish I can eat all of them. This while dish looks delicious. Love the coconut cream added….beautiful flavour I’m sure.

2. February 28, 2010 11:18 am

My mouth is watering at this.

3. February 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Oh Patty! I think you’ve out done yourself ! Can we get a photo of the fish market/truck – that way our jealousy level can reach an all time high.

• Pat permalink
      March 1, 2010 11:25 am

That’s a great idea! It’s such a unique feature of this island. The Fruit Truck comes Monday and Friday and the Fish Truck Tuesday and Saturday. I’ll get some pictures……AND I’ll try to hold the camera still when I shoot the picutre!

4. February 28, 2010 7:26 pm

wow awesome terrific recipe

5. February 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Great looking shrimp recipe. The sunset photo reminds me of my last beach vacation.

6. February 28, 2010 10:43 pm

I love this!! Patty made it for me when we were there last year…..
    Great post Patty!!

7. March 1, 2010 9:54 am

This is soooo delicious! I went out and bought some shrimp yesterday so I can make it here at home. We had a ton of fun with Tiffany and Brad at the Lodge when we went up there and had this for dinner. We had dinner on their sprawling deck so we could see the moon over the ocean. Heaven!

8. March 1, 2010 1:55 pm

It seems so delicious! It almost sounds Thai! Delicious picture too!