Asian Bolognese

February 18, 2010

A couple years ago we went to a Thanksgiving cooking class at Red Light which was hosted by their executive chef Jackie Chen.  The theme was an Asian inspired T-day menu and this was one of the side dishes.

It may seem a little off-beat, but I assure you it has extraordinary flavor!  We think next time there might be a bun involved and call it an Asian Sloppy Joe – fusion cooking at its finest 😉

Asian Bolognese

In a mixing bowl mix together:

1 pound Ground Pork

1 Tbsp Minced Garlic

1 Tbsp Minced Ginger

2 tsp Sesame Oil

3 Tbsp Soy Sauce

2 Tbsp Sherry

3 Diced Scallions – save a little for garnish

Mix well then saute over med-high heat until cooked through, skim off any grease then add:

1 1/4 Cups Tomato Puree or Crushed Tomatoes

1 Tbsp Sriracha Sauce

Let simmer 20 min.  While simmering blanch:

1 Pound Green Beans.

Place on platter and pour bolognese over the top.

1. February 18, 2010 10:12 am

Excellent fusion recipe – I love this Bolognese with the Asian twist and can’t wait to give it a try!

2. February 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Beautiful. Love the flavors of that meat sauce and it’s not only for pasta anymore.

3. February 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Hey Mary, love the side dish. Very unusual combo. I’d bet it tastes wonderful! You should enter it in Reeni’s side dish showdown.

4. February 18, 2010 11:36 pm

This is really an odd recipe but looking at the ingredient list, how bad could it be? Very original and innovative. If it has sriracha in it I know I will love it! Thanks for sharing it Mary.

5. February 19, 2010 12:09 am

What a pretty dish! I’m not familiar with Sriracha Sauce. I’ll have to Google it.

Kristi

6. February 19, 2010 9:13 am

WHat a great idea to put over green beans! A well combined meal. Delicious!

February 19, 2010 9:23 am

Wow! That’s unusual, especially for Thanksgiving! Probably not something the pilgrims included, ya think? I’ll definitely give it a try…..maybe over rice? Never mind, I’ll do the beans….much healthier!

8. February 19, 2010 2:40 pm

These are flavors are wonderful! East meets west equals delicious!

9. February 20, 2010 9:59 am

Beautiful and delicious! I love the ingredients. I love green beans. This will be perfect for my dinner with rice.

10. Beth permalink
    February 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Rice noodles with toasted sesame seeds/oil would be a great alongside the sauce/beans

11. February 22, 2010 8:58 am

This looks wonderful. I will definitely try it!

12. February 22, 2010 12:29 pm

I love the way this looks.. saw it on food with style and went wow!!! The recipe is going in my file as I am crazy about all the ingredients and never put them together!!!

13. February 24, 2010 1:37 am

Almost like a popular Szechuan dish to me where they wok-fry long/green beans with minced meat.

14. February 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Very nice dish – great flavor combo and not too difficult. And as always, a beautiful photo. Thanks, Mary!

15. March 28, 2010 6:56 pm

made this tonight, and it was incredible. great way to go carb-free, as well. thanks for the recipe! 🙂 i may just toss some leftovers over some brown rice or soba noodles. yum.

March 28, 2010 9:03 pm

SO glad you liked it AND that you told us about it!
      I think the noodles would be a stellar addition.
      ~Mary

16. September 29, 2010 4:51 pm

I was SHOCKINGLY impressed by this recipe. Double thumbs up.

September 29, 2010 6:58 pm

FABULOUS! Chef Jackie Chen is amazing at simple, but powerful dishes. Does that mean you made it and ate it?

17. brannyboilsover permalink
    September 29, 2010 7:02 pm

Yes I did. Just updated my blog with it!

1. Asian Bolognese | Branny Boils Over