3 Booze Meat Lovers Chili

February 14, 2010

Super Bowl = MANLY  and I picked a doozer of a manly chili recipe!  Meat, meat and more meat get this: Beef Short Rib Meat, Italian Sausage AND Chorizo and AS IF that wasn’t enough there’s also booze, booze and more booze: Guinness, red wine AND bourbon!  Combine that with some classic spices and you’ve got yourself a winner.  Just because I hate football doesn’t mean I can’t participate.

3 Booze Meat Lovers Chili

adapted from Chicago Tribune Sunday Magazine

Stir to combine in large bowl then transfer to ziploc bag to marinate  over night:

2 pounds Beef Short Rib Meat cut small

2 Medium Sized Onions Diced

1/2 Head Garlic Minced

2 Jalepeno Peppers sedded and chopped

2 Tbsp Cumin

1 Tbsp Oregano

1 Tbsp Rosemary

1 Tbsp Chili Powder

1 tsp Kosher Salt

1/4 Cup Chipotle Sauce

1 Tbsp Olive Oil

In large oven-proof skillet  (that has a lid) such as a Dutch oven over medium high heat with some olive oil cook until sightly browned:

Meat and marinade from above

1 pound Sweet Italian Sausage casing removed, if applicable, and broken up

1 Pound Chorizo casing removed, if applicable, and broken up or sliced into coins

Once meat is browned add and bring to a boil:

1 Cup Guinness

1 Cup Red Wine

16 oz Crushed Tomatoes

16 oz Diced Tomatoes

3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder

1/4 Cup Wondra Flour

Once it has been brought to a boil and everything has been stirred well, place lid on pot and transfer to a 325 degree oven.

Bake for 1 1/2 hours.  Remove from oven, skim off fat.

Before returning to oven pour over this bourbon combination:

In sauce pan over med-high heat bring to a boil:

1/2 Bourbon

1/4 Cup Sugar

Pour over chili, place back in oven and cook an additional 30-45 minutes.

1. February 14, 2010 9:34 am

Manly yes, but I like it too! Mary that line came to my mind immediately, so appropriate for your manly chili, don’t you think. Where did that line come from anyway?? My age is really showing now! This is a great looking chili, bold and robust flavors. As always, your display is superb!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      February 14, 2010 10:07 am

Irish Spring Soap commercial – that makes me laugh – do they even make it anymore? Thanks Kathy! ~Mary

February 14, 2010 12:24 pm

OOOOOOH! That sounds substantial! Good for a cold snowy night’s supper with some fresh baked bread. Love the bowl!

3. February 15, 2010 9:11 am

Wow, that sounds like a serious chili!

4. February 15, 2010 9:31 am

My goodness this is boozy! Great picture! This sounds like a perfect combination of ingredients.

5. February 15, 2010 9:34 am

A fabulous chili with short rib meat & the sausages! So perfectly delicious!

6. February 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Never thought to add chorizo to chili – brilliant! It looks delicious – thanks for sharing!

7. February 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Chile “Con Carne” to the 10th power! Manly indeed, and one my man would love to see appear on the table.
    Question: In your ingredients list you have “chipotle sauce”. Do you mean pureed chipotles in adobo sauce?
    Thanks for clarifying.

February 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks Debi ~ Either will work – if you use the chipotles in adobo be sure to dice them up. I’m able to get cans of just the sauce part which I like a little better because it’s less messy, but the heat is still there.

8. Leonor permalink
    February 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Oh mary, that looks absolutely DELISH! I’m going to have to make it for the fussy boyfriend!

9. February 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Sounds like delicious chili! I’m interested in what the combination of booze tastes like…. I like all of them separately though! Cheers~

February 15, 2010 8:05 pm

They meld together beautifully! So much so that when all the meat was gone and there was only sauce/gravy left – I boiled up a bunch of lentils and mixed it with that sauce just so I could get another lunch out of its deliciousness! ~Mary

10. February 17, 2010 4:40 am

Oh yummy. Look at that. There are so many amazing flavors on dish and so many layers to taste while eating it. This is just gorgeous and scrumptious!!

11. February 18, 2010 10:44 pm

Shut up! This is the most outrageous chili I have ever seen and it has my 2 favorite food groups-meat and booze. Lady, I like your style!

12. Jenni permalink
    February 19, 2010 6:02 am

What kind of red wine do you use?

February 19, 2010 8:52 am

Any kind will do Jenni – it all gets cooked down into deliciousness – I used some random Burgundy – Enjoy!

13. February 21, 2010 9:52 am

That is one nice looking bowl of chili!

14. February 21, 2010 10:26 pm

delish!!!!! bravo love this chili

15. Judi permalink
    March 1, 2010 3:52 pm

Sounds fab…how many will this serve? thnx

March 1, 2010 4:59 pm

it makes 3 quarts (12 cups) of chili – you’ll have to decide the serving size – personally I don’t think 1 cup is enough unless it’s served with other items ~Mary

16. Chris permalink
    September 10, 2013 11:37 pm

Can I do this in a slow cooker instead of the oven?

September 12, 2013 6:49 am

I would think that part of the recipe would work in the slow cooker, as long as the first part of the recipe is done on the stove top.

17. October 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Sounds incredible. Can you tell me what Wondra Flour is? I’ve never heard of it – is that just a brand name?

1. 3 Booze Meat Lovers Chili – Food del Mundo | Happy Happy Joy Joy