Butternut Squash Soup

January 28, 2010

Ten Days of Soup! ~ Katy ~

I always thought that Butternut Soup was so rich and flavorful that it must have a lot of cream in it and would probably be difficult to get right. Boy, was I wrong. This recipe is simple and has minimal ingredients with all of that amazing butternut squash flavor. The sage complements the squash beautifully. This recipe is from Oprah Magazine.

Other soups you might enjoy:
Cauliflower Soup         Grilled Gazspacho
New Mexico Red Chile Posole         Corn Chowder
Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup with Chicken
Yellow Lentil Curry         Chicken Wild Rice Broccoli
Black Eyed Pea      Pepperoni        Mushroom Bisque
Split Pea       Chipotle Chowder

Mary made a Butternut Squash Soup too, but Katy's recipe sounded better so that's what we're going with.

Butternut Squash and Sage Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
     1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
     2 butternut squashes, peeled, seeded and cut into  1-inch chunks
     2 tablespoons chopped, fresh sage, plus 8-18 leaves reserved for garnish
    4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    Vegetable oil, for frying garnish sage leaves

In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 8-10 minutes. Add squash; cook 5 more minutes. Add chopped sage and broth’ bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until squash is very tender, about 30 minutes. With an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth (or puree in small batches in a food processor fitted with knife blade). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

In a small pan, heat ½ inch vegetable oil until hot. Drop sage leaves in about 3 at a time and fry until just crisp; remove to a paper-towel-lined plate. Serve soup hot, garnished with 2 or 3 sage leaves per bowl.

Makes 4-6 servings.

1. January 28, 2010 8:30 am

One of my favorites….if you made it , its gotta be good!!

January 28, 2010 11:02 pm

Both of those pictures are wonderful!
    Mary, I recognize that china! Beautiful!
    I love the sage with the squash. Great flavor contrast! I wish I had a bowl right now!

3. January 29, 2010 5:00 am

I love anything with butternut, unfortunately they are still hard to find here. Love short list of ingredients.

4. Vegetable Matter permalink
    January 29, 2010 10:04 am

We have sage in the garden, but almost never use it. It’s such a strong flavor, I wouldn’t have thought to use sage in a butternut soup. It sounds like a bold, flavorful combo. And, almost as important, so pretty!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      January 29, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks Robin! I wish I knew I was going to use sage so much this year – Iwouldn’t of weeded it out of the garden – sometimes the smell was just too darned over-whelming. Oh well – there’s always next year. ~Mary

5. January 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Yumm… Looks good. The Pictures are great!! And I love squash it taste like candy and everbody loves soup so I have a feeling my family and I will be make this soon!!!