Kahlua Mexican Chocolate Cake

November 29, 2009

Happy Sweet 16 Tess Grubbins!

This was also Katy’s birthday cake for her third annual 29th birthday party.   Grubby was four at the time and hit up every guest at the party – really begged them – to cut her a piece of cake.  She would tell anyone who said it was probably inappropriate because we hadn’t even sung Happy Birthday yet:  “…..of course it’s ok to cut it!  No one will notice!”

So here’s the real puzzle – no family members may participate – what year was it and how old is Katy now!?

Some other triple layer cakes you might enjoy:

Strawberry Butter Mango Mousse Tiramisu

Heaven & Hell Peachy Keen

German Chocolate Chocolate Peanut Butter Salute

Lane Cake

The cake and frosting were very easy the chocolate collar wasn’t.  This was my first time trying one out and it didn’t go too bad, but it was far from smooth sailing.

Kahlua Mexican Chocolate Cake

2 1/2 Cups Flour

3 Cups Sugar

1 Cup Dutch Process Cocoa Powder

1 Tbsp Baking Soda

1 tsp Salt

2 tsp Cinnamon

add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients and stir until smooth.

Makes 4# 10oz (about 9 Cups of Batter) – portion out 3 cups per layer or weigh them out (1# 8oz per pan) to be even.

Bake at 350 for 40-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool completely, wrap in Saran and freeze until ready to frost – I store mine in the pan when I freeze them so they don’t get damaged.

Kahlua Cream Cheese Frosting

1 Pound Cream Cheese

1 Pound Butter

1 Pound Powdered Sugar

1 Cup Dutch Process Cocoa Powder

1/4 Cup Kahluah

2 tsp Cinnamon

Beat Butter and Cream Cheese on  high until fluffy.  Slowly add powdered sugar then mix in Kahlua.

Chocolate Collar:

Put a crumb coating of frosting on the cake – it doesn’t need to be fancy – that part comes later.

Measure the circumfrence of the cake with some string.  Cut the string an inch or so extra for an overlap.

Measure the height of the cake with a ruler.

This is where I’m chalking up to my first timers niavite`.  I should have gone to a craft store and purchased some acetate (flimsy plastic) instead I used parchment paper – after the fact – I realized acetate would have been much sturdier and wouldn’t show all the folds in the chocolate like the parchment did – next time.

So measure the acetate with measurements you got with the string and ruler – cut to size.  update: I found acetate or mylar at an art store – it comes in different thickness’.

Melt some white chocolate and pipe on your design or dots.  Let this harden completely before next step.

Melt your chocolate – I used 2 1/2 cups for this cake.  Spread on top of dots – make sure your chocolate isn’t so hot that it melts the dots.

Let the chocolate set slightly before adhering it to the cake.

Let chocolate harden completely before removing its protection.

There you go – pipe extra frosting on top and tie a bow around if you’d like.

1. Cynthia permalink
    November 29, 2009 9:30 am

45?

• foododelmundo permalink*
      November 29, 2009 11:08 am

Close, but no.

2. November 29, 2009 11:18 am

its not right to lust after food is it… but the doesn’t stop me! I WANT I WANT I WANT! you always make me crave cake. good cake. special cake… foododelmundo cake~

love the tutorial with the dots too~

3. November 29, 2009 7:17 pm

All I can is WOW! This cake SOUNDS delicious. AND, this cake LOOKS delicious! LOVE the idea of wrapping the cake in chocolate.

4. November 30, 2009 5:00 pm

Mmmmmm….soooo good! It’s great to have instructions on how to make the collar. It always looked too fabulous to really be do-able. Now I know how, and I’ll have to give it a go sometime.

So, Tess, how was the cake?!

5. November 30, 2009 7:42 pm

What a wonderful cake…drooling now and thanks so much for the step-by-step pics on how to make the cake 🙂

6. November 30, 2009 7:47 pm

This cake looks and sounds so freaking delicious!

7. November 30, 2009 7:53 pm

ABsolutely gorgeous and delicious sounding!

8. November 30, 2009 8:03 pm

love it! looks fabulous!

9. November 30, 2009 8:33 pm

Looks DELICIOUS! I’m making this.

10. November 30, 2009 10:10 pm

A Beauty! And I also love that cake stand!!! oh I wish I had one just like that.

So well done a cake. chocolate is my favourite food. I have a hard time resisting buying a bar everytime I go out to the shops.

11. November 30, 2009 10:32 pm

The collar isn’t so bad for being the first time you tried it. The cake still looks amazing. Love the sink scrubby in the background of one of your pictures. Good to know you like to keep things clean. hehe

12. November 30, 2009 10:47 pm

WOW Oh WOW!!!! This is a fabulous looking cake and a first try, I’m impressed friend. Superb job.

13. November 30, 2009 10:47 pm

What a beautiful cake and a great tutorial!

14. December 1, 2009 12:32 am

Wow can I get this made for my birthday in MArch? 🙂

15. December 1, 2009 2:22 am

That’s a very gorgeous cake. Great tutorial too.

16. December 1, 2009 3:17 am

wow, i really thot it was a real wrapping paper all along until i finished reading the whole recipe!
    you are good!

17. December 1, 2009 6:36 am

WOW!! Beautiful cake.

18. December 1, 2009 8:08 am

awesome! i am drooling…!!!!!

19. December 1, 2009 9:25 am

Holey. Crap. That looks good. And I learned something to boot!

20. December 1, 2009 9:58 am

What a beautiful birthday cake! I hope it was well liked and eaten.

21. December 1, 2009 10:00 am

I always like to add a little kahlua or espresso to chocolate cakes to amp up the flavor but 2 cups? With Sour cream and Cream Cheese? Decadent. Heavenly. This is a keeper recipe with or without the collar but loved learning about how to do it. I am coveting your cake stand! Where ever did you find that!?!

22. December 1, 2009 12:02 pm

its a beautiful cake! i wish i had the confidence to try that! ha ha … i have seen the type where you put pirouette cookies all around it, put a bow on it to make it look pretty … that sounds way easier to me! good job!

23. pat permalink
    December 2, 2009 11:56 pm

Wow, Mary. Another cake where you’ve out- done yourself!
    I really think cakes are your specialty.
    I’m sure Tess LOVED it!

What a birthday treat!!!

24. December 3, 2009 11:43 pm

Wow! I love the decorations on the outside!!

25. December 6, 2009 2:26 pm

Great cake – Kori told me its the best cake she’s ever had. She can’t get over the fact that its so chocolaty, but isn’t so rich that you’re done for. You can even have a second piece.
    Sam & I had to finish it off. It was our duty.

• foxygirl permalink
      September 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Oh, really, Mr. Winker? 😄 Was it your civic duty to finish it? Was it against the law not to? Would the world end if you didn’t? 😄 Just kidding, all of those are obviously true.

26. December 11, 2009 8:54 pm

I just made this cake for a 50th birthday dinner party tomorrow night. The collar turned out great! I couldn’t find acetate, so I pieced together two very flimsy, plastic cutting boards and used those. It is BEAUTIFUL! Thanks, Mary, for the great instructions. I’ll be sure to let you know how the guests like it. I’ll also post the rest of the menu items on Foodo.

27. December 12, 2009 7:40 pm

So far, so impressed! They JUST HAD to know how the heck I made that cake. They thought it was from Woullette’s Bakery. Ah, I love to impress the gay men!

28. December 13, 2009 9:49 am

De. Lish.

29. foxygirl permalink
    September 23, 2010 5:44 pm

I’m one of the recipients of that cake, and I have to say, it was absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for inviting me to your birthday party, Tess!

p.s. Hey, Tess, this would be a great cake to use to bribe people that we’re the right people to rule the world! 😄 Just kidding, of course.

30. kaitlin permalink
    May 30, 2011 5:08 am

I must tell you, I made this cake last year for Cinco de Mayo and I’d had the leftover frosting in my freezer ever since then. A bit odd, yes, but the extra kahlua I’d added kept it okay. I’ve covered frozen bananas with it, drizzled it over poached pears, every thing I did was awesome. I finally used the last of it this morning for a final cake for work, which my coworkers adore. Thank you for the recipe, it’s the best frosting I’ve ever had and the cake was wonderful too.

May 30, 2011 3:09 pm

So glad you liked it, I guess this time around, you’ll make less frosting? or maybe not 😉
      ~ Mary