Ginger Tilapia with Banana Puree and Curried Quinoa

November 9, 2009

How do you make something ugly look as good as it tastes?  Put it on a pretty plate, get a bright background and cross your fingers hard.  Clean Eating had a difficult time with it too – so much so that they colored the banana puree – let’s face it – this sucker’s UGLY!  Usually something this ugly would get dropped before it even saw the lens of the camera.  But the flavor, oh the FLAVOR!

A dinner like this would also get a few posts – the side, the accoutrement and the fish – but I couldn’t pull off three uglies in a row – so here it is all in one shebang and if you choose to make it you WILL NOT be disappointed.  I don’t even like bananas – in fact – it was almost a deal breaker, but I pressed on and am glad I did!

All three were adapted from the September/October Issue of Clean Eating

Curried Quinoa

In saucepan over med-high heat bring to a boil:

1 1/2 Cups Chicken or Veg Broth

1 Tbsp Curry Powder

Salt & Pepper to taste

Once boiling add;

1 Cup thoroughly rinsed Quinoa

rinsing loosens up the outer coating of saponin, which can give quinoa a bitter taste if not removed

Bring back up to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat and fluff just before serving.

Banana Puree

While Quinoa is simmering make the puree. In a saucepan over med-high heat with a little oil saute:

1/2 Small diced Onion

1 Tbsp Fresh Minced Ginger

Once translucent add:

3 Mashed Over-ripe Bananas

1/4 Cup Water

1 Tbsp Honey

2 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar – I used 1 Tbsp Cider and 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar

1/2 tsp Allspice

Bring just to a boil then lower temp and simmer for 5 minutes. Puree with hand-held submersion blender or regular blender or serve as is.

Add:

Salt & Pepper to taste

Ginger Poached Tilapia

In a large frying pan add:

3 Tbsp Lime Juice

1 Tbsp Fresh minced Ginger

2 Tbsp Honey

1/4 Cup Water

Mix well then add

3- 4 Tilapia Fillets

Bring to a simmer over medium high heat cover and poach until fish is flaky.

1. November 9, 2009 8:01 pm

😀 You did well with the presentation. I’ve never tried pureed bananas for a sauce. But I trust you and why not?

2. November 9, 2009 8:16 pm

Love the ginger/banana/vinegar combo… sounds like it’s got a good little kick.

3. November 9, 2009 8:16 pm

Just another reason to never judge a book by it’s cover! Some of the tastiest things I have made don’t look so hot on the plate– go figure! Recipes do sound delicious, though 🙂

4. November 9, 2009 9:15 pm

Love talapia, it all looks good to me. But I’m starvin’ right now….!!!

5. November 9, 2009 11:27 pm

They are fine with me and i like the way you poach Tilapia, healthy and flavorful, isn’t it?

6. November 10, 2009 6:42 am

Quinia is showing up all over the place right now! I thought it was too healthy to be delicious..I was wrong. Sounds like a great din din.

7. November 10, 2009 7:27 am

Pureed banana with fish! Such a weird combo but it looks really good. Have to try this.

8. November 10, 2009 9:34 am

super healthful and flavorful dish, I love this. Quinoa seems to be popping everywhere lately, I must get my hands on this stuff!

9. November 10, 2009 12:20 pm

I love Tilapia…and Quinoa is my new favorite thing to be served with, well, everything! This dish sounds killer! I’m gonna get on it asap! xoxo
    Kristin from Bitchin’ Lifestyle

10. pat permalink
    November 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Ok, you got me. At the risk of sounding uninformed……what is quinoa?

11. November 10, 2009 10:21 pm

I agree with you… fish and a few other food things can look ugly, but you manage to pull it off and make it look a little more decent and edible :o) LOL!! Sounds yummy!

12. November 13, 2009 12:26 am

Quinoa has been a favorite for me for a long time. I’ve never tried it with curry. Sounds great!