Red Lentil Basmati Rice

November 5, 2009

Oh boy! Another WINNER from the Union Square Cafe – I’m on a roll with their cookbook.  I’ve had this one earmarked for a while and finally got around to it.  It’s so damn simple I think I could kick myself for not making it forever ago.

I have a confession to make – John was out-of-town and I ate the WHOLE thing (except the picture’s serving) for dinner! oink, oink

If you try it you might want to get the sturdier split red lentil – they’ll hold up better for the stirring at the end.

Red Lentil – Basmati Rice

in a medium sauce pan with a little olive oile saute`

1/2 an Onion diced small

then add:

3/4 Cup Basmati Rice

1 Bay Leaf

Stir until rice becomes slightly opaque then add:

1 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth

Let simmer until finished cooking – about 15 min.

In another saucepan over med heat with a little olive oil saute`about 1 minute:

1 Tbsp peeled and minced Ginger

1 tsp Cumin

1/2 tsp Corriander

1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper – optinal

saute`about 1 minute then add:

3/4 Cup Red Lentils

Stir to coat evenly then add:

1 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth

Bring just to a simmer then watch CLOSELY so they don’t over-cook.

Mix both rice and lentils together in a large mixing bowl and serve topped with very thinly sliced

Green Onion

1. pat permalink
    November 6, 2009 10:27 am

Your picture is flawless, such clear detail. I’m impressed! The recipe sounds DELICIOUS! This sounds like it may become a new “family favorite!”

2. November 8, 2009 9:02 am

I am sooo making this tonight for dinner, I love lentils and rice, just never thought of putting them together. YUM!

3. November 8, 2009 10:32 am

this looks amazing, I love the combination, a winner in my book:)

4. November 8, 2009 10:38 am

Union Square Cafe was one of my favorite places to eat when I lived in New York and I love their cookbook, too. I hadn’t tried this recipe, so thanks for featuring it.

5. November 8, 2009 11:59 am

Looks delicious– I think the Union Square Cafe book is going on my list of must-have cookbooks!

6. November 8, 2009 12:03 pm

I love red lentils. I can’t wait to try this! Looks fantastic.

7. Shelly Huang permalink
    November 8, 2009 4:48 pm

wow! your recipes make me want to get a copy of the Usq Cafe cookbook! I have yet to pay them a visit by my picky foodie friends all rave about it!

8. November 8, 2009 5:21 pm

This look terrific. I would eat the entire bowl too!!

9. November 9, 2009 8:27 am

This is definitely a winner recipe. I could definitely eat the entire huge bowl of this.

10. tastyeatsathome permalink
    November 9, 2009 11:50 am

Your photo looks great. And I love rice and lentils, and this sounds comforting and yummy!

11. November 9, 2009 7:15 pm

We love red lentils, but use them most often in soup. This looks like a great recipe for a red lentil meal. Gotta look for that cookbook! Thanks.

12. November 10, 2009 12:15 am

What a great recipe! I am saving this for this week!

13. November 11, 2009 5:52 am

that certainly looks incredibly delicious! beautiful photo! makes me want to give it a go :))

14. November 12, 2009 3:05 pm

looks amazing. Love the spices in this!

15. January 29, 2010 5:20 pm

Thats Basmati rice done Right!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      January 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Why thank you – that means a lot coming from the experts! ~mary

16. irena permalink
    February 3, 2011 8:18 pm

I just got done makin this and this recipe was soooo good!!! My cupboards were pretty much bare, I didnt have time to run to the store, so I looked up rice and lentil recipes cause its pretty much the only two things I had, and this masterpiece came up! I am so impressed, and it was so simple and quick. I used a lemon chile oil to saute (I was out of everything else!) and it gave it a very slight lemony flavr which I think made the dish. I’m sure even with regular oil it would be equally delicious! You must try this!

February 3, 2011 9:20 pm

So glad you liked it, thanks for letting us know! I’ll have to give that chile oil a try next time.
      ~ Mary