New York Times Chocolate Chippers

October 19, 2009

Don’t waste these on children!  Seriously – they won’t appreciate them –  you’re better off making them a batch of Toll House and hording these for yourself.  You’ll know what I mean after you taste them and you’ll thank me afterward!  Rebecca from Ezra Pound Cake convinced me to make these – she’s sneaky that way.  I’m not a Chocolate Chip Cookie fan like Kevin, but I am now.

I’ve made them twice in under a month – highly unusual for a non- fan wouldn’t you say?  Well Ghiradelli came out with these 60% Cocoa Chocolate Chips and it’s been down hill since I found them – it’s wrong I tell you – WRONG!  I’ll never have Nestle again.

Two notes – if you don’t have a kitchen scale you should get one – it’s time.  Second I’ve let the dough set for the full 36 hours (there wasn’t much left) I didn’t feel there was a whole lot of difference between the 24 hour and the 36 hour rest – score!  Third I made them with all all-purpose flour – by the weight and then with both flours and there wasn’t a noticable difference – to me anyway.  And lastly – I only put in half the chips – honestly these cookies are so spectacularly toffee crisp on the outside and chewy perfection on the inside they don’t even need the chips – in my humble opinion. That’s also why her cookies look thicker than mine – twice the chips would do that.

Sorry – that was more than two things.

NYT Chocolate Chippers

Adapted from The New York Times, David Leite and Jacques Torres

Makes 15-18 cookies

Sift into a bowl and set aside:

2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour

1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt

With an electric mixer, until very light, about 5 minutes:

2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) butter

1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar

Add:

2 eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Stir in:

2 tsp vanilla

Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds.

Drop in and incorporate without breaking:

11 ounces to 1 1/4 pound bittersweet chocolate chips Ghirardelli makes a 60% one (I like fewer choc chips – you may want the full amount)

Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350º

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.

Scoop six 3 1/2-ounce mounds of dough (about 1/3 cup) onto baking sheet,

Optional to sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes.

1. October 19, 2009 2:17 pm

These look incredible!!!

2. October 19, 2009 8:46 pm

i also have that recipe featured on my blog and used Ghirardelli chocolate (which is good!), but the cookies still weren’t sweet enough. i like it when the sugar in desserts kicks you right in the face. glad they turned out well for you though! cookies are delicious!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 19, 2009 10:22 pm

I’m the exact opposite – I only like a hint of sweetness – it allows the other flavors to shine through like um butter and vanilla yummmmmm!

3. October 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Mmmmm…wonderful!Love it…

4. October 19, 2009 9:56 pm

These look good and I’ll keep my eyes open for these baking chips.

Which kitchen is the best one? Do you have a recommendation?

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 19, 2009 10:19 pm

I had to go read my post again to understand your question – I think you mean kitchen scale. I have no recommendations – I’ve got a cheap digital from IKEA that’s taken a licking and kept on ticking without a battery replacement for more than six years. At work I use manual ounce and pound scales. All are good – it just depends on your pocketbook and preference. I do know I would be LOST without one though!

5. October 19, 2009 10:55 pm

Yummmmmmmmmmmm, you had me at chocolate!

6. October 20, 2009 12:28 am

you’re a cruel cruel person!!! I want!

7. October 20, 2009 12:55 am

when it’s cold, what’s better than a nice glass of milk with a biscuit filled with chocolate?

8. October 20, 2009 5:11 am

very lovely choc cookies. I would love a bunch of that with a cup of hot coffee now…mmmm. Looks so tempting.

9. October 20, 2009 6:56 am

They do look delicious!…

10. October 20, 2009 7:34 am

I tell my husband the same thing! I can;t go back to Nestle. Ghiradelli’s bittersweet chips are the best! Great recipe!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 20, 2009 8:35 am

Nestle is like eating wax bits now 😉

11. October 20, 2009 8:05 am

uh oh looks like I need to try out these cookies since they are suppose to be better than nestle

12. October 20, 2009 11:06 am

My whole life I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe and this one looks damn close! I can’t wait to try it out for the holidays 🙂

13. pat permalink
    October 20, 2009 11:27 am

Who ever thought that our trusty “Chippers” recipe could be outdone? We made them so many times I knew the recipe by heart. We ate them up so fast I doubled the recipe and spread the batter in a jelly-roll pan to bake because the dolup-by-dolup method was too time consuming.
    I’ll try these to be sure they’re better than our beloved “Chippers.”
    I’ll use less chips, too. I always liked the cookie itself better than the chocolate chips. (Does that make me some kind of freak? There you have it, the truth is out!)

14. October 20, 2009 11:39 am

It is so hard to make a good chocolate chip cookie. I think it’s the ultimate baking test. Thanks for the inspiration to try again!

15. October 20, 2009 11:54 am

The problem is not finding a good chocolate chip recipe in my book; the challenge would be to find a bad one.

16. October 20, 2009 2:50 pm

I wish we lived closer because I would raid your cookie jar 🙂

17. October 20, 2009 6:39 pm

My daughter and I are looking at these scrumptious cookies together and would really like to make them tomorrow. Yum!

18. Laurel permalink
    October 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Those do look scrumptious and they’re almost exactly the way my husband likes them, without chocolate chips! I should make him a batch.

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 20, 2009 8:07 pm

Get on it girl! – I’ll bet you’ll like them too!

19. October 20, 2009 9:00 pm

I am so going to make these!!!

20. October 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Yummy! Thanks for saving me one.

21. Frank permalink
    October 26, 2009 4:03 pm

I wonder if they’d be good with Belgian Chocolate? HA! Ghirardelli – BLAH!

HAHAHAHAHA!

I guess I’ll need to learn to bake cookies. DOH!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 26, 2009 4:32 pm

you’re a DORK! and Evil! – John & I finally finished those individually wrapped chocolates you gave us – DELICIOUS and they lasted A LOT longer than we could’ve imagined!

22. November 22, 2009 9:51 am

these look amazing – we also found the ghiradelli chips…nothing else like them!!

1. Momofuku & NYT Chocolate Chip Dream Cookie |