Burmese Wings

October 15, 2009

This is like Chinese take out without the grease! Chicken wings are baked in the oven with a crisp coating then doused in a sweet and savory sauce that’s to dream for! Truly ADDICTIVE!

As you can see this recipe works great on boneless skinless chicken tenders too.  I adapted this recipe from the cook book Fire & Spice by Jacki Passmore   Patty had given it to me years ago and I finally decided to nail down one recipe – lucky me – I chose a REAL WINNER!

burmese carmelized chicken

The original recipe is much hotter and the chicken was battered and deep fried.

In a large zip top bag combine

2-3# Chicken Wings or Tenders

2 Beaten Eggs

1 tsp Kosher Salt

1 Tbsp Turmeric

2 Tbsp Minced Fresh Ginger

Seal, massage then add

1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs

zip up bag (leaving the air in) and shake to distribute evenly.

Place on sprayed baking sheet and bake at 425º for 20-25 minutes on each side (just 10-12 min on each side for tenders).

in DEEP sauce pan combine:

1/2 cup water

1 ½ Cups Packed Brown Sugar

¼ Cup Chopped Cilantro

¼ Cup Minced Garlic

½ Cup Rice Wine Vinegar

1 Tbsp Cracked Black Peppercorns

**CRACKED Black Peppercorns are not that hot.
using regular or Course ground pepper would be TOO HOT! If you can’t find CRACKED Peppercorns you can make them by putting whole peppercorns in a bag and crushing them with a rolling pin.  The pieces should be fairly large.

Stirring constantly, bring to heavy simmer/boil for 15 min. until slightly thickened.
Dunk each cooked tender in sauce with tongs or place tenders on tray and drizzle sauce over top.

Serve with Jasmine Rice

1. pat permalink
    April 4, 2009 8:52 pm

This looks DELICIOUS!!!
    If I wasn’t making your Chicken and Dumplings for dinner, this would be my choice!

2. April 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Oh my! That looks absolutely wonderful Mary!! I was looking for some recipes using tumeric – thanks!

3. foododelmundo permalink
    May 21, 2009 7:59 am

Katy left me an email about the pepper.
    My response: I updated the recipe to explain CRACKED peppercorns.

Then I laughed too because I omitted about 10x the heat of different peppers from this recipe in the first place because the original was way too hot.

The title of the cook book IS FIRE & SPICE!

4. May 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Even with the wrong kind of pepper, this was really good! Second day leftovers were great, too. I left the sauce on to boil for too long, so some of it candied. Next time I’ll wait for it to thicken and not leave it on any longer. A real winner. Both Carolyn and I really liked it.

5. Carol Nguyen permalink
    June 23, 2009 9:21 am

That’s looks great. I am going to try this tonight.

6. August 2, 2009 6:39 pm

This chicken looks amazing- I am not a fan of chicken breasts, but could probably use boneless thighs as well!

7. October 15, 2009 7:13 pm

This looks so great. Love that it’s baked!

8. October 15, 2009 7:30 pm

This looks soo tasty! I love that they’re baked! I can’t wait to try these 🙂

9. October 15, 2009 7:44 pm

they look awesome!
    i love chicken wings! especially these flavorful, crispy, delicious ones!

10. October 15, 2009 8:01 pm

I am totally making this…You guys ROCK OUTLOUD!!!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Oh Miranda you really won’t regret making this one – honestly it’s like crack cocaine to a junkie!
      – Mary

11. October 16, 2009 3:05 am

I can use chicken wings and this can go with cous cous. YUM!

12. October 16, 2009 9:18 am

Mmm.. this look sticky, gooey, good!

13. October 16, 2009 9:31 am

Mary, these look simply amazing! A wonderful new way to cook up wings for the big game! I like that these aren’t fried also. Whenever I do my buffalo wings I always either grill them or bake them on a rack over a cook sheet. Who needs the mess and all that fat! Great recipe.

14. October 16, 2009 11:48 am

Used to go to an amazing Burmese restaurant in San Francisco–wonderful flavors…now I am craving these, and the vegetable samosas.

15. October 16, 2009 7:14 pm

Man, does this look great. I’ve never been to Burma, but we’ve had Burmese food in Malaysia and Thailand. Wonderful. Thanks, this one goes in the recipe box.

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Hey Jeanette Welcome! – I’ve only been to the Northern boarder of Burma and have gorgeous photos and a blanket to show for it. I actually got to the Malaysian boarder, but couldn’t cross because my co-workers forgot to tell me to bring my passport with. It was a LONG torturous ride from Chon Buri, Thailand – but I was invited to a wedding wayyyyyyy out in the middle of nowhere with the rice farmers – wow – that was in ’89 – but seems like yesterday! Thanks for giving me a great memory today!

16. October 17, 2009 9:30 am

Am I missing something? These look really easy to do and the flavor combo sounds amazing!

17. October 18, 2009 11:42 pm

this chicken looks very delicious and easy to make. Thanks for sharing

18. October 21, 2009 9:03 am

I’m craving for this right now. I know it may not be appropriate but I want to eat this while watching DVD at home.