Harvest Pancakes

October 13, 2009

Dang these are good – I can’t stop making them!  Ever had the nutty pancakes at IHOP?  Welllll these are BETTER!  At least I think so – and my friends – that’s the only opinion that matters here!  So quit dilly dallying, get these ingredients and GET ON IT!  Make extra and eat them plain and at room temp the next day.

My pancake making skills have improved immensly since I started this blog – cooking at a lower temp is key for me!  These are lighter and more fragile than these Blueberry Corn Pancakes, and they’re just as delicious in a different sort of way.

Harvest Pancakes

Grind/pulse  in blender or cuisinart:

1 Cup Quick Cooking Oats

3/4 Cup Nuts – combination or choose one: Pecans, Blanched Almonds, Walnuts

Place in large mixing bowl and combine with:

1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour

2 Tbsp Flax

1 TBSP Baking Soda

1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder

1 tsp Salt

1/3 Cup Sugar

Mix together in seperate vessel:

1 3/4 Cup Buttermilk

2 Eggs

1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

Add to dry ingredients and stir just to combine.

Lightly oil or spray a large skillet and cook over med to med-low heat.

About 1/4 cup of batter works best.

1. October 14, 2009 6:10 am

Beautiful pancakes! I love your pictures. I also like the way you add the old recipes below. Very nice! Once again, I LOVE YOUR SITE!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 14, 2009 10:34 am

Oh Miranda – there you go again – too kind! Have you tried those pickles yet?
      ~ Mary

2. bluejeangourmet permalink
    October 14, 2009 9:15 am

yum! these sound fantastic…I think they would go nicely with my Vermont maple syrup.

3. October 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Gorgeous pancakes. And all that good stuff… definitely a breakfast I can stand behind! Just got a quart of WI Maple syrup for $12 last weekend (yes — $12), and this would be the perfect use for it!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Sounds delish! May seem like a lot of do re me for the syrup – but it’ll be worth every penny I’m sure – Enjoy it!
      ~ Mary

4. October 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Wow! Love the whole grains and flax. These sound wonderful!

5. October 14, 2009 10:26 pm

YUM! we had Buckwheat Cakes this morning… hmm! I have my eye on the Blueberry Corn Pancakes!! Looks DELISH!!

6. October 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Wow, gorgeous pancakes!

7. October 15, 2009 2:25 am

They’re definitely better than IHOP.

8. October 15, 2009 2:39 am

Nuts are a good addition to almost anything… these pancakes really look scrumptious and their nutrient balance is much better than in the common ones. BTW, gorgeous plate!

9. October 15, 2009 6:08 am

I JUST made pancakes for dinner this week – I don’t use oats in my recipe but I will have to try. The oats must make the pancakes even more filling! They sound great, a must try!

10. October 15, 2009 6:54 am

These sound delicious and they look diet friendly 🙂 Love your website!!

11. October 15, 2009 9:02 am

I haven’t had pancakes in forever! These look so good…. Thanks for adding the awesome images, now I have a pancake craving 😉

12. October 15, 2009 10:35 am

What a great recipe! I love the ground oats added into the mix.

13. October 15, 2009 11:09 am

Love these with the oats and WW flour!

14. October 15, 2009 12:56 pm

These look delicious – a great change of pace from the usual buttermilk pancakes!

15. October 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Love this photo… you can see every nut!

16. October 15, 2009 6:17 pm

I don’t eat enough pancakes, I should change that.

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 15, 2009 6:58 pm

That’s because you’re eating too much candy!

17. October 15, 2009 8:08 pm

Looks simply grand – each and every ingredient. And I hear it is National Pancake Month – need to make some of these!

18. October 16, 2009 10:30 am

Wow! So healthy and delicious! Anything cooked at home is better than IHOP, yes?
    Another winner, Mary!

19. October 16, 2009 9:23 pm

The pancakes look delicious, the recipe sounds delicious! But what I really love is the plate!! That’s a cool plate! Did you make it yourself by chance? Or are they available somewhere?

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 16, 2009 9:36 pm

How KIND of you to say! Yes, I made it – just about everyone in the family has a set of dishware that can seat around ten or twelve. I LOVE pottery as much as I love cooking! I think Katy got the prettiest set, but unfortunatly black doesn’t photograph well, but she was able to get a couple shots: https://foododelmundo.com/category/katy/
      Welcome to Foodo and Thank YOU again!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Oh yeah here’s another link, of my pottery, to an old site that’s probably ready to expire: http://mudjewels.com

• October 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Beautiful! Years ago I spent a lot of time at a good friend’s house, she was a full time artist/potter. I had a lot of fun making dishes and got halfway decent at throwing. Still have a few mugs that haven’t broken. Thanks for the links. I really love your plates!

20. Sat Kartar permalink
    October 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Oh My- It’s National Pancake Month? I love creating all kinds of pancakes, so I will go on a marathon this month and use this recipe. The keys to pancake’s being light is buttermilk, oats,letting the batter sit for 1/2 hr. and never patting down on them with the spatula. I counted 9 pancakes in the photo…guess they slide down easy! Thanks for sharing your gems, I just brought back some Canadian Syrup from a small organic farm where you can pick up raw milk and other goodies. I did 2 mos. raw milk and I feel so strong from it.
    We should all buy the farm soon, especially in Canada.

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 16, 2009 10:03 pm

Sat Kartar – you’re funny! I didn’t realize it was nat’l pancake month. What makes milk raw – straight from the animal without pasteurizing? I’ll bet the syrup is awesome and yes, the pancakes go down very easy – I made a bunch, stored them in a ziploc bag on the counter and we snacked on them for a few days – YUM!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 16, 2009 10:05 pm

Good luck with your marathon!

21. Ben permalink
    October 17, 2009 10:25 am

I made the Harvest Pancakes this morning with almonds, and WOW! I love all the almond nutty bits that your teeth clamp down on, the golden look they emanate, and light too!!

Keep up the astounding exploring of food and life!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 17, 2009 4:37 pm

Oh Ben ~ you’ve made my day! Thank you so much for coming back and letting me know!

22. October 25, 2009 10:14 am

I made the cakes this morning, but instead of grinding the oats I left them whole, because I like the texture. They were really awesome. I will never again go to IHOP for my favorite pancakes, because now I can make them at home!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 25, 2009 12:45 pm

HaaAppY! I feel the same way – we rarely got to IHOP and I loved their pancakes – now to be able to have them regualrly – priceless!! Glad you liked them and THANK YOU for letting me know!

23. October 25, 2009 11:28 am

YUM! I made these for breakfast, and they were amazingly delicious. I made a few mods (added spices, used skim milk, subbed ground flaxseeds, and did 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 all-purpose flour).

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 25, 2009 12:46 pm

Love the additions – spice sounds great – I think I’ll try some pumpkin pie spice next time – thanks for the idea and thank YOU for letting me know you tried them!

1. Get ready for the morning after « A Season to Taste