Farm Favorites

October 11, 2009

Patty’s Pickles got me running down memory lane.  Remember Country Style Chicken Bake? Judging from the dirt on the recipe card I’d say I made it a bazillion times but maybe none of you does remember because we all ate like wild animals and were worried we wouldn’t get seconds.  Remember Patty’s rule “….after second helpings you can have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches”  Kevin took her up on it EVERY night!

Pop Up Pizza Casserole – I made it in the big broiler pan and we’d leave the oven light on so we could watch it rise.  I re-visited this one when I was opening the store and I’m here to tell you – it ain’t so great – the five star rating – not sure why – maybe it was the magic of that broiler pan and when I tried to re-create it – it just didn’t work in a cake pan.  John coined the name “Farm Favorite” after eating this one, now when he doesn’t care for something I’ve made he kindly asks “Is this a Farm Favorite” then I call him names 😉

Let’s be leinient on the spelling in these recipes the time was circa 1980 and I was NOT a great student and hated reading – to Patty’s constant consternation!  Remember “Quiet Time” in the summer!? Reading was always a big part of that.

Taco Roll Ups took a lot of concentration for me because the dough/crust had to be rolled up – hot topping spread across the top then rolled up like cinnamon rolls and put on a sheet pan before it got too hot to handle.  It surely was a MESS MAKER!  Katy remembers WELL Patty’s other rule (just to be clear Patty had WAY more than two rules) whoever made dinner the other one had to do the dishes.  This may seem to you like there were only two kids in the house – right?  HA! There were only two GIRLS in this household where chauvinism reigned supreme.  It can still be a tender topic so I’ll tread lightly – but do remind me to share with you the internal BLOW OUT I had the day Sean’s foot could touch the gas pedal on the tractor.

How about you guys – fond childhood food memories?  I’d love to hear them.

Patty’s Hungarian Goulash anyone?

1. October 12, 2009 10:13 am

Thanks for taking us back – and the recipes! I shared one of my grandmother’s pickle recipes today. Thanks for asking us to share…

2. October 13, 2009 10:33 pm

I sadly don’t have any written down recipes but my fondest memories are of my Grandfather spending all day making spaghetti and meatballs(the size of you fist)and big chunks of the best Italian sausages he could get. Also my grandmother’s pork roast and gravy is the best I ever had! Apparently the trick is a really crappy roasting pan so you get lots of brown bits. And lastly every once in a blue moon my family would get together and make sauerbraten and potato dumplings with homemade red cabbage. That was all on mom’s side. Dad’s side couldn’t cook if it meant saving their lives! This was fun and thanks for asking!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 14, 2009 5:33 am

GREAT story – thanks so much for sharing. Your next task, if you should choose to accept, get on those reletives that are still alive to remember and get them to write those recipes down – PRONTO!
      ~ Mary

3. October 14, 2009 2:52 am

Thanks for sharing this with us.

4. October 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Great recipes! When I was young we spent summers on a farm in a Ukrainian village, lots of fun. We loved eating baked potatoes in a real Russian-style stove, fish soup with my dad’s fresh catch, and corn on a cob 🙂

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 14, 2009 8:38 pm

I’m curious as to what a Russian style stove looks like. Thanks for sharing ayour wonderful memory!

5. October 15, 2009 9:12 am

Love old handwritten recipe cards, they’re great. Unfortunately, my grandmas both did most of their cooking out of thier head-so few written recipes.

6. pat permalink
    October 15, 2009 9:42 am

OK, but let’s get those rules straight.
    The rule was: you could eat as much dinner as you wanted, but were allowed only two peanutbutter sandwiches after dinner.
    The rule was necessary because Kevin would eat only two or three helpings of dinner, then fill up on peanutbutter sandwiches after dinner. He ate loaf of peanutbutter sandwiches for lunch, he needed to fill up on dinner. But, he LOVED peanutbutter sandwiches!
    Remember the taco eating contest? Twenty-something each for Kevin and JP. On taco nights we used to cook pounds of ground beef, grate pounds of cheese and chop up heads of lettuce!
    Remember when we were running low on beef (in the freezer) and it was time to butcher again? All the hamburger was gone and we were down to roasts and steaks. You’d come in from the fields or garden and ask, “What’s for dinner?” and were SO DISAPPOINTED when it was steak. “Oh, no, not steak again!”
    A one-inch thick T-bone of corn-fed Black Angus beef, grilled to perfection, and you’d groan! They were so big they filled up your whole dinner plate! They came in from the grill piled high on the biggest platter I had. It’s the best beef I’ve ever eaten.

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 15, 2009 11:35 am

good times…..good times! I MISS those steaks SO BAD – you told us we would. I think you need to do a Taco post Patty! Thanks for sharing – I think your memory is way better than mine!