Polenta Union Square Style

October 7, 2009

Here’s another cutie from the Union Square Cafe  Second Helpings cookbook.  A lot of pretty vegetables that would be great sauted on their own but then they’re stirred in with creamy polenta.  We’re headed out to NYC again and we’re going to try our darndest to get back to The Union Square Cafe.

Here’s another one from their first cookbook: Artichoke and Potato Ragout  that created quite a stir when it was posted a couple weeks ago.  Enjoy both why don’t you!?

Polenta Union Square Style

Cook

1 Cup Polenta according to package directions.

In place of water use 1/2 Chicken Broth & 1/2 Bean Liquid reserved from the can or cooking your own

When Polenta is almost cooked heat some olive oil in a large skillet and saute` over medium heat:

1 Med Carrot peeled and chopped

1 Leek white part only cleaned and chopped

1 Celery Stalk cleaned and chopped

Saute for 5 minutes then add:

2 Cloves Garlic minced

1 1/2 Cups Cooked/Canned White Beans– Cannellini, Butter/Lima or Northern

1 Bunch Swiss Chard cleaned and coarsely chopped

Stir until the Swiss Chard wilts add

1 tsp Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper

When polenta is cooked stir in the vegetable mixture and stir to combine thoroughly.

Add more Salt & Pepper to taste

Spoon into serving bowl and drizzle with Olive Oil.

1. October 7, 2009 6:21 am

What a great combo..can’t wait to try it!Figtreeapps

2. October 7, 2009 10:55 am

Hi Mary, I just found your blog, and I wanted to tell you that I love your photography. The colors are beautiful. Do you use natural light or lamps?

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 7, 2009 12:01 pm

Well WELCOME Linds and thank you! It was ALL natural & outdoor lighting because there was a wealth of it when the site started. Now that it’s not so plentiful there’s been some experimenting going on – mostly the photos with the screaming backgrounds have been done with fake lighting – except the choc/pbutter cake – that was outside.

3. October 7, 2009 8:57 pm

I love polenta, this is different, the picture is amazing and I will try this soon, thank you!

4. October 7, 2009 8:59 pm

This is another great dish! You guys rock!

5. October 8, 2009 6:19 am

i LOVE everything about this recipe! I haven’t use polenta in a very long time – you’ve inspired me!

6. October 8, 2009 12:43 pm

I love a hearty and yummy meal with lots of veggies!

7. tastyeatsathome permalink
    October 8, 2009 1:11 pm

Love polenta, and this dish looks yummy!

8. October 11, 2009 8:02 pm

Just made some polenta with gorgonzola and walnuts last night. Your recipe sounds yummy — all those veggies and beans.

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 12, 2009 8:38 am

That’s amusing – because we did make it back to Union Square Cafe this past weekend and ordered the Mascarpone Polenta with Gorgenzola and Walnuts.
      ~ Mary

9. October 13, 2009 11:47 pm

Now that’s my kind of polenta!

10. July 3, 2010 12:39 pm

I made this last night and it was FANTASTIC. So easy and healthy (not to mention a godsend for the gluten free world :D). Thank you for posting this! It is a new staple in my kitchen, and I am sharing this post all over the place. ^-^

July 3, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback Amanda!