Corn Chowder

October 1, 2009

As kids Patty made us garden.  Each year she had us each pick a “crop” – the garden was the size of a frickin football field – Sean for some reason always got corn – talk about easy!  Then he’d sell it by the road side at the bottom of the hill for $1.00/doz or was it $2.00?  He was a dirty little raggamuffin, but that never deterred the folks from stopping and buying.  I was always so very jealous!

On another note you may have noticed I’ve been experimenting with backgrounds and would love your opinion.  Which of these photo styles do you like better (top or bottom) and if you’re up to it you could perhaps tell me why.  I like both on different days.  I like the top style when I’m feeling smart & sassy – out with the old an in with the new – I’m as hip as I wanna be –   I’ll stop now before I lose you 😉   The bottom style strikes me when I need a bit of nostalgia, hominess, stability and perhaps a little comforting.

Quick easy and nothing too fancy except I did use fresh corn on the cob – bringing back those glorious gardening memories.

Simple Corn Chowder

Saute in heavy soup pot:

4 oz sliced bacon

Once fat has started to render add and saute 3-5 minutes:

1 Cup Diced Onion

1 tbsp Minced Garlic

1/2 Cup Diced Red Pepper

1 tsp Thyme

1/2 tsp Cumin

1/4 tsp Turmeric

Add:

1 Pound Diced Yukon Gold Potatoes

3 Cups Chicken Stock

Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste

2-3 Cups Corn kernels – fresh, frozen or canned

Turn up the heat, cover and bring to a boil for about 10 minutes or until potatoes have started to break up.

Stir together:

2 Tbsp Corn Starch

2 Tbsp Water

Slowly add to soup and stir.  Let thicken slightly and break up some more potatoes with the back of your spoon.

just before serving add:

1 Cup Cream OR 1/2 & 1/2 OR Whole OR 2% Milk – your choice –

Stir well and heat through.

1. pat permalink
    October 1, 2009 6:49 pm

I love the top photo for its crisp contrasts. Fresh and smart. I’d try that recipe. The bottom one is too homey and old fashioned. I’d never make that one.

Interesting how each creates such a different reaction!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      October 1, 2009 7:21 pm

what … no garden comments… how about how we all thought you were a slave driver!! 😉
      It took a number of years but we are able to laugh now.
      ~ Mary

• pat permalink
        October 3, 2009 11:21 am

The big garden was wonderful for our family! We ate up every morsel from it every year. Fresh, canned or frozen it’s produce nourished us through every season. You kids became strong and healthy AND hard workers.

What’s not to like?

2. October 1, 2009 9:03 pm

This is one of my favorite dishes ever…This looks mouthwatering.

3. October 2, 2009 7:50 pm

This looks great….I have made a similiar recipe, with heavy cream….this is a much healthier version will try! thanks

4. October 2, 2009 8:02 pm

That looks so autumnally astounding. All the colors of fall in a bowl.

5. October 2, 2009 9:16 pm

looks delicious! i love that bowl, too. this definitely gets added to the must try list.

6. Mick permalink
    October 3, 2009 2:50 am

I never liked that stupid giant garden. There was 30-40 potato plants for christ’s sake. I had to dig them all up every year. As far as I was concerned the only thing good about that garden was the tomato fight after the first freeze.

Imagine the internal conflict when I decided to plant a garden of my own 15 years later. Who was there to help me through it? Yep, you guessed it. Patty.

Thanks Patty!

Among other things there were 6 tomato plants, 3 cucumber vines and a dozen chile plants…

…for one guy.

• pat permalink
      October 3, 2009 11:53 am

That overplanting is inherited, I think.
      This year I had 27 tomato plants, too many cucumbers, carrots, beets and way too many eggplants for just the two of us.
      I’m canning, pickling and freezing like crazy!

7. October 3, 2009 4:15 am

Hmm the second pic definitely makes me hungry! Maybe I’m just old fashioned! Either way the chowder looks so yummily creamy!!!!!

8. October 3, 2009 11:24 am

I don’t know but i just don’t like corn soup! But the picture looks great!

9. October 3, 2009 1:30 pm

i also like the top photo. the red background brings out the crisp yellow color of the corn. 🙂

10. October 3, 2009 2:40 pm

I like the bottom photo – it evokes a very fall-like feeling.

11. October 3, 2009 4:04 pm

gotta give up can corn chowder now! cos no can soup can be having as much spice as yours homemade version!
    good job!

12. October 3, 2009 5:44 pm

A great fall dish! Comfort food at it’s best.

13. October 3, 2009 11:06 pm

I prefer the top photo better. BUt both looks very hearty and delicious.

14. October 4, 2009 1:43 am

Making the most of the summer. I love the second photo for it’s rustic approach. Actually, it was a hard decision choosing between the two.

15. tastyeatsathome permalink
    October 4, 2009 10:10 am

I kinda like the bottom one better. I do like the sharpness of your first photo, but given the dish at hand, I love the earthy, warm, comforty feel of the second photo. The bowl is lovely, by the way! And oh, the chowder, sounds like heaven!

16. October 4, 2009 3:01 pm

This looks good! I am going to have to make this into a vegetarian friendly version.

17. October 4, 2009 5:24 pm

Oh I was thinking about making a similar soup this week – this is helpful to read and get a few helpful hints! Thanks!

18. October 4, 2009 10:41 pm

The top photo grabs attention and makes the soup pop out. Sounds delicious!

19. October 5, 2009 5:15 am

a perfect soup for autumn!

20. October 5, 2009 10:57 am

I like the white dish, but the red can occasionally overpower the palette.

21. October 6, 2009 9:03 am

I like the top photo – from a purely visual standpoint, but I’d prefer to try the second soup 🙂

22. October 6, 2009 11:13 am

Background? What background? Sorry, I was too busy admiring the soup.

I’m gonna make this soup this weekend. YUM!

• October 8, 2009 12:25 am

Oh…I couldn’t wait until the weekend…made it tonight for something quick and it was GOOOOOOOOOOOD! I served it with gigantic homemade-buttery croutons. My kids, ages three and five, loved it and my husband had two helpings. Thanks again for a great recipe!

• foododelmundo permalink*
        October 8, 2009 6:30 am

And how kind of you to get back here and follow up – Thank you Chinyere!

23. October 17, 2009 8:04 pm

This corn chowder looks perfect. I love all the flavors you put into it. Delicious!