Grilled Veggie Dagwood

September 17, 2009

~ Frank ~

I’ve always been a fan of veggies on the grill, not as much as meat of course.  Recently I decided to explore the vegetarian section of the Barbecue Bible.  I can assure you this one is a winner.

I was able to buy all the ingredients at the Saturday market. Some great olive focaccia from the Spanish stand and really good fresh chevre from the French cheese stand nearby, really made a big difference.  I’ve also made it with big loaves of Turkish bread and it turned out very well.

The one alteration I have made to the recipe is to crush a couple of handfuls of olives over it just before putting the top on.  Really exceptional.

I always make enough for a couple of days.  It tastes great on day two as well.

Bon appetite!

Grilled Veggie Dagwood

adapted from The Barbecue Bible

Clean, trim and slice:

1  Eggplant

2 Zucchini

2 Yellow Squash

2 Red Bell Peppers

1 Red Onion

Crushed Olives of your choice

Honey

Place veggies in Ziploc storage bag or two and pour over marinade:

Mix together

1/4 Cup Olive Oil

2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice

2 Minced Cloves Garlic

1 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Rosemary or 1 tsp dry

Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste

Pour over veggies and let marinate for 20 minutes

Grill on hot grate about 3-6 min per side

Remove from grill and let cool

On a delicious loaf of bread that’s been cut in half lengthwise:

Brush on any remaining marinade.

Spread on a thin layer of Goat Cheese on each side (top & bottom) of bread.

Layer vegetables according to photos.

Top with crushed olives and drizzle with Honey.

Cut and serve warm or at room temp.

1. September 17, 2009 3:26 pm

I’m so happy to see you highlight grilling without meat and show that it can be delicious, filling and satisfying. I LOVE this post, and the sammich is really crave-worthy! The idea of crushing olives over the top is great – makes me think of muffalettas.

September 17, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks Lady!
      I’ll be sure to forward this on to Mickey – because he’s so damn busy – he rarely if EVER checks in here. I’m lucky I even got verbiage for this post – the photos have been in my que fo over two months!
      And I believe more congrats are in order for making the Top9 twice in one week!
      Cheers,
      Mary

2. pat permalink
    September 18, 2009 11:11 am

This looks delicious.
    Lo and behold, I just happen to have a plethera of egg plant and zucchini coming in from the garden….Hurray!

3. September 26, 2009 10:03 pm

This looks so good! And looking at the ingredients list, I bet it would be great even the next day for lunch, maybe even better. Like those pressed sandwiches. Oooo, I’m makin’ myself hungry!

4. September 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Beautiful! The grilled veggies sound very tempting to me. Adding a handful of olives would add a hit of salt that I love so much.

5. September 27, 2009 8:16 am

Gorgeous. I love this sandwich and with goat cheese, yes I’ll have some right now.

6. September 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Oh MY GOSH this looks phenomenal, delicious, and fabulous !!!!! Grilled vegetables are so good. Can I get one to go please, please, please?

7. September 27, 2009 3:24 pm

This looks delicious…great job!!!

8. September 27, 2009 10:36 pm

yum! love grilled veggies on sandwiches!

9. September 29, 2009 2:01 pm

This looks yummy!

10. September 29, 2009 11:28 pm

This is a great looking sandwich! Thanks for sharing it. I can’t wait to try it.

11. October 9, 2009 5:14 pm

Wow that looks good. I need to try this out.

12. July 3, 2010 8:36 pm

I made this again today.
    DANG is it ever good!