Papaya Mango Salsa Salad

August 9, 2009

Day 1  ~ Mary ~

As we tootle around Calgary this week you’re going to get a DAILY featured installment of Salsa Salads and Accouterments that go great with seafood, fish and poultry.

First up is this gorgeous Papaya Mango number.  I have never been a fan of papaya, but they were so gorgeous at the store cut in half , at peak ripeness, wrapped up and ready to go I couldn’t resist.

Did you know your taste buds change every seven years!?  It’s been forever since we stayed with Fred, over Christmas vacation in Trinidad & Tobago, that I last had a papaya – ummmm that would be more than 20 years ago.  I figured I could give them another chance –  it turns out the papaya was so lovely – I’ll be buying it more often!

I also marinated some chicken in the dressing for a couple hours before grilling.

Papaya Mango Salsa Salad

Combine in mixing bowl, let marinate for at least one hour

1 Cup Diced Papaya

1 Cup Diced Mango

1 Cup Red Grapes – cut in half if they’re big

1/2 Cup Diced Red Onion

1/2 Cup Diced Red Pepper

Handful Chopped Cilantro

Half a Handful Chopped Basil

2 Tbsp Minced Ginger

1/3 Cup Orange Juice

1 Tbsp Fish Sauce

Chile Pepper of choice chopped

Serve at room temp.

1. August 9, 2009 1:13 pm

I did not know the 7 year taste bud thingy. Good to know! hmmmm what have I not tried in a while….

I tried papaya about a month ago. I had a hard time enjoying it. I think it might have been a little too ripe – the texture bugged me 🙂

2. August 9, 2009 1:14 pm

But this salad looks good enough to give it a second try 😉

3. August 9, 2009 6:20 pm

i would so love this, fresh and fast, my fav kinda food~

umm minus the fish sauce… i get squeamish on that topic….

gorgeous pic, i always adore your stuff~

4. August 10, 2009 6:10 am

What a beautiful colorful salsa salad!!!Figtreeapps

5. August 10, 2009 7:39 am

This salsa looks incredible. WOW.
    Thank you so much for the awesome recipes.

6. traveleatlove permalink
    August 10, 2009 7:42 am

That salsa salad is beautiful!

7. August 10, 2009 9:27 am

I’ll admit that papayas aren’t my favorite fruit, but the addition of mango makes this a LOT more appealing to me 🙂 I’ll have to give this a shot sometime soon.

8. August 15, 2009 11:06 am

Interesting to note ‘serve at room temp’ as I thought they are to be served cold at the first sight.

9. August 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Refreshing photo friend. I just harvested my 1st bit of lime basil last night. I’ll bet it would go great in your luscious salsa salad. Wish I could send some to you 😉

10. August 16, 2009 9:13 am

What a stunning salad! I love to eat papaya with a little lime juice squeezed over it.

11. karen permalink
    August 17, 2009 2:02 am

when i saw it for the first time it looks refreshing to my eyes… and healthy too… i’m gonna try it for the anniversary of my parents..

12. August 17, 2009 3:58 pm

OMG..this salad looks awesome!!! Very colorful and the picture is so tempting…looks really good…I can’t stop looking at it!!!

13. August 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Looks great! Got all the ingredients here in Costa Rica :o)

14. September 13, 2009 8:19 am

Yum. This is a refreshing switch from the giganto burgers. Man cannot live by giant bacon burgers alone.