Clunkers, Stinkers & Crappers

July 22, 2009

~ Mary ~

Not everything goes as planned around here.  There have been a few less than stellar productions which pretty much stinks when you put forth the effort.  Let’s start with the clunkers – take the Sweet Potato Biscuits – don’t they sound (and look) wonderful!?  We thought so too, but the outcome was just eh and to go through the effort of boiling and mashing the sweet potato – definitely not worth it!  Shall we continue?

I’m always leery about making South American food, because John grew up with it and I didn’t – so it’s kinda like cooking in the dark.  Take for example all the ingredients in this photo that I put together to make empanadas.  When I told John what I was making he asked me THREE times “Empanadas? You’re going to make empanadas?”  He honest to goodness got misty on me!  Until…….I had him try the filling – NO GO!  I don’t get it – I consulted FOUR different recipes from four reliable sources and they all were very similar.  It’s NOT what his mother made when he was growing up!  I’ve competed in the mom arena before and it’s a puzzler – Long story VERY short – rice pudding – it only took me six years to get it right.  I’d go to the source but Fabsie (Fabiola aka Mom) has Alzheimer’s.  Oh and don’t let me forget to tell you – I never did fill any pastry because he hated the filling, but he ate it ALL anyway – I don’t get it – that’s the power of the pelican!

This Grilled Fig with Manchego Cheese Salad was so promising.  Everything about it sounds GREAT!  But the figs were already at peak ripeness and grilling them just put them over the top and into an almost mushy state.  You could barely taste the cheese and the candied pecans just didn’t belong.  Next time I’m going with the motto “Keep it simple stupid!”

These Asparagus wrapped in Bacon and sprinkled with Manchego are going in the Stinker File!  Can you tell Manchego Cheese is our new favorite cheese.  We have been eating it straight up and I’ve been trying to find ways to use it in cooking – this WAS NOT it!  The bacon was wrapped too closely and the whole thing tasted like a salt lick.

Another stinker this one from Mario’s grilling cookbook.  Thank goodness the first recipe I made from that book was a keeper!  Oh well – you win some and you lose some.

Here’s the CRAPPER they even look unappetizing.  Sardines from the Spain cookbook.  Plus the fact that the coals were just a mite bit too hot didn’t help matters.

There you have it – the first installment of Clunkers, Stinkers & Crappers!

1. July 22, 2009 3:07 pm

Mary, I love your blog! You are so organized. Your ingredients are well prepared in different sizes of bowls for different ingredients. Your photogtaphy is so awesome I could almost smell the aroma of newly grilled fish. The asparagis tips wrapped in bacon and manchego cheese looks very appetizing. We love manchego cheese. THe freshly made green salad with grilled figs, sliced red onion, and candied pecans with sliced manchego cheese are definitely
    a hit. I have figs just waiting in the fridge for me to use them. We are out of manchego cheese but I will go to costco and get some today.
    Thanks for sending me your posts.
    Chris

• July 23, 2009 10:03 am

Oh you are too kind Chris! Let me know if your experience with the Asparegus and Figs turn out better than mine.
      Oh and don’t think for a minute that I’m always that organized – usually I work on top of a mess…..or two – you can ask Katy and Patty – they were always cleaning up after me!

• July 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Mary? Organized??? Wow! She’s got you fooled. If it weren’t for the fact that she wanted to photograph the ingredients, she would NEVER have them looking this good. Mess on mess…but it always makes for a great meal, and if someone else is doing the cooking, I don’t mind doing the cleaning.

2. July 22, 2009 5:21 pm

Dont you hate that? All that effort with so so results..the photos look DELISH..I hope that helps..Figtreeapps

3. July 23, 2009 8:19 am

I find myself deleting a lot of photos from foods that just weren’t “Burp! Approved”… but I’m thinking now that we need to start admitting failure a little bit more often.

I’ve been there with the too salty dishes. And the “too complex for their own good” recipes.

I’m wondering about that fig salad, though. Wouldn’t you try it again with some slighly less ripe figs? Maybe? (Admittedly, I’m on a fig kick, so maybe I’m just partial)

• July 23, 2009 10:07 am

I find admitting failure in one fell swoop works like ripping of a band-aid quickly. But I must say those photos did fester and looking at them was like rubbing salt in the wound!

Yes, the figs and the salad do deserve a second chance – it’s just that I live in a working class Polish/Hispanic neighborhood and figs aren’t a part of the norm so I have to haul my ass to the Whole Foods ($5/pint) which is hell and gone – needless to say I won’t be trying it again soon. So if YOU do make a fig salad – please share!

4. July 23, 2009 9:59 am

Ha! I like these entries…great stuff for those who are reticent to try new stuff because it all looks so perfect and good on Foodo.
    I’ve got to get you the shrimp stack pics and recipes…they were FABULOUS! More asparagus next time, because that will photograph better.
    Making more stacks for a small dinner party next week. It’s going to be a 3-stack meal…salad stack, entree stack, dessert stack. Oh, yeah. Foodo’s got me looking through the recipe books and trying new things again. Lovely!

• July 23, 2009 10:01 am

I can’t wait! I think I’ll clean out some cans in anticipation of trying some new recipes!