Funky Buddha Chicken

June 28, 2009

Simple, Quick and Packed with Flavor!  You just need to get yourself some Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.  It’s in most grocers Asian section.

Here’s a picture.

This sauce is phenominal – sweet and spicy.  We went to a cooking class at Red Light this past fall and Chef Jackie Chen used it in a pasta salad – mixed with oil.  I took that idea and ran with it.  Here are the tasty results!

Funky Buddha Chicken

Marinate in Ziploc bag:

2# Chicken – your choice skin on/off bone in/out tenders/thighs

3/4 – 1 Cup Mae Ploy Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

1/3 Cup Soy Sauce

1/4 Cup Toasted Sesame Oil

Let marinate at least an hour or over night.  Drain and RESERVE marinade and grill up the chicken.

Boil off a Pound of Pasta – your choice.

While that’s cooking – In a small saucepan simmer the reserved marinade for 5 minutes or until it reaches 160°.

Mix with cooked pasta  and top with

2 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds – Black are pretty.

1. June 28, 2009 2:08 pm

I can’t belive there is only 6 ingredients involved in this recipe. It sounds so simple and delicious!

What are the other applications for this sauce?

By the way, thanks for finding me through Foodbuzz! 🙂

• June 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Hey Kitchen M ~
      In Thailand they use it as a condiment. I’ve also used it on bone-in chicken on the grill – just have to be careful because that sugar will burn.

2. pat permalink
    June 29, 2009 10:49 pm

This looks GREAT!! I’ve been searching something that’s as good as the garlic/soy/ginger/oil marinade.
    I’m gonna to get me some Thai Chili Sauce!

3. July 2, 2009 1:41 pm

OH yum! Easy in the summertime is my favorite. Love the name of the recipe – I was forced to click! Happy holiday!

4. January 9, 2010 8:54 pm

Mary,

Made this for dinner tonight – cooked inside on the george foreman – very good! Added some shredded carrotts and brocolli – yum!! Thank you for a great dinner!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      January 10, 2010 9:32 pm

and thank YOU, Lailani, for letting me know!

5. Paola permalink
    November 5, 2011 10:00 pm

This recipe looksnsuper yummy. should Inassume that using the reserved sauce even after having been in contact with raw meat is ok?

November 5, 2011 11:57 pm

It would not be safe if you did not cook it before you mixed it with the pasta. It is imperative that you simmer that marinade! As long as you get the temperature to 160 degrees (which simmering for 5 minutes will do) it will be safe.

6. November 6, 2011 3:21 pm