Blueberry Corn Muffins

June 26, 2009

Sometimes it’s a little difficult to get a good corn muffin recipe.  I’m partial to General Mills brand over making from scratch.  I made the Northern one in Joy of Cooking a few years back – that was after trying their Southern one which was decidedly DRY.

I found this one via foodgawker from Cheryl over at 5 second rule.  She does a great job of describing these.  For a scratch corn muffin this one was surprisingly moist and not too sweet.  Although don’t let them sit around – the next day they were a litte dry.  I changed it up ever so slightly – here’s my take:

Blueberry Corn Muffins

Makes five big and one tiny muffin – it’s just John & I – if you want more just double it to make eleven big ones.

Combine in bowl:

1/2 Cup EACH Cornmeal, Wheat Pastry Flour, All-Purpose Flour

3/4 tsp Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Soda

1/2 tsp Kosher Salt

Set aside.

In another bowl combine:

2 Eggs

1/3 Cup Brown Sugar

4 Tbsp Melted Butter

1/2 Cup Sour Cream

1/4 Cup Milk

Whisk well.

Combine with dry ingredients just until wet.

Add and stir just to incorporate

1 Cup Blueberries fresh or frozen

Spray muffin tin.  FILL to the rim with batter.

Top with a lot of:

Sugar in the Raw – I like a sparkling sugary crusty top!

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 min or until golden brown.

Let cool and serve.

1. Susan permalink
    June 28, 2009 6:15 am

what temperature?

June 28, 2009 11:18 am

400 degrees – I added it – thanks for noticing!

2. June 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks for the plug. I’m glad you like the recipe so much. Your version came out beautifully! I especially like how visible your sugar is on top… makes me want to make them again.

3. June 28, 2009 2:10 pm

Oh, look at the pretty sugar on top! I want to peel the tops off these muffins right now.

4. Lily permalink
    June 28, 2009 5:52 pm

I just made these because I was so in love with your picture (and I had fresh blueberries). They are excellent!

By the way, I doubled the recipe and it yielded around 18 muffins.

• June 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Oh Lily how KIND of you! Thanks so much for commenting and saying so.

5. June 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Oh my stars, these look delicious! They’re gorgeous and I’ll bet their as yummy as they look. 🙂

Love your mix of flours in the recipe too. I’m printing this one out. Thanks!