Spicy Black Bean Hummus

June 19, 2009

~ Katy ~

One of my clients calls me her “wife.” She says everyone needs a wife, and with her busy schedule, I’m the one who runs her errands, does the laundry and makes some of the new recipes she wants to try out. Bonus for me: she sends me home with half of the food since her kids won’t eat things like black bean hummus. She’s lost about 20 pounds by running and eating well, with many of her recipes coming from Cooking Light Magazine. This black bean dip looked good to both of us, so I whipped it up one day and liked it so well that I copied the recipe and have served it at several dinner parties. I’ve also made it just for something to snack on from time to time. It’s been a big hit with most people, and since I have a few vegetarian friends, it’s a great addition to any party they’re attending.

Please pass the Beano before consuming!

Spicy Black Bean Hummus

4-5 garlic cloves, peeled

2 Tblsps fresh lemon juice

1 Tblsp tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)

1 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp salt

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 small jalapeno pepper, chopped

Dash crushed red pepper

2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil

Dash ground red pepper

Place garlic in food processor; process until finely chopped.  Add lemon juice, tahini, cumin, salt, black beans, jalapeno pepper and crushed red pepper; process until smooth.  Spoon bean mixture into a medium bowl and drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with ground red pepper.  Serve with multi-grain or pita chips.  Serves 8 (serving size:  about 2.5 Tblsps hummus).

1. June 20, 2009 8:50 am

This looks great! I’ve been on a black bean kick lately, but I didn’t make a hummus.

2. June 20, 2009 10:38 am

Great recipe! I have been trying different alternatives to chickpeas hummus lately, and this one sounds nice =)

3. June 27, 2009 1:44 pm

Hey Kate
    I made this today – it’s mighty delish! It’s also great for John when he comes home from golf all famished – lots of protien and served with his favorite El Ranchero chips. Thanks for sharing!

4. June 27, 2009 5:59 pm

I love this – it looks absolutely delish, and it uses cheap ingredients. I am already craving this on a sandwich!

5. lawvixen1980 permalink
    June 29, 2009 11:08 am

So colorful! Gorgeous!

6. Gabrielle permalink
    July 9, 2009 11:45 am

My friend made this for her July 4th party and it was wonderful, I couldn’t stop eating it! Definitely planning on making it for myself this week =) Thanks for sharing the recipe

• July 9, 2009 12:25 pm

Thanks for letting us know! I’m making it again because it was so damn good. Unfortunatly I’ve got to share it with company – fortunatly I like them a lot!

• July 9, 2009 4:00 pm

So glad you’re all enjoying this! I’ve found I like keeping some on hand for a healthy snack when I get home from work. It goes fast.

7. July 27, 2009 3:00 pm

I made this AGAIN for the fourth time since you posted it. Now I’m snacking on it with zucchini coins as my “chips”.