Watermelon Cooler

June 5, 2009

Stephanie turned the BIG three – oh.  We celebrated with cake and watermelon coolers.  There was beer, but I needed a special drink for a true girly girl.  This fit the bill.  John & I kind of snarfed on them the night before sans alcohol.  Let me tell you – a 12-15 pound watermelon will make about a gallon of coolers AND they taste even better the next day.

The Birthday Girl

The Birthday Girl

Watermelon Coolers

Makes 2 1/2 Quarts.

In a saucepan over medium heat:

1 Cup Water

1 Cup Sugar

3″ piece of Ginger Minced

Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Strain and set aside.

Peel, seed and puree, in a blender, a very ripe watermelon – 2 quarts worth.

Mix together in large pitcher

1 Cup Lime Juice – fresh or bottled we noticed no difference.

Ginger Sugar Mixture

2 Quarts Watermelon Juice

Stir well.  Store in fridge and serve cold over ice with a lime garnish.

Vodka is nice in these too.

1. wanda permalink
    June 6, 2009 9:47 am

OK these look delicous and perfect for our hot summer nights!! Can’t wait to try them.

2. June 12, 2009 8:50 am

Thanks for the recipe, I was looking for a watermelon drink recipe!

3. oneordinaryday permalink
    June 12, 2009 1:00 pm

Oh, this is great! I just made a strawberry lemonade that we loved and this is going to make everyone happy too. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
    Michelle

4. June 12, 2009 2:25 pm

That looks very refreshing! Try sangria for your next summer drink!

5. oneordinaryday permalink
    June 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Just made this today and I’m in love. It’s so wonderfully refreshing! I’ve linked back to your recipe in my post. Thanks for sharing this.
    Michelle

• June 24, 2009 1:00 pm

Oh NO – Thank YOU!
      For stopping in and reporting back!
      It stores very well in the freezer too!

6. July 15, 2009 9:14 pm

Wow, this sounds really good. I was just thinking of the next type of popsicle to make for my daughter. I will make these and let he try them out. Thanks for the idea.