Strawberry Butter Cake

June 1, 2009

Oh Boy this cake delivered! It truly lives up to it’s looks!  The perfect celebration cake to ring in summer and Stephanie’s birthday.

Another winner from Sky High Cakes with a couple of my own additions.  It’s a mighty one too – weighing in at 10 pounds 5 ounces! It’s got a strawberry mousse filling, a cream cheese frosting and a strawberry coulis with Gran Marnier glaze on each layer.  I don’t think I’ll add the glaze next time – it kind of got lost.

I like to get all my pieces and parts made beforehand and assemble the cake the day of.  It makes life and entertaining much easier.  There are a couple items you can do well in advance and freeze:

The Cake – it’s dense and moist and no harm will come to it as long as you double wrap! I wrap in saran and put it in a ziploc.  A cold cake is much easier to assemble.

The Pureed Strawberries (need about 4 Cups) No recipe – just hull about 2 qts of strawberries and puree in blender.

The Frosting– Basic Cream Cheese frosting – just bring it to room temp to frost the cake.

You can make the Strawberry Mousse the day before.

Strawberry Butter Cake

Adapted from Sky High Cakes:

Preheat the oven to 350.  Butter and flour three 8″ round cake pans.

In mixing bowl combine:

4 1/4 Cups Flour

3 Cups Sugar

1 Tbsp & 2 tsp Baking Powder

3/4 tsp Salt

Mix on low speed for 30 seconds then add:

3 Sticks Softened Butter

1 1/4 Cups Strawberry Puree

Mix to blend then raise the speed to medium and beat to light and fluffy – about 3 minutes.

In another bowl whisk together:

10 Egg Whites

2/3 Cup Milk

In three separate addtions add to cake batter.  Blend after each addition until incorporated and wipe down sides of bowl.

Pour into prepared pans – about 1# 9oz per pan.

Bake for about 30 minutes.

Strawberry Mousse

With an electric mixer and cold bowl beat:

1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream

1/4 Cup Sugar

Set aside in fridge.

In a non-reactive bowl heat to warm:

1/2 Cup Strawberry Puree

Dissolve in puree:

1 1/2 pkgs Unflavored Geletin

Set aside to cool.

In another bowl mix together:

1 Cup Plain Yogurt

1/2 Cup Sugar

1 1/2 Cups more  Strawberry Puree

When geletined puree is cool mix in too then fold in the heavy whipping cream.  I stored this in a ziploc bag overnight and it got nice and firm which is good for this dense cake – there was no slipping around of the layers when assembling.

Cream Cheese Frosting

With an electric mixer beat together equal parts:

Cream Cheese and Butter

Add desired amounts of:

Sugar and Vanilla

Beat until light and fluffy.

For this cake I used about 4 Cups of frosting.  I usually make extra because it freezes well and I hate not having enough frosting mid-way through assembling a cake.

1. pat permalink
    June 2, 2009 10:03 am

This cake is georgeous!!!
    You always have loved cakes. On this one, you’ve outdone yourself. I wish I could have a piece right now!

2. June 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Oh my! This looks and sounds amazing!

3. June 20, 2009 11:41 am

What an amazing cake!!!!! I wish I could have a slice. =) Thanks for sharing.

4. June 23, 2009 8:32 pm

I am not a sweet eater at ALL. I don’t crave it and rarely, if ever eat sweets. However, I think your cake is not only visually beautiful but you cannot go wrong with…*hello* butter AND strawberries!

5. July 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Wow. Looks super awesome. Nice decorating! Tall cakes look so impressive : )
    Thanks for sharing.

6. July 20, 2009 5:41 pm

this is SO gorgeous, do you mind if i use this pic for the new food blog i started, with a link back to you?

7. Jasmine Bright permalink
    April 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Sorry for opening up an old post but this looks (and smells) great!

I’m in the process of making this right now! I had to do everything by hand, no mixer, no blender (used a potato masher on the strawberries.) But there was a huge strawberry sale at my neighborhood grocery store, so i couldn’t resist.

I’d be happy if it comes out half as nice looking as yours, becasue yours is really quite lovely.

-Jasmine

April 11, 2010 8:50 pm

Well I hope it went well! Do come back here and let me know what you thought. ~Mary

8. mel permalink
    August 1, 2010 11:32 pm

I work at a restaurant and one of our guests brought this cake for her sister’s birthday. All of the servers were eyeing this cake it looked soooo good. After we sung happy birthday I couldn’t help but ask for a piece. This is the best cake I have ever eaten. Thanks for sharing!

August 2, 2010 5:11 am

How sweet of you to say! Now you’ll have to get busy and make one for yourself 😉

9. megan permalink
    April 15, 2011 12:28 pm

I’m in the process of making this cake right now :)….I’ve baked the cakes and when I get back from work i’ll be doing the frosting, mousse and assembling!!!

But I had a question. Is it 1 1/2 ounces of gelatin or 1 1/2 packages? Because I bought a small box yesterday with four packages in it, but the box says one ounce so I’m kinda confused :/

Please let me know soon if you get this today. I would really love for this cake to come out as beautiful as yours 🙂

April 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Packages!
      So sorry! I hope I got to you in time. You’re going to love this cake, I need to make it again, it’s been too long. Enjoy Megan!

• Megan permalink
        April 15, 2011 10:06 pm

You caught me in time 🙂

’bout to run to the store for some more strawberries….seems that they’ve disappeared while i was away!! lol

I’ll let you know how everyone likes it!

1. Fruit Pizza «