Garlic Glazed Chicken Pizza

April 23, 2009

~ J.P. ~

I made this while Juan was visiting. We had been talking about wines and what to pair them with. He knows many good Spanish wines and has strong opinions. As we dug into this pizza, fresh from the oven, I told him I wasn’t sure which wine to pair with it. His mouth full, rapture on his face, he said “it doesn’t matter”.

JP

JP

If you really want to get fancy, make a beer cheese bread for the crust. Its hard to handle but elevates the experience.  This makes enough toppings for 2 large pizzas, and probably some chicken left over. It came to us via James McNair’s Pizza cookbook.

And, while it’s hard to resist, don’t overdo the chicken on the pizza – it loses the flavor balance and you regret it. I like a little more cheese, so add a little more.

Foodo added too much meat and after a couple pieces the flavor was too much!

Foodo didn't listen and added too much meat and after a couple pieces the flavor was too much!

If you’d like to see more pizzas go HERE.

Garlic Glazed Chicken Pizza

Makes Two 14″ Pizzas

1/4 cup sesame seeds

2 cups Shredded Gruyere Cheese

1 cup Shredded Mozzarella

1/4 cup chopped green onions

4 boned, skinned chicken breasts – 1/2″-1″ diced

About 3/4 cup vegetable oil (for cooking chicken)

Pizza Dough of choice – we use this one

2 heads garlic, coarsely chopped

2 teaspoons crushed, dried red pepper

1/2 cup soy sauce

5 Tbsp honey

1 1/2 cups rice wine vinegar

· Combine garlic, crushed red pepper, soy sauce, honey, and vinegar in a bowl.  Pour garlic mixture into skillet and reduce to consistency of syrup – do not overheat and burn it. This takes ~ 20 minutes.

· Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium high heat, and saute chicken until opaque on all sides (3 min). Remove, set aside.

· Place chicken in the pan with the garlic mixture to cook, stirring constantly, until pieces are lightly glazed. Remove from heat and reserve.

· Brush dough with vegetable oil then top each pizza with:

1/2 the glazed chicken – this can go on top or underneath the cheese.

1 Cup Greyer – shredded

1/2 Cup Mozzarella

· Bake at 450 degrees (10 -12 min)

· Toast sesame seeds over medium heat, black sesame seeds really add a lot of color.

· Remove pizza and brush edges with vegetable (or sesame) oil. Sprinkle each pizza with:

2 Tbsp sesame seeds

2 Tbsp Chopped Green Onions

Slice and serve.

1. April 23, 2009 4:40 pm

Chicken, garlic and green onion, it looks delicious. if you have a video, I would love to publish it on 1800njpizza.com

Looking forward to the next blog post…

2. foododelmundo permalink
    April 26, 2009 12:27 pm

JP ~
    I made this last night – DIVINE!
    Was going to grill them, but it was raining so I finally used the pizza brick thing Patty gave me some 15 or so years ago – it’s been a seat gap for a chair that’s missing its wicker bottom.
    The combination of the cheeses with the chicken was outstanding! Used black sesame seeds – which gave it a little more ‘pop’. Next time (there will be a next time SOON!) I’m going to paint the sauce on the crust and skip the chicken altogether.
    I posted the photo on flickr if you want to look. It’s not the greatest because it was dark and I had to use the damn flash.
    ~ Mary

3. April 30, 2009 10:43 pm

Glad you liked it. For the longest time, I almost felt like making other pizzas was a waste of time. I love the way the garlic sweetens, and if you save some chicken in the fridge, it packs a punch the next day.

4. Frank permalink
    May 30, 2009 11:04 am

I want to eat this pizza.

5. June 2, 2009 11:38 am

Is it bad to crave pizza this early in the morning? That sounds like it would make my tummy happy 🙂

6. June 9, 2009 7:42 pm

If there’s garlic, we want it. 2 whole bulbs!? Love it.

• June 10, 2009 7:51 am

That’s too funny – I’ve made it twice now and only used about 6 cloves (thinking I tripled the amount!) – shows you who’s reading! It still tasted wonderful – but next time it’s going to be 2 bulbs! About a 1/4 Cup minced don’t you think!?

7. June 16, 2009 4:18 am

This pizza had my mouth watering instantly!

8. June 19, 2009 11:42 pm

This looks awesome! I love pizza recipes that veer from the usual red sauce (not that it doesn’t have it’s place!).

9. Kristin permalink
    June 20, 2009 9:28 am

I am making this pizza tomorrow for Father’s Day!! I looks soooo good. Will post after tomorrow and let you know what the family thought. Everyone is excited to try it.

June 20, 2009 10:17 am

Can’t wait! I’ll send your message on to JP.
      Thanks Kristin!

10. Kristin permalink
    June 21, 2009 7:01 pm

The family loved the pizza!! I was asked for the recipe!!

June 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks Kristin! So glad everyone liked it AND that you reported back – I forwarded on to JP.
      Cheers!

11. June 28, 2009 5:37 pm

This looks delicious – Do you deliver? I will be trying it this week!

12. April 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Made this tonight for dinner and there was none left, that’s amore’!

13. Sue permalink
    June 24, 2013 5:05 pm

This pizza is awesome; everyone who has it says it’s some of the best they have ever had!

June 27, 2013 5:20 pm

So glad you came back to let us know Sue!

1. 8 Homemade Dishes in One Weekend | That Wife