Texas Chili

January 22, 2011

♫•*¨*♥•.¸¸ Put another log on the fire,… ♫•*¨*•.¸♥

¸.•*¨*•♪.¸Fix me up some bacon and some beans,… ♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♪

♥¸¸.•*¨*•♪.¸¸ Go out and fetch my slippers,… ♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♪

… ♫•*¨*♥•.¸Then come back and tell me why you’re leavin’ me … ♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥

~ An old campfire song

There’s nothing like home-grown steaks, roasts and hamburger! That’s what Kevin and Mindy bestowed upon us the last time we were home! HAPPY! LUCKY! HAPPY!!!   Every time I open the freezer I dream of what I should make and if it’s worthy enough of such a gift. Finally, I had to bite the bullet, I couldn’t just keep staring and dreaming. The first recipe I chose was this Texas Chili, isn’t it wonderful when your choices are superior?! This recipe was and IS so worthy.

I’ve heard Texans don’t serve their chili with beans of any kind. The chili is just chock full of meat with a lot of accouterments to top it off, including beans. I made it as they told me to, but after tucking into my first bowl and discovering what an ethereal experience it was, I knew I needed to make it last as long as possible and proceeded to “fix me up some beans,” pronto!
If you make this recipe, do yourself a favor and make A LOT!  If you can possibly hold off eating it for one day while the flavors get even richer, you’ll be happy, but if you can’t wait, at least you’ll have plenty for the next day or two to enjoy.

Texas Chili
Saute` in a large skillet until softened and start to brown:
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
4 Cups Onions chopped
Add and continue to saute` for another 8-10 minutes:
1-2 Cups Poblano Peppers, stemmed, seeded and diced
5-8 Garlic Cloves minced
1 tsp Kosher Salt or more to taste
While that’s working go ahead and brown your meat in a large 8-quart Dutch Oven.
2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil
4-5 lbs Boneless Beef Chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
Over medium-high heat sear until browned and crusty on two sides.
Work in batches so you don’t steam the meat. Leave the brown bits in the pan, add more oil if it seems it’s getting too brown and turn down your heat if it seems too hot.
Once seared, combine the meat and vegetables in the Dutch-oven and add:
2 Bay Leaves
2 Cinnamon Sticks
2 Tbsp Ancho Molido Chile Powder – this is important, I think it’s what made this dish sing! Do not substitute regular chile powder, or you will be disappointed!
Optional to also add (in addition to above!) 1 Tbsp Chipotle Chile Powder
1 Tbsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
Stir until the spices coat the meat and vegetables.
Slowly add:
1 Bottle Amber Ale Beer
1 1/2 Quarts Beef Broth
1/4 Cup Wondra or Flour if using flour, mix it in the beef broth before adding it to the chile.
Stir well and let simmer partially covered for 3 hours stirring occasionally. Discard Cinnamon sticks and bay leaves before serving.

Taste before serving and add more salt if necessary and if it’s not as thick as you’d like it either add more Wondra or take out some cubes of beef and shred them up.

Serve with assorted toppings:

Cilantro chopped

Red Onions diced

Shredded Cheese

Tomatoes diced

Sour Cream

Kidney Beans

1. January 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Oh my that sounds amazing!!!!! I used to spend a lot of time in Texas and this sounds like a chili we used to get at a local hole in the wall. I used get a giant potato smothered in chili with cheese and diced tomatoes. Where does one find that fancy sounding chili powder?

2. Katy permalink
    January 23, 2011 9:35 am

I’d like several bowls while I watch football today, please! Placing my order now so you can drive up in time to serve it to me for the first game. Ha!

3. January 24, 2011 7:44 pm

Love the spices and flavour. And that sneaky beer inclusion :)

4. January 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Nothing better than a hearty bowl of Texas Chili. Nice recipe.

We want to invite you to share it on Food Frenzy. It would be a great addition to the site. While there create your own blogger page to direct Food Frenzy visitors back to your blog site.

5. January 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Chock full of goodness!! Love the little ramekins.

6. January 24, 2011 11:32 pm

I have saved this recipe to try. The flavors sound amazing and I have never made a true Texas chili.

7. January 25, 2011 8:16 am

Wow this recipe is so full of flavour! Since it is so cold, chili is like a pefect recipe to cook all the time :)

8. January 25, 2011 10:21 am

That looks amazing, so many great ingredients!

9. January 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Oh goodness, this sounds delicious, flavorful, warm, comforting… I’m in love!
    And then there’s the photo….gorgeous!

10. February 6, 2011 11:04 am

Hubby’s favourite dish is chili with rice – he’s away for the weekend and guess what he’ll be coming home to?! Only problem is I think the ancho molido chile powder might be tough to find here in the English countryside – I’ll do my best to do justice to your recipe though, even if I do have skip or sub here and there!

11. Mike permalink
    January 4, 2012 11:50 pm

Yes, it’s true that many Texans say beans shouldn’t be in chili, but take it from this Texan…I’ll darn well fix my chili however I wanna fix it and don’t much care what anyone has to say about it, even my fellow Texans.

Found your cornbread recipe via my Foodgawker feed and am going to subscribe. Even though I get hundreds of posts w/ Foodgawker and hundreds more with my other recipe sites, there’s always room for one more (good) recipe website feed!

January 5, 2012 7:46 pm

You’re funny Mike!
      Thanks for subscribing and the laughs!
      ~ Mary