Ancho Maple Glazed Turkey with Roasted Garlic Gravy

November 18, 2010

Since we’ll be having smoked brisket for T-day again this year and I’ve been craving the most delicious turkey sandwich known to man, I figured I better get goin’ and cook me up a turkey.  This is the first time since the early 90′s that I’ve actually done a turkey in the oven.  Prior to this I’ve always injected and smoked my turkeys.

I hadn’t planned on doing anything fancy with this turkey until I landed, by pure coincidence, on this gorgeous Bobby Flay recipe in his Mesa Grill cookbook.  I’m glad I did!  The skin alone is like candy and the sage tucked under the skin gives the flavor such warmth.  Then to top it off there’s a wonderfully dark and rich gravy recipe.

Ancho Maple Glazed Turkey

Preheat oven to 450°

Remove giblets and neck from a

12-18 pound Turkey

Loosen the skin under the breast and legs and stuff in.

15 to 20 Whole Fresh Sage Leaves

Spread 2 Tbsp Melted Butter all over the bird and sprinkle with

Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper

Truss the bird or tuck the wing tips behind the full wing and either tie the legs or just stick the bottom tips under the flap of skin that used to hold the tail, provided the skin is still intact as you can see in the photo below:

Place on a roasting rack in a roasting pan.  Roast and baste with some additional melted butter every 10 minutes or until the skin is browned.

Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and continue to roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 155°.

While the bird is roasting you need to roast a whole bulb of garlic for the gravy by chopping off the top portion of the bulb, drizzle with oil then wrap in foil and pop in the oven for 20-30 minutes.

Once the bird has reached 155°, continue to roast and brush with the glaze (recipe below) every 5 minutes or until the temp reaches 165°.  About 20-30 minutes.

Glaze

Whisk to combine:

3 Tbsp  Ancho Chili Powder – No, regular chili powder will not work.

2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard

1 1/2 Cups Maple Syrup – the real deal!

Once the bird reaches 165° take it out of the oven, place it on a cutting board and tent it with foil so it can rest and you can make your gravy.

Roasted Garlic Gravy

Place the roasting pan, with all the drippings,  over two burners.  Turn on high and bring the drippings to a simmer and add:

Chopped giblets (excluding the neck and liver).

1 Cup Diced Onion

1 Cup Diced Carrots

1 Cup Diced Celery

Saute until golden brown then add:

3 Tbsp Flour and whisk in until it too is golden brown, about 3 minutes, then add:

1 Cup Dry White Wine

5 Cups Chicken Stock

Remove garlic cloves from bulb and smash into a paste then add to gravy.

Bring the gravy to a rolling boil and reduce by half.  This could take 20-30 minutes.

Season with Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper

Strain and serve.

November 18, 2010 11:41 am

mmmmmmmmm…..turkey….I can hardly wait for Thanksgiving!
    Yours looks glorious! You placed those sage leaves so perfectly and roasted it to perfection!!!

P. S. Why do you always have brisket on Turkey-day?

November 18, 2010 11:55 am

Not always, we’re headed to Indiana and Shawn did a most excellent smoked brisket last year, so excellent that we’ve (mostly me) all been craving it for a year.
      Happy T-day Patty!
      Love,
      Your darling daughter ;-)

2. November 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Wow! The way you have prepared the turkey looks brilliant. We have the family tradition here in Germany to prepare goose on christmas. Your recipe for turkey seems to be a great alternative. How did you get the skin so crunchy?
    Thank you!

November 18, 2010 5:36 pm

Butter and hot temp = crunchy skin.

We used to do a Christmas goose too. We used to raise and butcher 100 geese every year, sad to say, none of us were fond of butchering geese in cold weather. To this day the fabric softener Downy reminds me of plucking geese feathers in a cold shed and complaining every minute of the way. You see, geese are terribly difficult to pluck and the Downy was used in the boiling water to soften the skin and make the process easier, HA! Then on top of it Patty made us sort the goose down from the feathers so she could make us coats. Thanks for bringing back my nightmares a-man :D

3. November 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Ooooohhh that turkey looks so good Mary. And Ancho chili in the glaze sounds really interesting…. I need to broaden my turkey experiences!

4. November 18, 2010 8:52 pm

That is one tasty looking bird! It looks like your a roasting pro! Now you have turkey for delicious sandwiches all week long, jealous.

5. November 19, 2010 5:40 am

This sounds completely dreamy! I’m totally jeals that you have brisket on Thanksgiving, that sounds awesome!

6. November 19, 2010 9:14 am

Fabulous glaze….the flavor must be amazing.

7. Carla permalink
    November 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Now that’s a good looking turkey! Methinks I want a bite…

8. Ebby permalink
    December 21, 2010 8:45 am

This was excellent! Look great, even greater flavor! Also, excellent leftover…quickly gone. Definitely a keeper!

Thank you so much!

Ebby

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

December 21, 2010 10:46 am

So glad you liked it. Thank you for letting me know!
      Cheers,