Snert

November 3, 2010
……..

After such a great string of weather, this week has been a rude awakening as to what’s reality, and what’s in store these next several months. It’s time to hunker down and no better way than with a bowl of soup.

Last year there was a cute article in the Chicago Tribune about how, as a little girl, this author traveled to in-laws on the East Coast and was served a fancier Dutch version of Split Pea Soup called Snert and it “…cemented a fondness for “fancy” food forever.”

I’ve never, ever been a big fan of Split Pea Soup, but the story and this recipe changed my mind, and I hope it will do the same for you.  Last year I had sausage on-hand , this time around I did not, but wished I had.  Sausage, after all, makes everything better!

Snert

Take the Bone from a Smoked Ham that you’ve devoured.  Smoked Turkey Legs work just as well.  Put it in a large soup pot and cover with chicken broth.  Add some rough cut carrots, celery and onions.  Simmer the hell out of it for a few hours.  Strain the broth.  Cool the carcass or bone and peel off any meat.  Discard all the other stuff.

Place broth and meat back into soup pot and add:

1 lb cleaned dried Split Peas

More chicken stock to bring the broth up to 2 quarts

2 Chopped Carrots

2-3 Cups Celery Root Cubed Rutabaga works too

1 Large Onion Chopped

4-6 Stalks Celery Chopped

1 lb Sausage sliced

Handful Chopped Fresh Parsley

1 tbsp Dried Tarragon

Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Clean and slice 3-4 Leeks and saute in a little butter until limp then add to pot.

Allow soup to simmer gently until beans are cooked through and have started to thicken the broth.  You can actually leave this soup go for a few hours if you wish.

Just before removing from heat add:

2 tsp Liquid Smoke

When ready to serve fill each bowl with cleaned chopped

Fresh Spinach

Ladle soup over spinach which will cook it slightly.  Serve with a rustic bread and some awesome butter.

1. November 3, 2010 8:58 am

Oh wow this looks really homey and comforting. I think my family will really love this dish.

November 3, 2010 10:43 am

Snert will be my new Split Pea Soup recipe! It looks…and sounds….wonderful!

November 3, 2010 11:05 am

I knew you’d like it, you’re the Split Pea Soup Queen!
      ~Mary

3. November 4, 2010 2:35 am

OMG Mary this looks fabulous! Dad and I both like pea soup but the rest of the family not so much. Maybe the weather will soon allow for soup…. Been so wanting to cook up a pot!

4. November 4, 2010 10:11 am

Ha – love this post! Split pea soup is one soup my husband absolutely loves. I deemed it unedible, even though I never tasted it, because it always looked like baby barf. I made it the other day, and I love it – I made it with smoked ham, but sausage would make it better.

Have a great day Mary!

5. November 4, 2010 2:41 pm

The flavor and presentation aside…I’d eat it for the name!

6. November 4, 2010 4:33 pm

Split pea soup is my absolute favorite soup in the world. We called it ooblek in our house.

7. November 4, 2010 9:37 pm

Snert looks gorgeous! Had no idea what I was clicking on, but this looks so tasty and beautiful. Love those bowls, too.

8. November 5, 2010 3:58 am

wow, i have never heard of snert and i live in Amsterdam! Must ask my dutch colleagues about this one..

9. November 5, 2010 5:10 pm

Snert!? Really? Never heard that name before! But you caught my eye and wow, snert looks good. It looks filling and healthy. The kind of soup you feel good eating.

10. November 6, 2010 2:43 pm

What a wonderful and unusual soup recipe. Sounds just so inviting and yummy….I am a soup nut. Especially in the fall and winter. Thanks for sharing and your pictures are terrific too.

November 6, 2010 4:24 pm

Thank YOU Diane!

11. November 8, 2010 1:49 pm

Looks beautiful. Where did you get those plates/bowls?! Awesome.

November 8, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks Jenna! I made them when I used to be an avid potter.