Blue Corn Muffins with Dulce de Leche

September 8, 2010

………. ……..

One of my favorite cakes is the Blue Cornmeal Cake.  I wanted it’s goodness, but didn’t want the whole cake staring me down.  I also wouldn’t be able to bear throwing out whatever was left on Sunday night; a tradition we’ve had  with anything sweet.  We like to start the weeks out on a clean slate and go downhill from there.

I’m in the camp that believes where there’s a will, there’s a way!  I set out to accomplish my desires and came up with a cross between this corn muffin and the Blue Cornmeal Cake and VOILA – SUCCESS!!

One confession, I did add blue food coloring, obviously too much as they look almost neon.  Oh well, I figured if John went to the trouble of bringing me home blue cornmeal from New Mexico, I had to make sure he noticed that I was using it.  For some of us, if it’s not smack-dab in our face, we might miss it ;-)

Just so you know, yellow cornmeal will yeild the same delicious results.

Blue Corn Muffins with Dulce de Leche

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside:

1 Cup All-Purpose Flour

1 Cup Blue Cornmeal

1/2 tsp Salt

1 Tbsp Baking Powder

1/2-3/4 tsp Arbol Chili – or cayenne

2 tsp Cinnamon

Combine wet ingredients

1 Cup Buttermilk

2 Eggs

1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

1/3 Cup Melted Butter

Drop Blue Food Coloring – optional

Combine wet and dry ingredients.  Do not over-mix.  Portion into muffin cups.

Sprinkle with Sugar in the Raw

Bake 20-25 minutes at 400º

Let cool completely then top with

Dulce de Leche

September 8, 2010 3:18 pm

They look delicious! I LOVE corn muffins!
    Do you have a recipe for Dulce de Leche?

September 8, 2010 4:50 pm

I use the store bought kind and use a can opener. Nestle’ brand you can see a photo of it if you CLICK HERE. It’s dangerous though, John eats it straight from the can. I, on the other hand, would never do such a thing! Hahahahahohohohohehehe

• Pat permalink
        September 8, 2010 8:13 pm

…because you’re a L A D Y…..right??? Riiiiight!!!
        Thanks for the link….honestly, I don’t remember that post!!!
        It looks as good as this one!!! Woo-hoo!!!

September 8, 2010 10:29 pm

You don’t remember it because last year we were posting a mile a minute. I’ve slowed my roll, better for you to remember my dear.

• Pat permalink
            September 8, 2010 10:58 pm

Thank you, Mary!

2. September 8, 2010 6:43 pm

Just beautiful. I love the muffin cups. I have been dying to make a sweet corn ice cream… might make a good pairing… or maybe too much corn goodness. Thanks for sharing.

September 8, 2010 10:30 pm

You can NEVER have too much corn goodness, and this is the time of the year to go all out, so let’s have it!

3. September 8, 2010 7:25 pm

Love the combination of cornbread with dulce de leche. My step-son decided to make dulce de leche for a Spanish class food tasting event. He stood at the stove stirring for a good two hours. Not what he was expecting for a homework project. Hee, hee. So I like your short-cut idea of purchasing ready-to-eat dulce de leche, and I’m pretty sure my step-son would vouch for that approach as well.

September 8, 2010 9:42 pm

What a great story Liz! It’s always fun to see/experience home cooking through the eyes of a youngin’.

4. September 8, 2010 8:49 pm

These look delicious…and definitely blue :) Love the dulce de leche addition!

5. September 8, 2010 9:42 pm

I love it. I really love the cupcake holders too. Haven’t ever seen anything quite so unique.

6. September 8, 2010 11:34 pm

What a great complement to blue corn. I LOVE the colors!!

7. September 9, 2010 12:09 pm

These are fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing! I love the paper you have them in

8. magicofspice permalink
    September 9, 2010 6:25 pm

Love these…wow blue corn meal how great is that :) A little extra blue never hurts :)

9. September 10, 2010 10:30 am

Beautiful muffins!!!

10. September 12, 2010 5:45 pm

Totally intrigues me and sucks me in – you love the blue corn and I llve the dulce de leche. And you know I’ve always wanted glow-in-the-dark muffins…