Perfect Iced Coffee

August 11, 2010

Aaaahhh summer!  We are back in its suffocating grip, when the only thing that brings comfort is something cold.  I mostly like the A/C and get fussy when John suggests we go somewhere.  That means I have to actually go outside and experience the misery.  It’s kind of funny because I used to WORSHIP the sun……….you can laugh now.

Here’s a recipe for iced coffee that’s PERFECT in every way.  I’ve been making it like this for years and finally decided to share it so you can experience the bliss as well.

Brew a FULL pot of coffee.  Next comes the KEY to making it perfect.  Are you ready?

Fill a couple of ice cube trays with coffee.  Then freeze.  This is so important for full flavored iced coffee and not some watered down half baked attempt!

Leave the rest of the pot of coffee on counter to cool then store in fridge.

When you’re ready,  fill a glass with your coffee ice cubes.

Pour 2/3 rds full with coffee and the rest with milk of your choice.

Pour in your milk or cream of choice.

Put in sweetner of choice – it usually takes double the amount you use, only because you’re probably using a larger glass than your normal coffee mug.

Give it a good stir.

If you’re feeling sassy put in a straw and ENJOY!

I will usually make another  pot of coffee in the morning, because it’s what I always do in the morning, that way I’m ready to go the next day.  This is helpful too in that your coffee is already cool and won’t melt your ice cubes as quickly.

one year ago: Papaya Mango Salsa Salad,  Greek Salad 3 Ways, Watermelon Salsa Salad

1. August 11, 2010 10:16 am

Freezing coffee and using the coffee ice cubes is a terrific idea!

August 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Great idea!! My iced coffee always tastes wimpy and watered down because I pour hot coffee on ice cubes made from water. I’ll try it your way. Thanks for sharing, Mary!

3. August 13, 2010 10:07 am

Being a coffee lover I think you posted this one just for me Mary. Great idea and beautiful shot too!

4. Foodlvr permalink
    August 13, 2010 10:07 am

Also I make ice cubes with leftover coffee – all the time. I put them in coffee instead of plain ice cubes.

5. August 13, 2010 10:56 am

Brilliant, unless you want the iced coffe NOW lol. So great if planned ahead…yumm

• MRS. OLSON permalink
      August 18, 2010 8:31 am

Ha ha iced coffee NOW. Yea if Ur gonna make the cubes u mid-as -well stick the frigging pot o coffee in there with em. Curl Ur-self up into ball and you also go into freezer with cubes, coffee, and some sugar and cool this whole hot mess of a summer down for all of us.

6. August 13, 2010 12:53 pm

How awesome! I love this

7. August 13, 2010 3:05 pm

What a great idea having coffee ice cubes. I’ve never seen that before.

8. August 13, 2010 4:45 pm

This is great. Thanks so much! My hubby loves iced coffee for the summer. I will try this at home.

9. August 13, 2010 4:51 pm

That is really clever…I just never thought of using coffee to make the ice cubes. I could really use one of these right now!

10. Emma permalink
    August 13, 2010 7:17 pm

This is a great post Mary,I love it! Not that dont love all your other posts! I think it is awesome how you make the icecubes out of coffee! Also I love how you are now doing the step by step pictures!

August 14, 2010 9:42 am

Thank you Emma! The photos are a way to “beef” up an otherwise minuscule post ;-)
      I didn’t realize you were an iced coffee drinker, I thought you left that job for Sean & Wanda!
      ~Mary

11. August 14, 2010 8:48 am

Oooooh, I’d not made the coffee ice cubes before. What an awesome idea. I love iced coffee (especially with a splash of kaluha in it). Thanks for the beautiful post.

August 14, 2010 9:43 am

Kahlua, now that’s just naughty! :-D

12. August 14, 2010 10:13 am

Okay, I am going to make this right now. If I freeze the ice cubes now, they’ll be ready for a little coffee break this afternoon. I’m salivating.

13. August 14, 2010 11:02 am

I make it the same ways lovely steps and pictures

14. Rayne permalink
    August 15, 2010 11:27 pm

The coffee ice cubes is brilliant. I would have never thought of it. I’m going to try this out soon.

15. Greg permalink
    August 16, 2010 12:00 am

Should start with cold brewed coffee. Cold brew will give you less acidic taste and more caffeine. Lots better, I promise.

16. ms les permalink
    August 16, 2010 10:06 am

Wonderful idea! Taking it one step further….after you fill the ice cube pans, sweeten the coffee in the pot. The sweetner will disolve easier and more quickly. Make it a bit sweet so when the cubes and milk are added, you have the correct sweetness.

17. Dane Lewis permalink
    August 16, 2010 12:39 pm

On that note any cheep white wine (Charmaine in particular) is dramatically improved by orange juice ice cubes.

18. abi permalink
    August 16, 2010 10:11 pm

McDonald’s does it right!

19. Sean permalink
    August 20, 2010 12:13 am

If you didn’t prepare the iced coffee cubes ahead of time you just use 1/2 the water or 2 times the normal amount of coffee (double strength) and serve over ice. I would suggest Starbucks Gazebo Summer Blend as it was created specifically for use as an iced coffee. Follow the directions on the bag – 1 cup ground coffee to 3 cups water.

In a hurry? Try Starbucks Iced VIA!

20. tungk permalink
    August 20, 2010 9:18 pm

I have to say, I’ve been doing this myself since I was 21 and am now 41. I haven’t made if for a long long time. So nice to discover this again and remind me what I should be making.

21. Tom permalink
    August 30, 2010 1:40 pm

I have to agree with Greg…cold brewed coffee will give you a MUCH better end product! It’s much less acidic than hot-brewed coffee and, in my opinion, much more flavorful.

22. August 30, 2010 1:53 pm

brilliant! simple yet very effective. i’ll try this very very soon! thanks for sharing :-)

23. August 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Awesome idea, I’m definitely making coffee ice cubes! I love that picture where you’re pouring in the milk – it looks really neat in the glass with all those swirls!

24. September 5, 2010 3:10 pm

I`d like such a great coffee :)

25. June 25, 2011 7:09 am

I’m going to spread the gospel that is this awesome trick.

26. July 30, 2011 2:00 am

This is clever, sure, but you guys, man, if you like like iced coffee you have to try cold-brewing. It is amazing.

27. April 16, 2012 8:05 am

Mmm, looks so good :) I need to try the coffee ice cubes, I always feel like the ice thins out my coffee!

28. Arabiancoffees permalink
    July 23, 2012 7:25 am

Genius. [no need to say more]

29. August 28, 2012 6:44 am

i wud love to have such a coffee!!!!!!!!!

30. October 8, 2012 10:43 am

Coffee Ice cubes are great! thanks for blogging this one!

31. Adriana permalink
    August 10, 2013 10:26 am

Deve ser maravilhoso,e
    com a receita irei provar. Parabéns pela idéia.

1. Tweets that mention Perfect Iced Coffee « -- Topsy.com
  2. Perfect Iced Coffee si fasole verde la tigaie :D | Jurnalul Anei
  3. Twitted by coffeetag
  4. Iced Coffee | The Sweetest Kitchen
  5. 30 Maravilhosas maneiras de uso para Bandeja de Gelo | SOS Solteiros
  6. DICAS : 30 Maravilhosas maneiras de uso para Bandeja de Gelo | Dona de Casa Perfeita
  7. 11 Brilliant Uses For An Ice Cube Tray - Factaholics
  8. 40 Clever and Creative Ways to Use an Ice Cube Tray - DIY & Crafts
  9. Resourceful Ways to use Ice Cube Trays in your Paleo KitchenPaleo Eats And Treats