Grilled Scamorza

August 8, 2010

This puts grilled cheese on a whole new level.  Mario Batali is here to tell us that we should not be afraid  of  taking a large piece of cheese and grilling it until soft.  I believed him, I went for it and I almost failed.  He promised if I put it on the hottest part of a well oiled grate that it wouldn’t melt all over the place.

Well, it did but I saved it before it all went down into the abyss.  Next time I’ll turn my grill down.

Here’s more on Scamorza Cheese from Wikipedia.

one year ago: Smoke House Ribs,  German Chocolate Cake

Grilled Scamorza

from Mario Batali’s Italian Grill

Cut an 8-12 ounce piece of scamorza lengthwise and rub with olive oil.

Rub your grill grate generously with oil.

Place the scamorza cut side down and grill just until it starts to soften, about 1-2 minutes.  Carefully turn it over and do the same to the other side.

Serve on a platter sprinkled with slivers of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped marjoram, green onion and a sprinkle of olive oil.

1. Marilyn permalink
    August 8, 2010 12:33 pm

Sounds and looks delicious but not familiar with the cheese, could you tell us about it?

August 8, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks Marilyn, I’d never heard of it before this recipe either. I just added a link in the post.

2. August 10, 2010 8:19 am

Looks nommy!

3. August 10, 2010 11:32 am

Grilled cheese – wow, I am officially hungry now. Several months ago, I breaded and pan-fried brie cheese, which I immediately fell in love with. This recipe might rival that.

4. August 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Simply delicious

5. August 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks for teaching me about scarmoza cheese. Need to look for it. The recipe sounds delightful!

6. foodlvr permalink
    August 10, 2010 9:49 pm

I have this book and it is amazing. I haven’t made this recipe but I have grilled Haloumi cheese (from Nigella Lawson’s recipe) so I can imagine how good this is. It looks so good.

Have you tried the recipe for pizza crust in this book? The one with the wine in it? Awesome.

August 11, 2010 6:53 am

No, on the pizza crust, but now that you’ve recommended it, I will!

7. August 11, 2010 8:46 am

I’m glad you were able to save the cheese. It always makes me smile when someone says that if you put something that melts on something hot it won’t melt. Like physics suddenly takes a hiatus.

8. August 17, 2010 11:43 am

Oh my gosh does this sound delicious. Our family are fans of scarmoza which we buy often at our local latticini. We will definitely be trying this.

Thanks for sharing.

9. September 2, 2010 12:10 am

I would believe Mario Batali too! Although I have not heard or tried this Scamorza cheese, I am going to look for it. I am usually bad at grilling cheese so I am bit scared how it will turn out but your picture and Mario on TV will be my guide. Wish me luck!.

10. Frank P Wyler permalink
    September 12, 2010 8:14 am

I tried Raichlen’s grillen provolone a couple of months ago. He also said it wouldn’t melt through the grate…

WRONG!

Cheese makes quite a fire on a grill.

THe next time I put it on some aluminum foil with holes in it and grilled it that way. Worked much better.

September 12, 2010 4:47 pm

Hahaha..read the comment from The Mom Chef above about physics taking a hiatus.