Pan Bread with Grilled Red Onions

July 28, 2010

Usually my aversion to cooking anything doesn’t hit me so early in the season.  It just gets too dang hot to even contemplate turning on the stove and lately its even too hot to stand outside in front of a hot grill.  But I’m oh so grateful to have one!

I’m not sure if I ever mentioned that I used to have a tiny hibatchi that constituted as my grill.  It’s SO sad, but so true.  I guess at that time John didn’t understand the glory of the grill and I had some convincing to do.  Thank the maker I succeeded AND that he got me a top of the line, cast iron, destruction proof wonder that’s going on ten.

Turn grill to LOW - don't burn the bread, but don't under cook it either

Sounds rather strange – an Onion Sandwich – doesn’t it?  Well it is if you don’t like onions.  Not so strange if you’re as crazy about them as I am.

one year ago: Zucchini Cakes without the oil, Darryl’s Classic Cheesecake

Pan Bread with Grilled Red Onion

Another winner from Francis Mallmann’s Seven Fires

Onions

Combine these ingredients and toss to coat evenly:

4 Large Red Onions sliced

1/4 Cup Olive Oil

2 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary or more to taste

Kosher Salt

Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Grill over medium-high heat on a perforated grill topper or cast iron skillet  until well browned.

Pan Bread

Combine in a heavy-duty mixer bowl with the paddle attachment:

4 Cups All-purpose Flour

1 Tbsp Kosher Salt

1 Package Dry Yeast

mix on low-speed.

Gradually add:

1 Tbsp Olive Oil

1 1/4 Cups Warm Water – may need more or less depending on humidity.

Continue to mix on low-speed until the dough comes together.

Switch to a dough hook and knead on medium speed for 5 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.

Transfer to the counter.

Knead lightly.

Place in large floured bowl, cover with damp cloth, and let rise for 45 min. to an hour until doubled in size.

Roll out dough into a rectangle 6″x12″ and cut into roughly 3″ squares.  Place on floured baking sheet, cover and let rise again until nearly doubled in size.

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat on the grill and cook until puffed and brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes.  Flip and brown on the other side.

Slice open and serve filled with grilled onions.

1. July 28, 2010 10:49 am

Wow… the pan bread looks so amazing! The recipe and technique are so incredibly clever! I have to try this wonderful bread.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Tes

2. July 28, 2010 6:41 pm

I am going to have to copy this :) Yummy!

3. July 28, 2010 6:53 pm

I can’t believe you posted this!

I was just looking at this recipe last night. No joke. Flipping through “Seven Fires.” I wasn’t sure about making the bread, but you’ve convinced me.

4. July 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Looks great! This I’ll have to try!

5. July 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Ohhh I like the idea of pan bread–sometimes I want fresh bread but have no desire to turn on the oven. Saving this for one of those days. Thanks!

6. July 28, 2010 10:00 pm

Looks and sounds delicious

7. July 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Oh, the bread looks amazing! Fantastic photos!

8. July 28, 2010 10:19 pm

Great looking sandwich – the bread looks wonderful. I like it just the way you’ve prepared it, I might just add a toss of basil or oregano. :)

9. July 29, 2010 6:29 pm

hey Mary, I’m right there with ya – love onions though grilled sweet ones would be my on my grill

10. July 29, 2010 9:06 pm

LOVE the pan bread!!! But oh my, and onion sandwich?!?! Thank you Lord!!!

11. July 30, 2010 9:44 am

I love onions…this looks phenomenal. I also love the idea of grilling bread. Always a winner. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

12. July 30, 2010 8:59 pm

heavenly! Have you ever tried putting herbs or cheese into the bread? This looks like something I’d make – and I’m not terribly fond of baking :-)

13. foodlvr permalink
    August 6, 2010 9:03 pm

This looks so good. I have to have some! I am the griller in this house. We have an older Weber grill – I have a chimney starter and I go out about 5-10 times per summer (too much work to do it every day) to the grill and cook. I love to cook unusual things on the grill too so this fits the bill. Thanks for the inspiration.

August 7, 2010 8:16 am

That’s a LOT of cookin’ and grillin’ foodlvr! I think you should start documenting your escapades in a blog so that I might partake in some of the deliciousness ;-)

14. January 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Wow- Never crossed my mind to make an onion sandwich! Thanks for the recipe!

1. L’hebdo du pain // Weekly Bread (n°5, 13 septembre 2010) – VOTRE PAIN