BBC BOMB Burger

June 27, 2010

June is Burger Extravaganza Month here at Foodo.
You can also check out all of our burgers HERE

Brown Butter Cherry Bomb Burger.  SUBLIME!   Dried cherries ARE the BOMB when paired with a little red wine and Blue Cheese!  Not to worry if you can’t locate any dried cherries, craisins will work just as well.  Nothing too intricate here, just a straight up, straight forward melding of flavors.

I had to make this one when John was out of town because he doesn’t like Blue Cheese or nuts in/on/around his food.  I know, poor boy!  Be careful with these, those little pieces of fruit stick to the grill.  Be sure to get that grill nice and HOT when you lay those burgers on the grate to get a good sear so they won’t stick.  Then turn your temperature down.  Don’t forget to serve them with extra crispy, baked Sweet Potato Fries.

one year ago: Blueberry Corn MuffinsFunky Buddha Chicken,

BBC BOMB Burger

In a 1 Cup liquid measuring cup :

1 Cup Dried Cherries or Craisins

pour over

Red Wine of choice until covered completely

Let soak until nice and plump – over-night is great, but if you’re in a hurry you can heat them up over low heat, but be sure they’ve cooled COMPLETELY before mixing them with the beef.

Over low heat, in small sauce or frying pan brown

1/2 Cup Butter

once it gets a light brown add:

1 Cup whole Pecans

fry until pecans are toasted – about 5 min

Spoon out pecans, set aside, leaving butter in pan saute

2-4 Tbsp minced Garlic

remove from heat before they turn color.

Cool

In small bowl mix together

1/2 Cup Mascarpone Cheese

1/2 Cup Crumbled Blue Cheese

you can make this combination to your own taste.  Set aside.

In large Mixing bowl without over-working it combine:

2 pounds Angus 80/20 Ground Beef (not lean – you need the fat!)

Cherries with the wine

Minced Garlic

S&P to taste

Make into six equal patties.

Grill to desired doneness.  At the risk of repeating myself: Be careful with these , those little pieces of fruit stick to the grill.  Be sure to get that grill nice and HOT when you lay those burger on the grate to get a good sear so they won’t stick.  Then turn your temperature down.

Toast your buns on the grill – I used pretzel buns, but any nice bun will work well.

Place finished burger on bun and top with

Blue Cheese mix

Brown Buttered Pecans

If you’d like you can also spread the cheese mix on the bun and place the pecans, so they stick real well, before the burgers are done like above photo with the lid on.

June 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Now that’s a burger!! We’ll give these a try.

2. June 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Awesome! Those buns are beautiful. :)

3. June 27, 2010 8:32 pm

I’m in love with the sauce. What a great way to kick up a burger.

4. June 27, 2010 10:06 pm

Interesting way to prepare and present. Never would have thought!

5. June 27, 2010 10:17 pm

I love all the ingredients that you have in that burger. YUMMO!

6. June 28, 2010 6:07 am

wow these just keep getting better and better pecans and cherry fabulous!

7. June 28, 2010 6:38 am

love the cherries in there! i’ll have to try that soon. another great creative burger post!

8. June 28, 2010 7:49 am

All I had to read was pour red wine over cherries and I was sold.

9. June 28, 2010 9:16 am

Love the cheese, love cherry burger, and love the look of that bun, where do you get pretzel buns?

10. June 28, 2010 9:35 am

it’s very interesting,a great way to make a burger!

11. June 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Oh. My. Goodness.

:O

Looks out of this world. Transporter please, destination: your house.

12. June 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Wow! What a wild combination. I can see how it would work, but I am sure it would take me a lot to come up with it.

Jason

13. June 28, 2010 7:38 pm

now I just knew this was gonna be a turkey burger when I first started reading – but noooooo – great, just great…..

14. June 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Holy…!! WOW! That IS da bomb. =)

15. June 29, 2010 12:46 am

That has got to be the most radical burger I’ve ever seen!! I love the look of those pretzel buns – I actually thought they were little brioche at first! Magnificent!

16. July 1, 2010 9:36 pm

Love those buns…Great looking burger!

17. Former burger snob permalink
    July 3, 2010 8:49 am

After pondering this recipe we finally endeavored to devour it. It was shockingly wonderful, both in it’s simplicity and flavor aspect! We couldn’t find mascarpone cheese so we substituted honey-nut cream cheese instead. WOW!

July 3, 2010 10:41 am

HAPPY!!!!
      SO glad you let us know!
      ~Mary

18. July 3, 2010 9:33 am

Tried these last night for the first time – fantastic! I couldn’t believe how well the pecans added to the flavor. It would have been easy to skip them but they add so much.

After trying this (and the Curry Burger last week) I don’t think we can go back to plain hamburgers.

July 3, 2010 12:14 pm

Woo-Hoo! John has no idea what he’s missing!
      ~Mary

19. Dionne Baldwin permalink
    July 13, 2010 6:33 pm

This looks amazing as well. Never would have put nuts on something like that but it looks amazing. Wow.

20. Donna permalink
    July 15, 2010 7:50 am

Wow! That’s a burger! It’s looks delish, can’t wait to try it. Found you via foodgawker and adding your site to my favs. Thanks!

21. July 15, 2010 9:29 am

I’ve never heard of a burger like this before, but it looks fabulous! The cherry/pecan/bleu cheese combo sounds out of this world!

22. August 10, 2010 11:53 pm

Wow, I have not had burger with blue cheese and cranberry-raisin or dried cherries, so this is cool, the pictures are yummy! Pecan too, wow. Too bad John does not like it.

23. August 11, 2010 8:03 am

I just found this via Tastespotting and love it! I mixed craisins into turkey burgers once for a Thanksgiving burger but this seriously amplifies that idea and makes it infinitely better!

24. August 11, 2010 2:47 pm

Oh yeah, you had me at brown butter! This looks crazy good!

25. Foodlvr permalink
    August 27, 2010 10:46 am

What an interesting combination of flavors. I love blue cheese and fruit together but in a burger? Not sure. Sounds and looks amazing though.