Curry Burger

June 21, 2010

June is Burger Extravaganza Month here at Foodo.
You can also check out all of our burgers HERE

This little number has been in our repertoire for a number of years. It’s another burger that had to be copy-cated. Katy, John and I met at the Highland Grill, years ago, for brunch, and this is what John ordered. I gave him a hassle because it sounded so boring. Boy oh boy was I WRONG!   You see, John has this knack for ALWAYS ordering the BEST meal on ANY menu and he’s such a doll he usually lets me trade with him. It finally got to the point where I just asked him to order his top two choices. I’ve been a winner ever since ;-)

one year ago: Bacon, Pesto and Tomato Strata,  Worth the Wait Turkey

Curry Burger

Place 2 Pounds Ground Turkey in large mixing bowl and add:

½ Cup Diced Red Onion

1 Tbsp Minced Garlic

2 Tbsp Curry Powder

2 Tbsp Peanut Butter

½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes

¼ Cup Parsley

¼ Cup Coconut Flakes

1 tsp Kosher Salt

Mix well with your hands.

Divide into 4 to 6 equal parts and make into patties.

You can cook these several ways: broiler, grill, oven or skillet.

Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side.  Put a slice of  Pepper jack Cheese on just 1-2 minutes prior to completion so it will melt nicely.

Serve on a bun topped with thinly sliced Red Onion, Chopped Cilantro and Sauce:

Make Sauce by mixing together:

¼ Cup Mayo

¼ Cup Plain Yogurt – you can use all yogurt and no mayo

1-2 Tbsp Chopped Cilantro

1 Tbsp Honey

½ tsp Kosher Salt

1. June 21, 2010 8:11 am

This looks really good – a bit of a twist on the standard burger. Might just have to give this a try.

2. June 21, 2010 9:09 am

The burger looks stunning. The recipe sounds simple and delicious. I will make this in the afternoon when it’s rain. Thanks for sharing.

3. June 21, 2010 10:05 am

I would have never thought a curry burger would be good but I believe you and now I have an itch to try it! mmmmmm

4. June 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Wow, this sounds awesome. I’ll admit to being a little skeptical of the coconut (not sure I want a sweet flavor literally in my burger) but that sauce sounds incredible.

5. June 21, 2010 8:32 pm

I would have never thought to do this! I wonder how it would be with lamb instead of turkey- I bet pretty good. I might give that a shot and get back to you with impressions :)

6. June 21, 2010 8:38 pm

And it’s made with turkey – this just gets better and better. The list of ingredients do combine to make me say this is a winner and I will bookmark it. This really flavors the turkey!

7. June 21, 2010 8:56 pm

This sounds amazing!! Reading the ingredients sounds so interesting. Peanut Butter? oh yes…I have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

8. June 21, 2010 8:57 pm

The peanut butter is what is getting me. I have done Indian style burgers before, but nothing with PB. Worth a try for sure!

Jason

9. June 21, 2010 9:10 pm

I swear, I always gain 5 pounds when I come read your posts. The burgers look so scrumptious that I can’t stop drooling. This is definitely another keeper. I love June being burger month!

10. June 21, 2010 9:26 pm

As soon as I saw the title of this post, I pretty much rushed right over. Curry, coconut and peanut butter in a burger? It sounds just crazy enough to be delicious!

11. June 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Wow! That sounds amazing. We try to “spice up” burgers regularly–this sounds like a great addition to the menu!

12. June 21, 2010 10:21 pm

I had to bookmark this right away. I’ve never made a curry burger before but this sounds sooo good! I bet my husband will love this too. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Your picture is beautiful!!!!

13. June 22, 2010 12:03 am

Very interesting that you added coconut to the burger… I’m sure it added great flavor to the whole thing!

14. June 22, 2010 12:27 am

curry burger. I like the ring to it.

15. June 22, 2010 7:06 am

Oh, hello! Nice way to jazz up the grill.

16. June 22, 2010 8:29 am

Wow! It sounded good when I read the title, but the ingredient list is over the top! How unique. I bet it tastes awesome!
    LL

17. June 22, 2010 9:41 am

OMG!!! This burger is extremely good looking. The taste must be outstanding!!!!!

18. Katy permalink
    June 22, 2010 11:25 am

I’m making these for lunch today. They’re on the grill as I post!

June 22, 2010 11:38 am

Oh shoot, and I cancelled going to your house for lunch today….big mistake! This burger sounds delicious! Nice picture, too!

• Katy permalink
      June 22, 2010 12:22 pm

They were delicious! I’ll be making them again soon.

June 22, 2010 3:32 pm

So glad you liked them! So glad you could eat them!
        ~Mary

20. June 22, 2010 2:51 pm

OH MY! This looks delicious… I’m actually wiping the drool from my chin as I type this! YUM!

xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

21. June 23, 2010 8:39 am

with peanut butter? – crazy good!!!

22. Winkers permalink
    June 24, 2010 8:15 pm

This burger was remarkably tasty! My mother hates coconut, my father curry; and I’m not an onion fan so we were shocked when everyone adored this blend of ingredients. The sauce truly multiplies the fantastic combination. Hats off to Foodo for another exciting installment!

June 24, 2010 8:25 pm

Thank you Grubby! Your writing style is lovely, as is your singing voice!

23. June 25, 2010 11:30 am

Sometimes it’s hard to please everyone: JP is not a curry fan, I do not like coconut, Tess is a beef girl, and Manny has never cooked a homemade burger. The solution? The Curry Burger! JP, Tess, Manny & I made Curry Burgers last night. It was very tasty!!! The curry & cilantro was such a unique blend of flavors. Mary & John, you pleased everyone with this burger!!

*I see Tess agrees too!!

June 25, 2010 12:05 pm

FABULOUS!
      I’m surprised you even made it, since everyone had something they didn’t like in it.
      WAY TO GO for trying new things! The world could learn from that!

24. June 30, 2010 12:43 am

Curry is a favorite…Fantastic burger!

25. July 12, 2010 5:05 am

Loving this! I hardly ever make burgers at home, because they just seem so boring, but this one defies that notion. *bookmarked*

26. July 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Absolutely LOVE your blog. I’m getting so inspired just by looking at all these amazing burgers. I just had a burger throwdown an came here for inspiration. I made the Berkely Burgers from BBC – AMAZING! I wanted to try and make these but was wondering if you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut? Thanks.

July 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Either will work – I like the sweetened myself.
      Your burger throw-down sounded like a LOT of fun!

27. July 26, 2010 6:27 pm

Made these tonight and WOW were they good! Thanks

July 26, 2010 7:35 pm

SPLENDID!
      and thank YOU!

28. July 30, 2010 10:17 pm

This burger was fantastic! Tried it this evening, literally digesting and both my husband and I agree- Fabulous!

July 31, 2010 7:20 am

Woo Hoo!! Thanks for the feedback!

29. December 31, 2012 8:45 pm

Outstanding logo. Funny. Photo is good enough to eat.
    Cobbling together a recipe. I’ll take your pepper flakes.
    Ever try this with ground lamb?

January 1, 2013 12:46 pm

Thank you David.
      I’m not a lamb fan – but if you do try it – come back and let us know how it worked.
      ~ Mary