Kuma’s Agenda of Swine Burger

June 9, 2010

June is Burger Extravaganza Month here at Foodo.
You can also check out all of our burgers HERE

It’s tough here in Chicago when you can’t find pretzel buns anywhere.  Pretzel hoagie buns, sure, but no buns.  I had Kuma’s on my mind and really was itching to make their October Burger of the Month.. So itchy that I was resorting to make my own damn buns.

Because a Kuma burger isn’t a Kuma burger without ‘em!  I had everything lined up and ready to go, then in pops John, back from a jaunt to the suburbs that included a trip to LaBriola Bakery.  He jovially tosses the buns on the counter and cries “Voila, PRETZEL BUNS!!!!! “.

one year ago: Ceviche,  Spicy Black Bean Humus

Kuma’s Agenda of Swine

Pork Belly

You can make your own by braising it for about three hours in the oven at around 250.  I made this in advance and froze it until I needed it.  You’ll want to cut it into 1″ slabs and heat it up on the grill.  I had a 2 pound slab and had a lot left over.

Carmelized Onions

Saute’ until nice and brown:

4 Cups sliced Onions

2-3 Tbsp Butter

Dash Kosher Salt

Chipotle Glaze

In small sauce pan, over medium heat, simmer until hot:

4 Tbsp Honey

3 Tbsp Lime Juice

5 Tbsp Chipotle Sauce from a can

1/4 Cup Butter

Pinch of Kosher Salt

Burger

Make into 4-6 patties and grill to liking.

2 Pounds 80/20 Ground Chuck (80% Lean 20% Fat)

Season with Salt & Pepper on the grill

Assembly

Use a high quality, strong bun

Place on burger

Top with Carmelized Onions, Pork Belly and douse generously with Chipotle Glaze

June 9, 2010 8:57 am

Oh my! How does one get ones mouth around that? It’s HUGE!
    That’s half pound of chuck per burger. Never mind the slab of pig fat!
    Oh my!!

June 9, 2010 10:02 am

After making this, I discovered a new product at Gene’s Sausage Shop
      Smoked, then boiled Pork Belly!
      I couldn’t believe my eyes! It had just come out of the vat, and the butcher was very proud, in his limited English, that it was still hot.
      I snapped some up and hustled off to place that PIG FAT on a bun.
      It was sooooo extraordinarily delicious melting in my mouth! Yes, I shared w/John!
      I guess what I’m trying to say is, next time I make these burgers, it will be so much easier to just buy the pork belly pre-done from Gene’s!

• Pat permalink
        June 9, 2010 10:32 am

That Gene’s Sausage Shop has become our Best Friend!
        I just wish he had a second shop in the Twin Cities!

June 9, 2010 8:58 am

Did I mention, it has my mouth watering?!?!

3. June 9, 2010 5:05 pm

you are on a roll my friend!!! no pun intended this looks absolutely fantastic I see another Top 9 in your future here congrats great job! love your burgers and the presentation!

4. June 9, 2010 7:29 pm

Hokey smokes. I’m not even hungry and my mouth is watering. It’s beautiful, but I may as well just plaster it on my butt and save my body the work of turning it into fat. :(

June 9, 2010 8:31 pm

hahahahaha…..so true ;-)
      But so much more fun to eat!

5. June 9, 2010 8:02 pm

I found the pretzel buns at Trader Joe’s. Omg are they good! I can only imagine how tasty that burger is….

6. June 9, 2010 8:22 pm

Another great one:)

7. June 10, 2010 5:35 am

Oh MY! That is one very delicious burger.

8. June 10, 2010 6:44 am

Thank you for bringing a little sunshine into my life. Until this moment I have never heard of pretzel buns, but now I don’t think I will ever forget. I need to find a recipe pronto. I love the honey wheat twist pretzels… I am drooling right now thinking of them as a burger bun!!

9. June 10, 2010 8:19 am

Wow. I need a knife and fork to dig into this and get all the flavors at once. This is burger-heaven, burger-beauty. And there’s a sausage shop in Minneapolis that can give me all I need. I love it with the pretzel buns. Note to self: Pick up pretzel buns.

June 10, 2010 8:23 am

Hey Claudia – what’s the name of that sausage shop? Several family member live in Mpls and would LOVE to know!

10. June 10, 2010 9:47 am

Wow! i can feel my cholesterol going up just looking at this, looks decadent and delicious.

11. June 10, 2010 10:01 am

that’s just sinful – good thing I’m feeling a little devilish…

12. June 10, 2010 10:57 am

This is a total man-man burger. My husband would demand to make this all the time.

13. June 10, 2010 4:52 pm

OMG! Wow does that look good! This is what summer fare is all about (actually I think any time of the year this is good for!).

14. June 10, 2010 9:40 pm

OMG Beefabulous!!! My hubby, aka The Carnivore could only assume he died and went to heaven if I served him one of the fat boys! Sounds and looks fabulous!

15. Susan permalink
    June 23, 2010 4:25 pm

pretzel buns. i get them at the trader joes on clyborne.

you’re welcome.

June 23, 2010 4:36 pm

please, let me say it though:
      THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

16. June 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Those burgers are huge, OMG!!! They look so irresistible!!

17. Elaine permalink
    June 30, 2010 3:59 pm

I don’t know which Gene’s location you went to, but the Lincoln Square one actually has pretzel buns (which run out quickly on weekends) near the cash registers! I just moved down to Logan Square and am going through some serious Gene’s withdrawal.

June 30, 2010 4:05 pm

Sister! You’re sorta close to the Gene’s I go to: Belmont and 5330 West Belmont. They have some pretty good buns, but no pretzel (that I have seen). Someone said Trader Joe’s carries them.
      And since you’re in Logan Square I do hope you have gotten not only to Kuma’s, but also Revolution Brewery!
      ~Mary

• Elaine permalink
        June 30, 2010 4:10 pm

I do love me some Kuma’s. The hubs and I just moved here last month, but I have a giant wish list for food-related outings, especially Revolution Brewery, Longman + Eagle, and–with no disrespect to Gene’s, because it was my first love–Kurowski Sausages, because they sell pickles by the pound and give away free stock bones if you buy meat from the counter! Woot!

June 30, 2010 4:29 pm

I’ve never been to Kurowski – I’ll be going soon though ;-)
          Thanks for the reco!
          We went to Longman & Eagle a couple weeks ago. It was nice, but I like Revolution’s atmosphere much better.

18. July 1, 2010 10:32 am

Gumballhead!

These look FANTASTIC. LaBriola was selling the pretzel buns at the Daley Plaza Farmers’ Market but I don’t know if they still do.

19. July 1, 2010 11:27 am

Gawd, I wish I could reach into my computer screen and pull out one of these juicy, messy babies. And on a pretzel bun, too?? Looks like a slam-dunk winner to me.

20. July 1, 2010 1:40 pm

It’s like you did this one just for me! GREG

21. zapata36 permalink
    July 19, 2010 7:48 pm

what the hell is chipotle sause graham england

22. foodlvr permalink
    August 23, 2010 1:57 pm

OMG does this look amazing. We can’t get Pretzel Buns here in NJ, anywhere, so I have to bake my own. Lucky your man found you some. Our bakery has no idea what I am talking about when I mention them.

Thanks for sharing. This looks so good. I want one soooo badly.

1. Foodista Blog - Everything Grillable